• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wired noise cancelling

OneManArmy

Hi, I have a question regarding wired headphones with noise cancelling.
I am a gamer. Delay in my audio is not an option. All wireless connections have delay and/or quality issues.
Another thing is that my PC gets rather loud when on a game (RTX 3090 powering an Odyssey G9). So even with a closed back headphone I need to turn the volume rather loud to compensate for the noise and that is not healthy.
I tried to wire my Bose QC 35 II to my DAC/AMP and the results are okay. But Bose fucked with the NC with thier firmware policy and I like to get something better. Better NC would be a Sony WH-1000XM4. But what about sound quality? Maybe a Sennheiser MOMENTUM Wirless M3?
I know the headphone internally does something to the tuning and also the noise cancelling requires internal input. Also EQ'ing is an option I use.
What is your experience on this topic?

TLDR: What is the best quality option for a wired headphone with effective noise cancelling?

OP
O

OneManArmy

No one has experience on this topic?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
What about these? USB powered for the NC:

1638398491952.png

1638398513578.png

OP
O

OneManArmy

Wow, I get scared when I see the RGB Lighting. Can this sound good?

Graph Feppar

Etymotic headphones with tripple flange or foam eartips have strongest noise isolation out of all headphones. I am sure there are electronic hearing protection devices and tank/helicopter headsets with comparable isolation but in the world of consumer audio headphones they are unmatched.

I find it funny how this tripple flangy boi from 1991 destroys all modern state of the art noise cancelation giants like Sony and Apple while consuming no energy, costing almost nothing and blocking transient and random noises equally as sustained harmonic noises, all that with simple piece of silicon plastic.
lTcB5XhySU6zN3sWC0ZO_PC3.png

Last edited:

Firefly00

Etymotic headphones with tripple flange or foam eartips have strongest noise isolation out of all headphones. I am sure there are electronic hearing protection devices and tank/helicopter headsets with comparable isolation but in the world of consumer audio headphones they are unmatched.

I find it funny how this tripple flangy boi from 1991 destroys all modern state of the art noise cancelation giants like Sony and Apple while consuming no energy, costing almost nothing and blocking transient and random noises equally as sustained harmonic noises, all that with simple piece of silicon plastic.
Trouble is the deep insertion fit (giggity), and the whole “moisten before insertion” thing. Not the most comfortable

Graph Feppar

Trouble is the deep insertion fit (giggity), and the whole “moisten before insertion” thing. Not the most comfortable
Having pound of mass hanging on your head and hot skin under the noise isolating earpad isnt comfortable either. The deep fit provides stability, you can have that without deep fit with ear hooks but those hurt ears from pressure after some time so there is no perfect solution. They are small and light, even compared to other in ears. That deep fit is their only downside, but looking at alternatives, I take it.

The true comfort kings are Apple Air Pod Pros, light, small and shallow fit.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Delay in my audio is not an option. All wireless connections have delay and/or quality issues.
Whether wired or not there is always going to be some latency for the noise cancelling itself to work. The NC has to identify the frequency to be 'cancelled' before it can do anything with it which for a 50 Hz tone would be in the order of 20 - 30 ms minimum. Whether that's audible to you is another matter.

OP
O

OneManArmy

Whether wired or not there is always going to be some latency for the noise cancelling itself to work. The NC has to identify the frequency to be 'cancelled' before it can do anything with it which for a 50 Hz tone would be in the order of 20 - 30 ms minimum. Whether that's audible to you is another matter.
Delay in the noise cancelling is something different than delay in the audio signal. ;)

My current setup is a Sony WH-1000XM4 hooked up to a JDS Labs Element II with EQ. I like it that way.

A possible upgrade for sound- and buildquality can be a Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95. The NC can be compared to the XM4.

jae

Major Contributor

This was the suggestion I was going to make. Cheap, good SQ, but long term wear comfort mileage may vary. And ER2SE is also only 2-3 years old ;)

jae

Major Contributor
There is also the Beyerdynamic MMX 300, although I don't think it has ANC. You can consider water cooling to lower your PC noise as well. I've even seen people mod their loud gsync monitors as well with a water block, better heatsinks, or quieter fans to further cut down on noise.

raindance

Major Contributor
The cheap Taotronics wired buds that are unfortunately no longer sold on Amazon work well and have excellent bass, if that floats yer boat. They're not fancy or audiophile, but they also don't have any latency and have long battery life for the noise cancelling. We bought a pair each for the family for 'plane trips. I'd expect they'd be great for gaming.

They're solidly built and comfortable too.

Firefly00

Delay in the noise cancelling is something different than delay in the audio signal. ;)

My current setup is a Sony WH-1000XM4 hooked up to a JDS Labs Element II with EQ. I like it that way.

A possible upgrade for sound- and buildquality can be a Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95. The NC can be compared to the XM4.
Beoplay’s FR looks super wonky though…

DDF

Addicted to Fun and Learning

What about Bose QC20? Wired with good NC, good sound and claim of 0ms delay.
I use them on 16 hour flights straight through. Very comfortable due to the silicone ear tip with no need to insert
Drawback is the integrated battery pack. 16 hours/charge but who knows how long that will last.

OP
O

OneManArmy

Booker

Forum Donor
I have BOSE QC25 as my daily driver connected to PC, isolation with ANC is OK and SOTA comfort. Regarding the sound, it is one of my favorite. I like them more than my unused SONY WH-1000XM3 or SHURE SRH840. Also, the mic quality is very good.

Firefly00

Well actually

The H9i is bad

But the H9 is worse

the H95 is somewhat passable, but not for almost $1k

Top Bottom