• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

With modern class D, is there One Integrated Amp to Rule Them All?

SoaDMTGguy

Seeing the sort of performance that the Hypex NC400 designs and similar can produce, I’ve be wondering about the existence of a high-power do-it-all integrated amp.

Basically, what I’m looking for is something that combines line inputs with a DAC and phono stage and outputs at least 100 WPC into 8 ohms.

Mostly what I’ve found are power amps, or expensive integrated’s that lack phono or a DAC. Does something like this exist currently?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

SMc

NAD M33 and Mola Mola Kula if we're limiting to Class D.

Reactions: gjm

Vasr

Major Contributor
Not yet in lower price range but soon one would hope.

Most of the boutique shops doing Class D amps so far at the lower end of the price range are like PC builders who take the third party modules and put them together. I don't expect they all have the expertise necessary for the pre-amp stage unless it is another third party card they can easily add.

I would expect it will be easier for the DAC vendors who have been expanding their DACs to serve as almost pre-amps (analog and volume control) to expand into adding Class D modules to make them integrated than the other way around. Or vendors who already do integrated amps to have models with Class D amp stages. It is still early in this evolution. Parasound is using Pascal modules (most likely for margin reasons).

miniDSP or Topping could probably do this fairly easily, in theory. But I am not sure of the economics for them going to licensed model for sub modules like the Hypex.

The margins on the whole unit will decrease when you go into third-party licensed modules and the brand names need some decent margins to support the full-scale customer support and sales channels.

So, likely to see only high-priced Class D integrated for now at least with Hypex. But that may change.

OP
S

SoaDMTGguy

It doesn’t *have* to be class D, I just assumed that was the only way I’d get 100 wpc out of an integrated.

Vasr

Major Contributor
It doesn’t *have* to be class D, I just assumed that was the only way I’d get 100 wpc out of an integrated.

Not necessarily. Yamaha, Parasound, Cambridge Audio et al have high powered non-class D integrated with 100w+. But only Yamaha in the sub $1k range that I know of amongst brand names.

The problem as you likely suspected is that the higher needs for transformers and heat sinks in non class D bumps both the chassis size and costs up. 80w/ch seems to be a discontinuity point with plenty below it and many expensive ones in the 120w+/ch range.

wje

Forum Donor
Orchard Audio is in the process of revamping their class D integrated amplifier. It should launch sometime this year. Their revisions include - moving the power switch to the front panel and the inclusion of VU meters on the front panel. Their existing/outgoing class D integrated amplifier was priced at about $2,500.

SMc

The thread title mentions Class D. There are plenty of big integrated amps: Yamaha, Bryston, Marantz, etc.

gjm

This.
I'm looking at one of these. The M33 (I think) represents for me the best of option using the Purifi tech - it provides *everything* in one box, including MM phono.
We're looking at living off-grid, so an efficient all-in-one solution really appeals.

Top Bottom