• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wired Echo Dot vs Chromecast Audio vs WiiM Mini Streamer??

Witterings

I'm guessing if I'm using and Echo Dot plugged into an Amp via the 3.5mm jack there must be a DAC in the Dot that's doing the conversion and will be the weak point / limitation to the overall quality?
If as an alternative I use a Chromecast Audi with Optical out straight into the Amp I'm probably going to get a better quality DAC in the Amp than the Echo so therefore a higher quality sound ... is that correct? .... I then have a decision as to whether I believe an external DAC could improve the sound in comparison the the Amp's onboard one?
Lastly is there any advantage of using a WiiM Mini Streamer instead of the CCA ... I believe one of the liiting factors of the CCA is a max 320 bitrate which is lower than an Echo Dot ...... how much effect may that have?

Smitty2k1

My one complaint of the CCA is the lack of gapless playback from network media. Not a problem with streaming services or I'd you actually "play" the music from your other device and just pass it through the CCA. Passing it through like that does have limitations, such as if the device in question becomes detached from the network during playback, this was an issue for me as I was using it as a source for my whole home audio system. Less of an issue if you have a dedicated tablet or something you use for control of playback. Probably a better solution than the Echo if you already have a CCA. Casting is a nice feature too.

I think generally the Wiim Mini is better in every way, especially considering the price of a CCA + digital output adapter. The one limitation of the Wiim is that it does not have Chromecast if that's important to you.

I don't have any experience with the Amazon products but I don't hear them discussed here often.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I'm guessing if I'm using and Echo Dot plugged into an Amp via the 3.5mm jack there must be a DAC in the Dot that's doing the conversion and will be the weak point / limitation to the overall quality?

There is definitely a DAC in there, and it may or not beer better than the one in your amp, but you could try it out and see by going CCA optical as you suggest.

You could also go CCA analog in to the amp, and all will likely sound very close to each other.

I'd go CCA optical into the amp and if I didn't hear any issues consider it good to go. If I heard a high noise floor or other weird effects, I'd try the analog inputs to see if it was any better.

I believe one of the liiting factors of the CCA is a max 320 bitrate which is lower than an Echo Dot ...... how much effect may that have?

The CCA can typically go up to 24/96, which is plenty, considering Redbook is 16/44.1.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
My one complaint of the CCA is the lack of gapless playback from network media.

That I believe will depend on what software you are using. Using Roon I have no gaps.

OP
W

Witterings

My one complaint of the CCA is the lack of gapless playback from network media. Not a problem with streaming services or I'd you actually "play" the music from your other device and just pass it through the CCA. Passing it through like that does have limitations, such as if the device in question becomes detached from the network during playback, this was an issue for me as I was using it as a source for my whole home audio system. Less of an issue if you have a dedicated tablet or something you use for control of playback. Probably a better solution than the Echo if you already have a CCA. Casting is a nice feature too.

I think generally the Wiim Mini is better in every way, especially considering the price of a CCA + digital output adapter. The one limitation of the Wiim is that it does not have Chromecast if that's important to you.

I don't have any experience with the Amazon products but I don't hear them discussed here often.

If you're using Amazon Music with the CCA I don't think it gives you the option to cast it through the phone / tablet (not from Android anyway unless bluetooth) but also from research I've done the WiiM is gapless with some providers but I don't think it is with Amazon Music which is a shame.

I wouldn't be bothered about not having Chromecast with the WiiM as if I go that route I'm looking at it as a replacement as they become less interested in supporting CCA and recent Android updates .... you can no longer cast to CCA using Smartview so looking for some alternative as used to do this quite a bit with youtube music videos.

ClassicGuy

If you're using Amazon Music with the CCA I don't think it gives you the option to cast it through the phone / tablet (not from Android anyway unless bluetooth) but also from research I've done the WiiM is gapless with some providers but I don't think it is with Amazon Music which is a shame.

I wouldn't be bothered about not having Chromecast with the WiiM as if I go that route I'm looking at it as a replacement as they become less interested in supporting CCA and recent Android updates .... you can no longer cast to CCA using Smartview so looking for some alternative as used to do this quite a bit with youtube music videos.
Hmmm. I can cast Amazon Music from my Pixel 4a to CCA without problem (WiFi). I can cast Amazon Music from my old LG phone as well.

