• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wireless earbuds cost/benefit?

audiophile_uk

Hi Everybody,

First time post, but looking for some sound advice please. About two years ago I was presented with a new pair of airpods (2nd gen) which were my first wireless earbuds. I was eager to try them and for the most part, I have enjoyed using them and the flexibility they offer. However, I did not appreciate it at the time, but of course, being wireless earbuds they have a rechargeable battery that will eventually lose capacity over time. I find this quite frustrating as listening time has reduced from c. 5 hours to c. 2 hours. This is very annoying as I have always used some form of headphones for hours at a time and rely upon them for music, podcasts etc, but they have always been in-ear as I not a big fan of over-ear devices. I appreciate this limitation is due to the small size of earbuds and the current stage of technology.

I am very interested in the new airpods pro (2nd gen) as I use an iphone, but I am sure the same situation with the battery would arrive in c. 2 years. Purchasing new airbuds often would very quickly add up to a significant figure. Therefore, I am currently unsure what to do and would be very interested in suggestions and also to hear if owners of earbuds also undertook a similar cost/benefit analysis. Thank you.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Anything with a battery is going to age similarly. If the makers gave a damn they'd make swapping them out easy and cost effective, they don't because they don't.

If the freedom from wires outweighs the down side of batteries then buy a new set. At a cost of less than 50p a day over their life its decent VFM.

But its also why i have a set of wired Fiio fh9, and a dog$hit set of £35 Soundpeats just for the gym.

Yasuo

That's why I can't agree with expensive earbuds (my limit being around 50 $/£/€) as the battery life halves yearly (and that's under minimal/moderate usage). Usually sound quality is at most average (and other features as well like ANC and mic/call quality). IF they will make them repairable I would be more than happy to buy expensive models.

While being very convenient because they are wireless, personally I don't like the ear canal pressure caused by earbuds (wired included as well) so I use them only in limited scenarios - training, running, working. too hot/cold for full size headphones etc.

iPhone users have the benefit of better integration with AirPods.

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Have you asked Apple if it’s possible to change the battery? I‘ve done it with my phone and my laptop, and it was relatively inexpensive.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Have you asked Apple if it’s possible to change the battery? I‘ve done it with my phone and my laptop, and it was relatively inexpensive.
The way Apple designs their AirPods makes replacing the batteries impossible.

@audiophile_uk Some models in the Samsung Galaxy Buds lineup as well as Sony's WF-1000X lineup use Button-Cell batteries in each earbud, which you can easily replace by hand.
Check ifixit.com for the models and replacement guides.

tktran303

Forum Donor
That’s the sad truth of battery powered devices.

As an early adopter of battery powered tools eg. Electric toothbrush, floor sweeping robot, hybrid vehicle; 10 years later vehicle is fine but the battery needs replacement; but costs more than the vehicle is worth…

I still have a drill from 20th century that’s still going strong; but when when I last went to buy some power tools it seems the cordless power tool battery aisle has overtaken the corded ones. People want safety and convenience. Or convenience and safety (really both sides of the same coin). As for externalities- not so much,

As so it’s the same with earphones and headphones.

Replacing things over and over and over… not so much, as long as you can afford to buy it, no one seems to mind; I’m not sure battery powered devices solve anything from an eco-footprint point of view.

Has anyone bought a new laptop because the battery would no longer hold a charge? (3+ years). Apparently this is the norm in the IT industry…

On another note why has someone not started a Kickstarter for a micro cordless amp that converts Sennheiser HD600/650/6xx etc to wireless… I’ve been clipping this to the headband for what feels like a decade…

Last edited:

symphara

The way Apple designs their AirPods makes replacing the batteries impossible.

