• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wireless Rear Speakers

Anteaker

I have followed the advice given here and ordered Elac Uni-fi Reference speakers plus the Center Speaker. I also ordered the SVS sb-1000 pro subwoofer. This will all be driven by Marantz NR1711 AV Receiver. My question now has to do with the rear surround sound speakers. I have the LG SN11RG dolby atmos sound bar which I am replacing. The LG has two wireless rear speakers with upfiring drivers. How can I use these two speakers until my budget allows something better? Also any suggestions as to what that something better might be? Keep in mind they have to be wireless.

Drengur

Forum Donor
Not knowing the specifics of your receiver I would imagine what you are trying to achieve is a bit tricky. If there is a pre-out for the SR and SL channels a simple RCA to wireless transmitter is a possibility, given that your current speakers accept a connection by something else than the soundbar. Using a high-level signal (speaker terminals) and converting that to a wireless signal would probably mean you would have to first convert to low-level (RCA) and then to wireless. I would never recommend this as such and I doubt it works with the LG speakers.

Using the small budget you have for simple, cheap wired speaker would be much better in every way as I see it. Now, I haven't been following up on AV-gear for a while, but I do not know of any receiver that output a wireless signal to speakers (bluetooth or otherwise).

Follower

The manual for the SN11RG shows no connections on the backs of the wireless surround speakers (confirmed by the fact that they are mounted to sit flush against the wall). Unfortunately there is no way your Marantz could power these. And the NR1711 doesn’t have pre-out jacks for its surround channels; only for main LR, sub and zone 2 — another strike against what you would prefer to do.

As Drengur said, wired is the best option, but since you say it must be wireless, you can buy a receiver with surround pre-outs, any set of active speakers, and a wireless transmitter system. SVS, Outlaw Audio and Best Buy's Rocketfish brand all offer these. Keep in mind that you will need to supply wired AC power to any active speakers, as well as left and right RCA cables running from the receiving transmitter to the speakers.

If you want an AV receiver with integrated wireless surround speakers with no extraneous cables like the LG soundbar you have, the only manufacturer that I know that makes this is Yamaha with a number of their MusicCast speakers and receivers. Absolutely no mixing and matching of brands, so your Marantz would again be out of the picture.

Last edited:
Top Bottom