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It does seem that around ASR, if you don't subscribe to Tidal and Roon, or play vinyl with a $5,000 cartridge, you are relegated to carrying out the empty bottles after each party is over; ie, you don't really take audio seriously enough to get invited. Or, you have manure on your boots.
big insincere ;)

Mojo Warrior

It does seem that around ASR, if you don't subscribe to Tidal and Roon, or play vinyl with a $5,000 cartridge, you are relegated to carrying out the empty bottles after each party is over; ie, you don't really take audio seriously enough to get invited. Or, you have manure on your boots.
big insincere ;)
I feel your pain, although I don't completely agree. ASR is cost conscious, just read the reviews, ignore the trolls.

Apple sells headphone adapters for use with USB-C or Lightning connector that includes a decent DAC for $9. Most of us have smartphones and tablets which can function as music streamers.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pple-vs-google-usb-c-headphone-adapters.5541/

A generic 3.5mm to RCA stereo cable will connect to most any stereo system at a very low cost. I plan to try this out over the weekend. YMMV

BTW Cleveland Rocks

OP
W

Witterings

Hmmm. I can cast Amazon Music from my Pixel 4a to CCA without problem (WiFi). I can cast Amazon Music from my old LG phone as well.

Many weeks later the thread came back to life but made me re-read part of it as well ..... you were right to pull me up on it. I actually meant iOS rather than Android so my bad.

ClassicGuy

Many weeks later the thread came back to life but made me re-read part of it as well ..... you were right to pull me up on it. I actually meant iOS rather than Android so my bad.

Ah, yes, I think some people list the lack of support on iOS as a problem for CCA. I don't have iPhones any more so cannot confirm.

OP
W

Witterings

Ah, yes, I think some people list the lack of support on iOS as a problem for CCA. I don't have iPhones any more so cannot confirm.

Haaggh ... You don't have iPhones any more .. sounds you're in the same camp as me.
I only have them for various work reasons (and we're going back to iPad mini 2 and the 1st SE) but I must admit I've never been an Apple fan ..... a large part of the reason they force you into their way of the highway and won't play with other devices .... CCA just being one example of many .. so F**& them

ClassicGuy

Haaggh ... You don't have iPhones any more .. sounds you're in the same camp as me.
I only have them for various work reasons (and we're going back to iPad mini 2 and the 1st SE) but I must admit I've never been an Apple fan ..... a large part of the reason they force you into their way of the highway and won't play with other devices .... CCA just being one example of many .. so F**& them

One possible advantage to the iPhone environment would be that if a device supports Airplay, then you can stream any service (Amazon, Deezer etc.) to the said device. Or maybe I am not understanding it correctly?

Willem

Major Contributor
I believe one of the liiting factors of the CCA is a max 320 bitrate
This is not true. If the bitrate is low it is because of the streaming service (e.g. Spotify), not because of the streamer.

Willem

Major Contributor
or play vinyl with a $5,000 cartridge, you are relegated to carrying out the empty bottles after each party is over
On the contrary, many here would argue that vinyl is waste of money and will get you inferior sound quality. A basic CD player or a Chromecast Audio will beat any expensive vinyl rig, as I can illustrate here any day with Spotify through a Chromecast Audio against my good old Linn Sondek LP12/ SME/V15iii, bought many years ago.

Willem

Major Contributor
You could also go CCA analog in to the amp, and all will likely sound very close to each other.

I'd go CCA optical into the amp and if I didn't hear any issues consider it good to go.
I started with the internal DAC of the CCA into the (analogue) input of my old Quad 33 preamp, and it was fine. I still do that for a secundary system. I now use the CCA optical digital output into an RME ADI-2 DAC, which is a bit better, but probably because the ADI-2 is such a better preamp than the old Quad33.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My one complaint of the CCA is the lack of gapless playback from network media.
That is a DLNA limitation. It bugs me too, but there's nothing I can do about it.

The Chromecast as a casting endpoint does allow iPhones to direct it. I've experienced that since at least 2014. I'm Android, but it always seems to be the ladies with the iPhones...

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On the contrary, many here would argue that vinyl is waste of money and will get you inferior sound quality. A basic CD player or a Chromecast Audio will beat any expensive vinyl rig, as I can illustrate here any day with Spotify through a Chromecast Audio against my good old Linn Sondek LP12/ SME/V15iii, bought many years ago.
I have run a Chromecast HDMI into my AVR for nearly a decade. It handles audio and video. Music from local storage, DLNA, a streaming service...video from YouTube, PBS, click it and it plays. I still don't see why I would ever buy an expensive streamer.

ClassicGuy

I have run a Chromecast HDMI into my AVR for nearly a decade. It handles audio and video. Music from local storage, DLNA, a streaming service...video from YouTube, PBS, click it and it plays. I still don't see why I would ever buy an expensive streamer.
From your description, sounds like you are talking about Chromecast, instead of Chromecast Audio.

Top Bottom