• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wirecutter- Best stereo receiver

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-stereo-receiver

For 86db/W sensitivity speakers, this Sony gives an honest 100Wpc, a THD below the noise floor of a typical listening room, from .1 Watts all the way to 100W (-10dB to +20dB amplification), making IMHO audibly transparent AND affordable.

Why spend more?

Last edited:

Daverz

Major Contributor
The Onkyo looks better if you don't need bluetooth.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the link. Comparison amp reviews that include both measurement and blind testing are hard to find. The .5% distortion measured is arguably audible...and indeed the listeners heard small differences between the Onkyo 8020 and the Pioneer. But, if you were asked to make recommendations to a good friend with a tiny budget, both models should be considered.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
I use a cheap 2 channel receiver to run my outdoor speakers. They're cheaper than cheap 2 channel amps.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
When I read those reviews I really wonder how they come up with their decisions. The spec sheet/feature list/price? That's not really a review: it's a consumer's guide to products on the market, on the basis of readily available information which anyone can access given enough time. It's easy work done for the time-pressed person.

I hate that I have no real way to make an assessment about the products out there from where I'm sitting, and that all of the professionals I have access to are equally limited.

OP
T

tktran303

Forum Donor
When I read those reviews I really wonder how they come up with their decisions...It's easy work done for the time-pressed person.

Perhaps you missed the part in the article under
How We Tested:

In summary- blinded, level matched testing matched to 0.03dB
Listeners get to choose own music and switch freely
Followed by checking out ergonomics and features
Concluded by (THD vs power) measurements

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Perhaps you missed the part in the article under
How We Tested:

In summary- blinded, level matched testing matched to 0.03dB
Listeners get to choose own music and switch freely
Followed by checking out ergonomics and features
Concluded by (THD vs power) measurements
True, I did. Thanks.

Just take my post as a general rant.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It clearly has a discrete class AB amp too:

1563147146189.png

And a decent transformer:

1563147181957.png

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/av-receivers/str-dh190/specifications

I don't know how they can produce it for the price to be honest. Must be all plastic front panels and knobs, but great value if you ask me for someone starting out.

Top Bottom