• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wine thread - what are you enjoying?

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
Last night. Falkenstein Pet Nat vanished. Carema came alive about an hour in. Great lineup with pizza and a viewing of Stop Making Sense.

Wine.jpeg

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Too bad I didn't know you when I lived in Illinois, @TulseLuper. I could have helped you dispose of those toxic spoiled grape juice bottles. :cool:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just had dinner in the garden of the Jülg winery in Schweigen/South Palatia/Germany after a hike in the woods. Had a glass of 2020 Scheurebe (a dry white with very elegant fruit notes).
scheurebe-2020.jpg

Bought 3 bottles for €9.40 each. Since this spring Jülg is member of the VDP so we can expect prices to rise in the coming years.

EDIT: added links and pic.

Last edited:
OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What’s second from the right?

I bet the Trevallon was cool. I had a couple 97s a few years ago… very good Cassoulet wine.
Second from the right was a 2006 Julien Courtois 100% gamay chaudenay, which is a varietal I did look up on google. It was past its prime but still had good fruit and sufficient acidity. Plenty of barnyard funk too. The front label was all art, no information, hence the back label displayed above.

The Trevallon was unanimously the wine of the night.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
The Strohmeier made the table very happy. Vendangeur Masque is not my favorite De Moor cuvée but was good.

Attachments

• C6D8FA1D-D33E-44C7-B997-26FA1091EEAC.jpeg
    C6D8FA1D-D33E-44C7-B997-26FA1091EEAC.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 73

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Dinner last night. We have been doing an exploration of Finger Lakes- Keuka is less than an hour away, and there’s some insanely interesting and wonderful wines being made there.
5FE76E5F-D713-470A-83AD-9232134746D4.jpeg

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice thread. I really like a good bottle of red wine and have latest year been collecting and drinking Malbec blends. I like the wines from Catena but there are many. Quimera and the Alfa Crux comes to mind as good ones.

IMG_4494.JPG

IMG_4532.JPG

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I don't know Finger Lakes wines much at all but I do appreciate the fact they tend to stick to climate-appropriate varietals. Unlike some other regions.
I knew something about them before we moved here, but not a lot. Always thought of it as a Riesling area. And indeed it is, but now we're discovering so much more. And some of the stars are Eastern European and Austrian varieties; our new house whites are Rkatsiteli and Gruener Veltliner (most of the local ones are done in a Federspiel style), our house reds are Blaufrankisch, Zweigelt, and Saperavi. I'm betting that someone here is growing Feteasca Neagra, and we're actively searching for it.

As someone who despises the high-alcohol-high-extract-low-acid style so prevalent in the last decade or so, and who basically gave up on California and a lot of France, I feel like a kid in a candy store here.

Karu

Forum Donor
@SIY any recommendations on good value reds that are ready to drink and have already been cellared?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
@SIY any recommendations on good value reds that are ready to drink and have already been cellared?
95+% of wines, including reds, are ready to drink for the get-go. If you get that rara avis that has the perfect balance to be enjoyed early on, but will evolve over time, that's like winning Gold. My particular favorites in that category that I've personally aged and enjoyed include Beaujolais from Brun and Tete, the Method a l'Ancienne Pinot Noir from Navarro, St-Joseph rouge from Gaillard, Monteillet, and Ogier, Ogier's La Rosine...

The reds from the good producers in this area have been delightful on release, and I'm betting they'll age spectacularly. We have some appointments for trade tastings after harvest and crush, so that will give us a better handle on ageability. Depending on your definition of "good value," you couldn't go wrong with the Weis Cab Franc in the photo. It's 5 years old now and just hitting on all cylinders.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The '75s in Bdx have been weird. Some are just magnificent, some were so tannic that they just aged into unpleasant shells. I haven't had the Ducru- how did it show?

Old Rioja can be a marvel. For my 60th birthday, we had the 1954 Todonia, which was vibrant and alive, more so than I was!

Karu

Forum Donor
1680272A-95DE-488F-9887-73AEE883602F.jpeg

Looks excellent. I am curious - bottles from personal cellars or purchased? I had this yesterday (half bottle) yesterday, and it’s more or less as aged I can get as I don’t really see myself having the patience of storing bottles for 15-20 years - to have one per week that would be close to 1000 bottles of nice stuff in storage?

What’s the best strategy here, just be happy with what can be bought and drunk today day to day, and really open the wallet for special occasions and buy from those that have stored?

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The '75s in Bdx have been weird. Some are just magnificent, some were so tannic that they just aged into unpleasant shells. I haven't had the Ducru- how did it show?

Old Rioja can be a marvel. For my 60th birthday, we had the 1954 Todonia, which was vibrant and alive, more so than I was!
Completely agreed on 1975 Bdx. Some, such as the Ducru last night, were aged marvels while others went down the sink. Lascombes was outstanding, for example, and Lagrange met the plumbing.

20211022_123231.jpg

Top Bottom