@audiophile_uk Some models in the Samsung Galaxy Buds lineup as well as Sony's WF-1000X lineup use Button-Cell batteries in each earbud, which you can easily replace by hand.
Check ifixit.com for the models and replacement guides.
Ok I didn't know that. I have the AirPods Pro (1st gen) and the Beats Fit Pro and so far I haven't detected much capacity loss. I mostly use the Beats, they stay put during workouts.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@audiophile_uk
WF-1000XM3: Battery can be replaced no soldering required
WF-1000XM4: Battery can be replaced no soldering required

Galaxy Buds: Battery can be replaced no soldering required
Galaxy Buds+: Battery can be replaced no soldering required
Galaxy Buds Pro: Battery can be replaced, soldering is required
Galaxy Buds Live: Battery can be replaced no soldering required
Galaxy Buds2: Battery can be replaced, soldering is required
Galaxy Buds2 Pro: Unknown, no teardown online

charleski

Major Contributor
I have a Fiio UTWS5 and it's interesting to see that their control app offers a 'battery protection' mode which only charges the earbuds to 85%. Apparently most of the damage to battery life comes from squeezing in the last 15-20% of battery capacity, when the charger switches to constant-voltage mode.

OP
A

audiophile_uk

That’s the sad truth of battery powered devices.

As an early adopter of battery powered tools eg. Electric toothbrush, floor sweeping robot, hybrid vehicle; 10 years later vehicle is fine but the battery needs replacement; but costs more than the vehicle is worth…

I still have a drill from 20th century that’s still going strong; but when when I last went to buy some power tools it seems the cordless power tool battery aisle has overtaken the corded ones. People want safety and convenience. Or convenience and safety (really both sides of the same coin). As for externalities- not so much,

As so it’s the same with earphones and headphones.

Replacing things over and over and over… not so much, as long as you can afford to buy it, no one seems to mind; I’m not sure battery powered devices solve anything from an eco-footprint point of view.

Has anyone bought a new laptop because the battery would no longer hold a charge? (3+ years). Apparently this is the norm in the IT industry…

On another note why has someone not started a Kickstarter for a micro cordless amp that converts Sennheiser HD600/650/6xx etc to wireless… I’ve been clipping this to the headband for what feels like a decade…

I do actually have a NYT subscription so thank you very much for this

OP
A

audiophile_uk

@audiophile_uk
WF-1000XM3: Battery can be replaced no soldering required
WF-1000XM4: Battery can be replaced no soldering required

Galaxy Buds: Battery can be replaced no soldering required
Galaxy Buds+: Battery can be replaced no soldering required
Galaxy Buds Pro: Battery can be replaced, soldering is required
Galaxy Buds Live: Battery can be replaced no soldering required
Galaxy Buds2: Battery can be replaced, soldering is required
Galaxy Buds2 Pro: Unknown, no teardown online
Really helpful thank you - I was also seriously looking at the 1000XM4 and did not realise they had this benefit

staticV3

Master Contributor
Really helpful thank you - I was also seriously looking at the 1000XM4 and did not realise they had this benefit
here's a super detailed teardown of the WFXM4 showing the Zenipower Z55H cell that powers each ear bud:
https://www.52audio.com/archives/84642.html
2021070512130720.jpg

If you want to go down that route, first make sure that you can actually get your hands on replacement cells.

MCH

Major Contributor
Guys, i don't own any bt buds but was wondering. How important is it that they support ldac? We have seen here how superior ldac is vs other codecs. Is it important to chose headphones that support it or doesn't really matter?

Yasuo

Codecs doesn't really matter - I was a fan of aptx before I started doing blind tests with aptx/sbc/aac/ldac. If you think about it, will you stream lossless, own some high end earbuds, and be able to hear the difference? Ldac is Sony's variant of higher rate & quality codecs since aptx went exclusively to qualcomm (licensing). I can see it being useful at home for some fancy BT receiver.

Reactions: MCH

Adaboy4z

Wireless are so convenient. I tried using my wired headphones more, but the dang wire constantly getting in the way. I have two sets of wireless ear buds (one stays at work, other for work in/out of the house) and if they last me 5 years that's great.

tktran303

Forum Donor
^^^^

See?

No one care about externalities.
And who could blame you?

Convenience over longevity.

Where I live it’s taken decades to setup plastic recycling. But turns out it was all shipped overseas to China. The public only found out after China stopped buying our plastic junk.

In 20 years we may have consumer electronics recycling.

Wall-E here we come!

Top Bottom