• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wireless Active Speakers and Routers

panther

I have been thinking of going to a wireless active speaker option with either the Dali Oberon, Dynaudio Xeo or Buchardt A500. My concern is my wireless router is going to have to be pretty close to where the sound hubs would be located. I’ve been told to keep it at least 10 feet away but I can only get about 4 feet away. If I just don’t use the 5ghz ability on my router I think I should be ok ? Also the Dali concerns me a bit as there is no inputs on the speakers themselves so your wholly tied into the Dali wireless ecosystem I guess long term. Wondering if anyone has used their system.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
A 10 feet (2.5 m) minimum distance sounds a bit extreme... I wouldn't be expecting major interference issues any more at 4 feet, though if in doubt it would depend on frontend strong-signal handling and RF power. Are you using any of channels 144 through 177 now? It seems to be those that would be taken up by the wireless transmission. I would expect the router's auto channel algorithm to be avoiding them, but operation nearby may still be affected.

Should you have issues with the WiFi interfering with the speaker wireless, you could still supplement the router with additional accesspoints spread across the area to be covered, which should allow for substantial cutbacks in RF power. These would have a LAN connection back to the main router (a mesh would also be feasible though), with same SSID and key but using non-overlapping channels as far as possible.

Top Bottom