• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

With trepidation ;) -- please recommend a good, inexpensive Class D amp with USB DAC.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I am starting a thread with an actual question -- although I know I could read reviews and threads here and probably find good answers myself! ;)

Our son & daughter-in-law bought their first house this past autumn. He asked me to set him up with some 'real' loudspeakers for what is in essence a desktop hifi (he's got a fairly serious desktop computer, as his avocation is comp sci). I knew (well... I assumed) he wanted to keep things small.

For starters, I set him up with one of those little Lepai "20 watt" Tripath chip (supposedly) amps sold by PartsExpress (and still available, ostensibly with a modern TI amp chip), a cheap little FXAudio DAC (a cheapie 'buyout' also from PE) and an early pair of Cambridge Soundworks Model Six loudspeakers. I was pretty pleased with the way the combo sounded here, and he is, too -- although he said he's getting some noise from the USB and/or the DAC.

1627404637391.jpeg

DSC_0935 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_0366 (2r).JPG

He should really have something a notch nicer than either the Lepai or the FX DAC, but I hit analysis paralysis when I look at the myriad little desktop amp boxes, with or without built in DACs.

Ideally, I am looking for a small, inexpensive (maybe $100 to 150 USD) Class D amp, ca. a 'real' 40 watts per channel into 8 ohms (negotiable on that, though) and, again ideally, with a decent quality DAC that can take signal direct from a computer USB.

As an aside, if there's a better way to get 'quiet' signal from his 'pute's USB, that would be of interest, too.

I prefer a US vendor although Amazon is OK.
I am pretty agnostic in terms of brand, though.

Thanks for any and all advice/suggestions!

P1030619.jpg

For reference: Here's a photo of their unhinged yet completely adorable cat Felicitous (his friends call him "Felix") providing a CAT scan of one of the CSW Sixes last week in Alexandria, VA. :)

Last edited:

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I can't say enough good things about the Aiyima A07 amplifier with the stock 32v/5a power supply, available on Amazon for $80. I've owned a lot of T/D amps and it is excellent and has plenty of power for 8 or 6 ohm speakers; one can modify the OP amps for even better sound. If the kids really want an all in one unit, I have heard very good things about the Loxjie noted above. Either of these will sound much better than the Lepai amp!

Katji

Major Contributor
[ Yes, I can see he's a nice cat. ] :)

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have no recommendations for you. But it's nice to know there are at least two BX-100s here in Alexandria. :cool:

OP
mhardy6647

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I have no recommendations for you. But it's nice to know there are at least two BX-100s here in Alexandria. :cool:
Sorry, that's an old photo. That BX-100 is (most likely) still in Massachusetts, where I found it, years back, at the Harvard (MA) town dump :) I was testin' it with the Lepai when the photo was taken. :) It worked fine. I think I gave it away, although I do still have (if memory serves) a BX-125 of the same provenance.

No analog sources at the kids' house (AFAIK). :rolleyes:

Top Bottom