• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wine thread - what are you enjoying?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sheesh. Give me a bottle of Carnivor and I'm happy :D

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
I am interested in trying more oregon pinot noir, does anyone have suggestions of what to seek out?

Michael
See Hiyu above, but it's a stupid rec cause it's expensive, weird, and hard to find.

A more reasonable start would be: Lingua Franca, Eyrie, Bow & Arrow, Walter Scott. Not really my specialty though.

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
From Saturday. Hiyu Moon Dog is nuts. Pinot Noir and Pinot Gris, 90 days on the skins, 5 years in 1300L cask. People say Pinot (/Burgundy) and Nebbiolo (/Piedmont) are sympatico, but a Pinot that actually tastes like Barbaresco? Wild. Wine you drink slowly over the night and just have to keep talking about. Actually delicious too.

The BDX was very elegant.

View attachment 257871

View attachment 257870
I have 2005 Les Forts on hand (one or two lonely bottles). In your opinion is it time to drink or continue to hold?

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
I have 2005 Les Forts on hand (one or two lonely bottles). In your opinion is it time to drink or continue to hold?
I thought it showed well. We decanted, it had very little sediment and plenty of fruit. No hurry of course, but I'd feel good about it. I don't drink a lot of old Bordeaux though...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I really enjoy chardonnay wine spritzers. I can gulp a 750 mL bottle of chardonnay soda spritzers in a afternoon no problemO! :D

killdozzer

Major Contributor
My upcoming workshop! We're trying to see which direction is this already legendary 2018 taking. There is one "control bottle" of 2010. :)
1674069504771.jpeg

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Great lineup.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
A sincere question, no hidden agenda; what do you think should be the tasting order? It's not as easy as some might think. Obviously, I'm leaving the St. Emilion for the last as it is significantly more full-bodied (not visible in the pic but unexpectedly high alc for a Bordeaux of 14.5%, my mistake, Parker gave 100 to Bailly). Then, there's Pessac Leognan which ripens faster... Now, some might say that ripe tannin when follow the unripe ones may come off as weak...

Same goes for my control wine. I'm serving one 2010 to "demonstrate" what can be expected of a good vintage in Bordeaux when you let it age - will stringent tannin of younger wine overpower silky ones in an older wine and make it look "empty"? This is my proposition.

Chateau Gruaud Larose, Saint Julien, 2018

Chateau Brane-Cantenac Margaux Grand Cru Claseé 2018

Chateau Duhart-Milon Pauillac Grand Cru Claseé 2018

Chateau Haut-Bailly, Grand Cru Claseé, Pessac Leognan 2018

Clos Fourtet, Saint-Emilion, Grand Cru Claseé, 2018

*Chateau Pedesclaux Pauillac Grand Cru Claseé 2010 ("control wine")

Last edited:
OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A sincere question, no hidden agenda; what do you think should be the tasting order? It's not as easy as some might think. Obviously, I'm leaving the St. Emilion for the last as it is significantly more full-bodied (not visible in the pic but unexpectedly high alc for a Bordeaux of 14.5%, my mistake, Parker gave 100 to Bailly). Then, there's Pessac Leognan which ripens faster... Now, some might say that ripe tannin when follow the unripe ones may come off as weak...

Same goes for my control wine. I'm serving one 2010 to "demonstrate" what can be expected of a good vintage in Bordeaux when you let it age - will stringent tannin of younger wine overpower silky ones in an older wine and make it look "empty"? This is my proposition.

Chateau Gruaud Larose, Saint Julien, 2018

Chateau Brane-Cantenac Margaux Grand Cru Claseé 2018

Chateau Duhart-Milon Pauillac Grand Cru Claseé 2018

Chateau Haut-Bailly, Grand Cru Claseé, Pessac Leognan 2018

Clos Fourtet, Saint-Emilion, Grand Cru Claseé, 2018

*Chateau Pedesclaux Pauillac Grand Cru Claseé 2010 ("control wine")
I'd actually start with the Clos Fourtet. Their vineyards are mostly Merlot so it will probably be lighter on the palate than the left bank cab sauvs.

As for the lefties it might be easy to over-think the order with such young wines. In my experience Gruaud tends a little more 'modern' than most Bdx so I'd probably leave that for the end.

