• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiSa technology and its future developments.

Harryharryharry

Okay good to know. Not that keen on running PCs but could do if there's not a better option.

Harryharryharry

Minidsp goes WISA! This is pretty huge as it'll being Dirac to any WISA speaker.

Such a shame the Kef LS60 is a closed system otherwise it could have completed that speaker.
Screenshot_2022-10-12-11-05-34-22.jpg

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Minidsp goes WISA! This is pretty huge as it'll being Dirac to any WISA speaker.

Such a shame the Kef LS60 is a closed system otherwise it could have completed that speaker.
View attachment 236736
The flex 8 is just a stereo input device. It make multichannel WiSa kind of pointless.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish many DSP would make a wisa receiver... Just something that had eight XLR outputs that could be AES or analog, let the TV do the decoding, and let people easily build an active system without buying a 10 to 30 grand digital receiver.

Sheriff1972

Forum Donor
Honestly, I had a few early soundsend samples that needed work. With the latest firmware it's one of the best most convenient systems I have ever had. HDMI ARC just works as planned and an optical input for my wiim Pro streamer. Using it with Klipsch Reference Premier wisa system.

One problem I encountered during this journey was using a mesh network. It did not play nice with my Amplifi HD system but not skipped a beat with my Orbi system, to the point I forget this is a wireless system.

As is often the case, standards and products released that are not ready for prime time which leave a bad taste in the mouth.

Harryharryharry

Shame there's not many WISA speakers. You'd have thought there'd be a WISA decoder that could be attached to each wired speaker? Is there?

Sheriff1972

Forum Donor
Shame there's not many WISA speakers. You'd have thought there'd be a WISA decoder that could be attached to each wired speaker? Is there?
Not as far as I know. I really like the solution to be honest and don't plan on changing it any time soon.

zuker81

The upcoming MiniDSP Flex HT looks like it is the device this thread has been waiting for... the problem now is what's a reasonably priced, but decently performing speaker set to pair with it when it releases. If there were a reasonable pair, I could see this being a really great entry point to multichannel, where one could integrate some rear surrounds and a center to an existing beloved 2.1 set up with zero wires. And then over time as more options become available, eventually upgrade the main L/R and add additional multichannel speakers

jaakkopetteri

I discovered these Almando receivers that seem to enable using 3rd party speakers with WiSa. A bit expensive for single channel though :confused:

zuker81

I discovered these Almando receivers that seem to enable using 3rd party speakers with WiSa. A bit expensive for single channel though :confused:
That's an interesting find! I guess we'd need to work on getting one measured, although if it's primarily used for surrounds it may not matter that much. And yeah, $250USD to eliminate a single wire is a little insane.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for finding these, I have been looking for something like this for my Genelec monitors, although at this point I have already moved on.

Every single time I see ads from WISA, I comment on them on Facebook asking for dongles.

Unfortunately they seem horribly focused on ultra low end trash, rather than simply releasing dongles compatible with hundred trillion dollar speaker systems.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately they seem horribly focused on ultra low end trash, rather than simply releasing dongles compatible with hundred trillion dollar speaker systems.
Eh, that device is for expensive B&O speakers ;) . I wish the focus was on low end Tracy, that would mean cheap access to hardware… no such luck though.

jaakkopetteri

Unfortunately they seem horribly focused on ultra low end trash
How come? The only trash I've seen are the Platin Audio surround sets which don't seem that bad considering the price. Rest of WiSa stuff seems way above midrange stuff

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How come? The only trash I've seen are the Platin Audio surround sets which don't seem that bad considering the price. Rest of WiSa stuff seems way above midrange stuff

Because actual high end speakers don't have WiSa built in from what I've seen, and dongles would allow any speaker up to a hundred trillion dollars to work with Wisa. Relative to that, it's all cheap trash.

Curious though if somehow they make more money not selling dongles, because it seems like they could get a higher profit margin just selling dongles instead of having to hide the price in a cheap speaker.

jaakkopetteri

Because actual high end speakers don't have WiSa built in from what I've seen, and dongles would allow any speaker up to a hundred trillion dollars to work with Wisa. Relative to that, it's all cheap trash.
I would personally consider Beolab, Buchardt, Dynaudio, Mesanovic and System Audio high-end. While that's debatable, I don't think saying they focus on "ultra low end trash" is fair

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would personally consider Beolab, Buchardt, Dynaudio, Mesanovic and System Audio high-end. While that's debatable, I don't think saying they focus on "ultra low end trash" is fair

Some of those are pretty good. I'm thinking more along the lines of the crap they lost on Facebook.

Platin and Klipsch a other low end options. Just give us $100 dongles for any active speaker or an amp input.

jaakkopetteri

I asked around and Platin responded "we definitely see potential in dongles but we don't think the market is quite ready yet". System Audio weren't as excited, which is of course reasonable considering their investment in their own WiSa speakers

Top Bottom