• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wine thread - what are you enjoying?

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
We have similar threads for suggestions of beer and spirits but none strictly dedicated to wine. I'll start with tonight's selections to get it going.

Here's where we started before dinner, with apologies for the damaged label. I'd like to blame the merchant for that, but it may simply have been enthusiasm on what Governor Cuomo described today as day 56 of Covid shut-in.

20200425_191917.jpg

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am about to depart from my usual diet of Burgundy and drink a Chave St. Joseph white with an oyster chowder (while watching Phil & Friends on Youtube).

Despite costing only $30 it has very low jitter.

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Forum Donor
I am about to depart from my usual diet of Burgundy and drink a Chave St. Joseph white with an oyster chowder (while watching Phil & Friends on Youtube).

Despite costing only $30 it has very low jitter.
Any Chave for $30 is worth a departure from the usual. Especially with a good Phil show as a pairing!

Krusty09

Forum Donor
Hey.

Not a Wine guy but I saw this on wine.com through a deal site. thought maybe you might like it.

Use this code. NEW2020

Get 20% off. They may have some good stuff dont know.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Any Chave for $30 is worth a departure from the usual. Especially with a good Phil show as a pairing!

Probably his negoc bottling?

Wife and I have piled through several bottles of 2013 Faury St-Joseph blanc this weekend. Quite fine. Last night's dinner wine was a 2016 Paul Pernot Meursault Blagny 1er cru "La Piece Sous le Bois," perfect with our Tarte d'Oignion a l'Escoffier.

A800

X3nCLRkpQk2Vpbw-yhUqMA_pb_x960.png

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
As it was a reunion of sorts, and the first red meat we'd eaten in weeks if not months, I dug deep in the cellar to find something special. Amazingly little sediment and in prime time for thoroughly enjoyable sipping!
View attachment 60385
Funny coincidence we stayed there in 2006 as guests and had this wine and more with Véronique Sanders and the buyers from Berry Bros. We bought a series of private visits at a charity auction. This is the trip where we saw the portable reverse osmosis lab pull into Lynch Bages.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably his negoc bottling?

Wife and I have piled through several bottles of 2013 Faury St-Joseph blanc this weekend. Quite fine. Last night's dinner wine was a 2016 Paul Pernot Meursault Blagny 1er cru "La Piece Sous le Bois," perfect with our Tarte d'Oignion a l'Escoffier.

No - I think his whites just cost less. And it's a St. Joseph, not a more ... um.. elevated area in the N. Rhone.

Don't you feel guilty killing a baby 2016 1er Mersault and not letting it age a bit?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
No - I think his whites just cost less. And it's a St. Joseph, not a more ... um.. elevated area in the N. Rhone.

Don't you feel guilty killing a baby 2016 1er Mersault and not letting it age a bit?

I am leery of aging Bourgogne Blanc in this Age of Premox.

The Celeste-Circa St-Joe blanc I've seen are negoc. Not that there's anything wrong with that. In the hands of really good estates, St-Joe Blanc is a marvel. My favorite is Stephane Montez's Monteillet, but it's hard to find here.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I get the impression that Premox was a 90s thing, maybe driven by anti-sulphurization...

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I am leery of aging Bourgogne Blanc in this Age of Premox.

Isn't one cure worse than the disease, I remember an only one barrel made Leroy Mersault 1er that sent us looking for real copper pennies to get rid of the sulfur? Pretty sure it was a 90's vintage.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Madame Leroy put too much sulphur in her wine??

You'd think she was too busy rock climbing or bending vine twigs to music to do that...

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I get the impression that Premox was a 90s thing, maybe driven by anti-sulphurization...

Nope, it's still around, at least if I believe my buddies who drink a lot more Burgundy than I do. It's spotty and unpredictable, alas. Common guesses are changes in viticulture, warming climate, harvest dates, cork treatments... but really, no-one knows.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Madame Leroy put too much sulphur in her wine??

You'd think she was too busy rock climbing or bending vine twigs to music to do that...

At least it seems she does not have to go on tour flogging bad vintages. The 77's arrived in the states already turning into sherry and she actually held an event trying to convince folks to give them a chance.

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Funny coincidence we stayed there in 2006 as guests and had this wine and more with Véronique Sanders and the buyers from Berry Bros. We bought a series of private visits at a charity auction. This is the trip where we saw the portable reverse osmosis lab pull into Lynch Bages.
I guess 2006 was probably still / near peak-Parkerization era. Surprising it was Lynch Bages, though I can't claim enough expertise with that chateau for that to be an especially knowledgeable reaction (c'est trop cher).

We had dinner at Haut Bailly a few years ago during Le Weekend des Amateurs and found the hostess and property charming. The wines are often overlooked, it seems, and can sometimes be found at reasonable values from reliable sources as a reminder of that fine evening.

Reactions: Wes

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Since the weather was so fine the last 3 weeks we drank white wine exclusively (german). Today finished a bottle of 2018 Riesling (Rotliegendes) from winery Kleinmann in Birkweiler/Palatina and opened an aged bottle of a dry Mosel Riesling Spätlese (made from old grapes) from 2008 we had bought in June 2010 at the winery (Kirsten in Klüsserath). Very dark yellow colour and a typical strong taste, neither sweet nor too much acids. Very good with cheese.

Top Bottom