• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wine thread - what are you enjoying?

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A long time in the making, this tasting is finally happening tonight!

20230223_183623.jpg

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Infanticide! ;)

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Those bottles of Tempier were sourced from a small but ambitious wine shop in Sleepy Hollow, NY about five years ago. Since then they've lived in my Euro Cave units.

The 1998 Cabassaou was the wine of the night. It was outstanding straight out of the bottle and the only one that didn't get decanted. It held up for several hours and then started to decline.

The 2001 Tourtine was the controversial bottle. It was #2 for one guy, #4 for the rest of us. Having been open about two hours when we got to it, it still exhibited some strong bottle funk on the nose. We decanted half of it and it improved markedly, though still not enough to push it beyond #4 for most of us.

Both of the 2000 vintage cuvees needed decanting and benefited from significant time / air. The nose on the 2000 Cabassaou was utterly captivating. I'm still dreaming about that!

Overall it was an outstanding evening and quite instructive about a producer none of us professed to know well at all. It also showed me the refinement proper age can lend to burly, warmer climate grapes which I tend not to favor.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
7B5F2C85-803B-4640-893F-A37B32E66A95.jpeg

My latest purchase was from southern Rhone, ordered 8 but splitting it with a friend. Will put a few for storage. Never tried that one but it will be interesting.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Northern Rhone night here in the west 80s. The '05 Rostaing was flawed unfortunately. The '09 Jamet was the wine of the night. Levet 2005 was not far behind. Dard 2005 was in great shape also.

View attachment 281939
That's an excellent lineup! Was the Rostaing corked? Rene usually does a pretty good job though I admit that I haven't had his 21st century wines.

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Forum Donor
That's an excellent lineup! Was the Rostaing corked? Rene usually does a pretty good job though I admit that I haven't had his 21st century wines.
Sadly, yes. Quite badly. No one even ventured a sip of it. Fortunately the Jamet was on hand for a winning recovery.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Sadly, yes. Quite badly. No one even ventured a sip of it. Fortunately the Jamet was on hand for a winning recovery.
Tant pis. I still have some '99 Jamet left and I'm doing a lot of soul-searching about drink versus sell. Prices are wack.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
Accidental unusual Pinot Noir night last night. Clos Vougeot was lovely and open. Hiyu Cornus was wild and engaging (mostly Pinot Fin, but there are many varieties of Pinot in here), Ravines Cerise is Pinot Noir with Blaufrankish, the Niagra Pinot from Pearl Morisette was great although more simple than the others, Chevrot Maranges was saucy and a good value.

Unsurprisingly, Lauer's 2020 Neuenberg was the highlight for me.

Screenshot 2023-04-29 at 12.28.17 PM.png

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Sparkling chenin, a new thing for me. Wish we liked it better because the price was nice.

20230512_225526.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been dealing with the heat by slurping on wine spritzers. Chardonnay 2/3 to 1/3 soda water in a beer mug filled with fresh ice. It's 2017 ARANWA Reserve Chardonnay. It cost me $13.99 Canadian. This stuff makes a nice beverage.>
ARANWA-RESERVE-CHARDONNAY-2021-1.png

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Spent Saturday at a Saperavi Festival on Lake Keuka. No photos of it, but I sat next to Jim McGregor and got to try several vintages of their cult wine, Black Russian. The younger ones are... weird. The 2013 was a revelation, though- never had anything quite like it before. I wish it weren't so expensive.

Highlights were Standing Stone's 2020 Saperavi, Weis 2019 Saperavi, Dr Frank 2021 Rkatsiteli, 2017 Buneburi Saperavi, and 2021 Dila-O Amber Rkatsitelli-Mtsvane (fermented and aged over lees in a qvervi clay pot).

I am convinced that Saperavi is the right red wine for this region. I'm heading to Hermann Wiemer on Tuesday where their sommelier will try to convince me that Cab Franc is the future.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Spent Saturday at a Saperavi Festival on Lake Keuka. No photos of it, but I sat next to Jim McGregor and got to try several vintages of their cult wine, Black Russian. The younger ones are... weird. The 2013 was a revelation, though- never had anything quite like it before. I wish it weren't so expensive.

Highlights were Standing Stone's 2020 Saperavi, Weis 2019 Saperavi, Dr Frank 2021 Rkatsiteli, 2017 Buneburi Saperavi, and 2021 Dila-O Amber Rkatsitelli-Mtsvane (fermented and aged over lees in a qvervi clay pot).

I am convinced that Saperavi is the right red wine for this region. I'm heading to Hermann Wiemer on Tuesday where their sommelier will try to convince me that Cab Franc is the future.
Sounds intriguing. Is this by invitation? I have no idea how these things are done. :D

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Sounds intriguing. Is this by invitation? I have no idea how these things are done. :D
AFAIK, ticket sales were open to anyone. Chama Mama, a Georgian restaurant in NYC, laid out an amazing spread of food.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ridge Geyserville 2013 -- got a small sample from a trade show. Banana, blueberries, apple drops, touch of mint and basil at the end.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I need some help. Does anyone here knows a good source for wine stats in Canada?

Perhaps someone's Canadian? I'm trying to pull recent info on acres/hectares of Welschriesling planted in Canada. Supposedly there are some.

Top Bottom