• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

With a Denon AVR-X6700H with Audyssey is REW with a mic still applicable for room tuning?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am asking because a peep was asking about room tuning with a AVR-X6700H that he is buying.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am asking because a peep was asking about room tuning with a AVR-X6700H that he is buying.
It’s doable but either a bit cumbersome or requires a bit of an invest.

Three different options come to mind:

a) Run REW. Do the filter generation thing. Get the 20 dollar app and then bring a lot of patience and sport some tiny fingers so you can adjust the target curve in the app. At best an approximation.
b) Get Ratbudyssesey (free) some elbow grease and learn how it works. Transfer the REW filters to Ratbudyssey. From Ratbuddzseey (oh brother I mistyped that again, but you get what I mean) save it. Open the file in the 20 dollar app and transfer it to the Denon. Prey that the app doesn’t crash when opening the Rat thingy file. Or so …
c) Get the 200 bucks MultiXQ Windows SW. Import the filters from REW and sent them to the Denon. Done.

My experience and I ve been through all three options. Don’t bother. Let Audyssey do it’s thing. Better than REW filter generation. But use REW to cross check and confirm the Audyssey result.

Last edited:
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s doable but either a bit cumbersome or requires a bit of an invest.

a) Run REW. Do the filter generation thing. Get the 20 dollar app and then bring a lot of patience and sport some tiny fingers so you can adjust the target curve in the app. At best an approximation.
b) Get Ratbudyssesey (free) some elbow grease and learn how it works. Transfer the REW filters to Ratbudyssey. From Ratbuddzseey (oh brother I mistyped that again, but you get what I mean) save it. Open the file in the 20 dollar app and transfer it to the Denon. Prey that the app doesn’t crash when opening the Rat thingy file. Or so …
c) Get the 200 bucks Windows SW. Import the filters from REW and sent them to the Denon. Done.

My experience and I ve been through all three options. Don’t bother. Let Audyssey do it’s thing. Better than REW filter generation. But use REW to cross check and confirm the Audyssey result.
Sooper. I was way confused about that. You've cleared things up nicely. Danke. :D

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I think so. Audyssey is a bit of a blunt instrument, unfortunately. I run the measurement routine with the MultiEQ app, then measure the results with UMIK / REW. From there, I tweak the target curve and sub levels until the result matches my target. As described above, I use Ratbuddyssey to adjust the target curve. Then measure again. Then adjust again. Repeat.

I also use REW to set speaker levels. Denon uses 1KHz for this. Some speakers have peaks or dips there, which throw off the overall levels. So, I use REW's SPL meter with B weighting to fine tune the level of each speaker.

It usually takes me half a day to get the result I am after. The end result is always much better than out of the box Audyssey, and I find it to be as good as Dirac with enough care taken.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It might be nice to have the help of a measurement mic/REW in general to see what the results of Audyssey were particularly. Implementing it's eq function directly with just an avr, not so much (without going thru the editor/ratbudyysey thing)...

wseroyer

Yes, because Audyssey sucks, and always sets the sub channel super low, I use Rew to get my channels actually to 75db (Audyssey sets them at 73db for reasons I don't understand) and I use the multi EQ app along with Ratbudyssesey to set a curve for my subs, I run them 10db hot from 20 - 60hz then slope them down to 0 at 160hz I then put the same curve into my speakers (don't worry Audyssey won't let you blow your speakers) so that the crossover blends nicely with the subs. I use Rew to see if these are actual results that I'm getting since Audyssey only gives you a nearly meaningless predicted in room response.
Screenshot_20230201_094442_MultEQ.jpg
Screenshot_20230203_044649_MultEQ.jpg

GalZohar

The best thing IMO is to use Audyssey normally, but still use the Umik-1 for things like:

1. Measure the need and effect of acoustic treatment (complicated, but does require a mic to even get an idea what's going on).
2. Optimize speaker and subwoofer positioning pre-calibration based on REW measurements (which positions measure best).
2.a. In case of multiple subwoofers, you can even just measure a single subwoofer in each position, and then use REW to calculate how each set of positions would sum up, to pick the optimal set of positions from within the possible positions which you measured.
3. Get an idea what Audyssey actually did and what it can/can't deal with.
4. Verify levels with REW-generated pink noise with Audyssey enabled (use REW as a noise generator and as an SPL meter, no need for separate meter if you have a Umik-1).
5. Measure speaker+subwoofer integration (measure each channel with crossover and audyssey enabled) and optimize by adjusting the subwoofer distance if needed. Audyssey measured distance doesn't always provide optimal results, and for me 1 of the front speakers actually got very bad results with Audyssey measured distance.

So yes, even if you don't use the microphone to generate calibration filters, there are still very good uses for a Umik-1 and REW. Generating filters is also really unnecessary if you have automatic calibration system like Audyssey or Dirac, plus you don't really have where to insert those generated filters anyway unless you use the trick with MultEQ-X which basically disables the automatic calibration in the process, and while it works, nobody have proven that it provides any improvement.

Top Bottom