• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wired vs Wireless Headphones

Razor54672

I recently tried the Sony WH-1000XM5 in store and was surprised as to how bad it sounded ; would've even mistook it for a knockoff.
I currently use the M50X and yes, there is a burn-in period which I also observed with M50Xs, but that was primarily due to the sound signature I suppose.

Since this is one of the more well reviewed and popular options, are there any good sounding wireless cans under $300?
Or the extra tech that go into these still results in an inferior sounding pair than a comparable wired one?

D00M

One issue with wireless and ANC is that electronics cost money. So the focus and cost went into the electronics and not driver or sound quality.

I have Shure AONIC 50. It is currently selling for $250 on Amazon. It's better than Sony XM3/4/5, in that it is flatter and doesn't have the muddy bass. But it cannot compare with $100-$200 wired headphones; not as detailed, lack of soundstage.

I also have Hifiman Deva (now there is new edition called Deva Pro). This is like a wired headphone, with an external bluetooth dongle that can be attached to the headphone. And it is open-back; no ANC. Wired version is $170-$200. Add another $100 for the bluetooth. It is a bit pricey for the bluetooth, in comparison to what you can get for wired only. But if you must have bluethooth, this is an option. Good for home use and you can move around. But not for office or outside use.

Top Bottom