• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiSa technology and its future developments.

OP
Vacceo

Vacceo

Major Contributor
The original problem was that both the player/controller/preamp (electronics) end and the powered speakers (also electronics but more) came from different manufacturers and it was a chicken-and-egg issue. Will the speaker guys implement WiSA if the electronics guys don't do it first? Or vice-versa. Now that many speaker companies, like KEF, are making powered wireless or LAN-connected speakers, things may change. I'd love a PCIe WiSA card for my WinPC streamer/server. :)
I guess implementing them on motherboards is not that hard, considering that many, already have wifi and Bluetooth.

It seems some TV's already incorporate the transmitters, so...

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are a couple of cute WiSA transmitters that can do this

I really wanted to try this out, but the entry price is really expensive right now.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The entry Atmos layout 5.1.2 is the maximum, no DTS and have you seen any WiMA ceiling speakers on sale?

OP
Vacceo

Vacceo

Major Contributor
That is what surprises me to no end: why supporting Atmos with so few channels? Also, why not going for DTS and Auro?

Perhaps someone can provide a technical explanation for why is it so hard to add extra channels.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The entry Atmos layout 5.1.2 is the maximum, no DTS and have you seen any WiMA ceiling speakers on sale?
There are some:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are some:

Thank you.

5.1.2 is still a big limit though. It is basically the entry level Atmos.

OP
Vacceo

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Plus only a single subwoofer... For a good HT setup, a couple of them are the bare minimum to deal with room modes.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I guess implementing them on motherboards is not that hard, considering that many, already have wifi and Bluetooth.

It seems some TV's already incorporate the transmitters, so...
So................. it's time.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Where are those WiSa transmitters/receivers being sold, please?
Where can I buy the iWA equivalents? They don't even exist yet. Sadly "raw" WiSa tech is not available to end consumers. You can basically only buy fully integrated products at the moment.

WiSa offers 2.6ms at 96kHz
To be fair, at 48 kHz the latency is the same as iWA.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Where can I buy the iWA equivalents? They don't even exist yet. Sadly "raw" WiSa tech is not available to end consumers. You can basically only buy fully integrated products at the moment.

To be fair, at 48 kHz the latency is the same as iWA.
Understood. However, I still can’t see any benefit over WiSa.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Understood. However, I still can’t see any benefit over WiSa.
Well, if it actually has module available to DIY’ers, and multiple stereo streams can coexist, one could conceivably still build a multichannel system out of it..

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, if it actually has module available to DIY’ers, and multiple stereo streams can coexist, one could conceivably still build a multichannel system out of it..
As far as I can see they are a licensing organisation like Dolby.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
If those multiple streams are synchronized..........................

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If those multiple streams are synchronized..........................
That only matters if the input is digital though. If you were to hook up a bunch of stereo transmitters to AVR pre-outs, it would be quite fine. If a digital version would take SPDIF, all would also be synced, assuming the sources are.

Top Bottom