As for the 2010 my inclination would be to serve that last. Then participants can circle back to the others again at leisure.

Curious how long you plan to decant the wines prior to tasting?

Enjoy and let us know how it goes!

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I'd actually start with the Clos Fourtet. Their vineyards are mostly Merlot so it will probably be lighter on the palate than the left bank cab sauvs.

As for the lefties it might be easy to over-think the order with such young wines. In my experience Gruaud tends a little more 'modern' than most Bdx so I'd probably leave that for the end.

As for the 2010 my inclination would be to serve that last. Then participants can circle back to the others again at leisure.

Curious how long you plan to decant the wines prior to tasting?

Enjoy and let us know how it goes!
I'll decant between an hour and two hours as some houses recommend that much.

I agree with what you say about Fourtet as long as aromas are concerned, but there's another side to it. It is a fuller body and since Merlot ripens quicker, it should be a bit more ready to drink. In aromas it is lighter, but in body it is fuller (a 14.5% Bordeaux!! It didn't use to be like that). This also indicates a slightly later harvest when you know it takes time to accumulate sugars for such alc. I would expect this wine to be ready to drink sooner than the others.

OTOH, you're right, after left bank, it may appear as all body and no aromas...

Lefties... I'm thinking, I have to make up my mind and just decide, I'll probably put them 4th, 4th, 2nd, 2nd. It's not a deeply thought-through order of tasting, but higher crus do tend to go for even lower yields per hectare which might indicate a higher quality grapes after a more meticulous selection. I wouldn't want them to outshine the 4th's and make them look bad.

Sure, 2010 at the end. Otherwise, tasting very smooth tannin and then going for the young tannin, again, it would show younger wines in poor light. It will probably look like this in the end:
1. Chateau Duhart-Milon Pauillac Grand Cru Claseé 2018 Quatrièmes Crus (DW 2023 - 2046)

2. Chateau Haut-Bailly, Grand Cru Claseé, Pessac Leognan 2018 (DW 2024 – 2055) Quatrièmes Crus

3. Chateau Gruaud Larose, Saint Julien, 2018 (DW 2024-2050) Deuxièmes Crus

4. Chateau Brane-Cantenac, Margaux Grand Cru Claseé 2018 (DW 2024-2050) Deuxièmes Crus

5. Clos Fourtet, Saint-Emilion, Grand Cru Claseé, 2018 (DW 2024 – 2055) Premier Grand Cru Classé B

6. *Chateau Pedesclaux Pauillac Grand Cru Claseé 2010 (DW 2016 -2035) Cinquièmes Crus

I'm very surprised to see a lot of people are interested. After all, it's not a small entry fee. This might increase my budget in which case, I'd go for a better 2010 and probably would include another 2018. Something really good... Maybe a Montrose.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Om nom nom.... Valpolicella red has been my favorite wine since age ~12. Very easy for me to polish off a bottle of that... Lol. :D

I got into Scotch over wine mostly because I find it easier to get a sense of regional differences, and the amount of variety is significant but not bewilderingly huge and incomprehensible like wine. Even so, I think this Amarone was outstanding and drunk at just the right time.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just finished a bottle of Duckhorn 2019 cabernet. Delicious.

I have to say, though, that I'm increasingly dismayed at the decision by many California producers to release cabernet very early - as young as two years after harvest (Caymus 2020 has been available for several months now). Normally I would be reluctant to drink something as young as the Duckhorn, but it worked out very well. I still would rather wait 5-6 years minimum.

Looking forward to drinking some Garnacha when I travel to Spain in a week or so. The grenache grape makes some of my favorite red wines.

BigFKahuna

I have to say, though, that I'm increasingly dismayed at the decision by many California producers to release cabernet very early - as young as two years after harvest (Caymus 2020 has been available for several months now). Normally I would be reluctant to drink something as young as the Duckhorn, but it worked out very well. I still would rather wait 5-6 years minimum.

Looking forward to drinking some Garnacha when I travel to Spain in a week or so. The grenache grape makes some of my favorite red wines.
So impressed with the wine over there, any chance you can check out the cool hotel close to Pares Balta? As well really got to enjoy sherry in Cadiz.

BigFKahuna

Top Bottom