• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wine thread - what are you enjoying?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ugh. I had to peek. This thread is torturous.
I developed alcohol intolerance after having covid. Gawd I miss wine! (And beer, and….)

Some wonderful looking wines in this thread (even though I’m no connoisseur)

Tom C

Major Contributor
Ugh. I had to peek. This thread is torturous.
I developed alcohol intolerance after having covid. Gawd I miss wine! (And beer, and….)

Some wonderful looking wines in this thread (even though I’m no connoisseur)
That really stinks! Can it resolve? Can medicine help? Like maybe an antihistamine?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That really stinks! Can it resolve? Can medicine help? Like maybe an antihistamine?

(Sorry, was just venting for a moment. I don't wish to alter the subject of the thread at all so I'll just give one response).

A newly acquired intolerance to alcohol is turning out to be quite common in people with long covid symptoms. I've seen some doctors say it's almost diagnostic of long covid they see it so often. So for instance if I have even a couple sips of alcohol it will feel like someone just injected 1/4 bottle of jack daniels in to my blood stream: big headache descends, equilibrium goes out, dizziness, insomnia. It's so nuts I've had reactions just eating a few bites of a desert which, unknown to me, had a teeny bit of alcohol in the recipe. That's very typical of the experience of others with long covid who previously tolerated alcohol just fine. For some it resolved slowly (e.g. by 6 months could start drinking a bit). Some are 2 years later and still can't tolerate. Totally individual experiences. Some find antihistamines actually do work a bit! I'm just waiting this out at this point.

I'm a "foodie" and probably my greatest joy has always been dining out, with a wine course being a must...so this is a big ouch.

Back to the nice wine photos....:)

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
With hopes of MattHopper's recovery genuinely felt, I saw this quote today and it gave me a big smile:

"A magnum is the perfect size for two gentlemen to have over lunch, especially if one isn't drinking."
—Winston Churchill

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is so far the best under $10 Pinot Noir I've tried.

-a99U_1gSVq2nZujPkJBeA_pl_375x500.png

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just bought a box of this one. Never tried a Pinot from Uco Valley so it will be interesting.

1659644249999.png

Last edited:

DonR

Major Contributor
I use to help my father with his vineyard and we would make about 200 bottles of pinot noir a year or 300 in a good year. Since he passed away I haven't had the same impetus to continue with the vineyard, that and it is now my brother's property, so I order some juice from my local winemaker and do 30 or 60 bottles at a time. Made a delicious pinot grigio for summer. Probably move on to a cabernet sauvignon this winter for next year.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Guzzling nice cold refreshing white wine spritzers in this heat. Copper Moon Chardonnay on ice with soda water.
cm__stelvin750_chardonnay-m.png

killdozzer

Major Contributor
A huge portion of the market doesn't care for expensive wines regardless of income. They perceive it as "all brand" and no "real value". In my line of work, I have to find some value for money gems for people like these.

This is why today, I'm trying the legendary and world renowned wine and food pairing of veal ragu and tagliatelle with Chianti. The twist is - it is the Lidl Chianti. The Corte Alla Mura Chiatni Riserva (which in Italian winemaking law only means 0.5% of alc. more, some yield reduction and six months extra aging) 2019.

ASR1.jpg

The wine exceeds its price in my honest opinion. Although, to be fair, this is not rare as there are millions of labels of Chianti. Still, sipping over a mouthful of pasta clearly reminds you of why we're doing this - to create an experience more beautiful than the mere sum of its parts. This dish alone, much as this wine alone can't compete with the joy of them combined.

My sincere recommendation to all who can get it. I doubt anyone would see this as anything but a great buy. (5-6€ in my parts)

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
43EA1F18-7E11-4BEF-A61B-E41FCE7DA0FC.jpeg

One of my favourite Malbecs showed up in the stores, this time in 2012 vintage.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
View attachment 222992

Yakitori night with mostly Hungarian wines. The Somló was the favorite. Nice to have a VDP auction Riesling as well!
BTW, if I know anything about wine and I'd like to think I know a bit, you not only have Clemens Busch on your table, but you're mentioning Hungary while having a bottle of Peter Lauer Ayl on your table :D:facepalm:

This is not a wine snob in me speaking, I just posted a Lidl wine, but I do believe art could also be wine among other things. Lauer comes very close.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
This is not a wine snob in me speaking, I just posted a Lidl wine, but I do believe art could also be wine among other things. Lauer comes very close.
I’m in love with Lauer wines. I first had a couple bottles, (including one of the old but recently disgorged sekts) in 2014, then visited the winery in 2015. I keep a strong inventory of it in the cellar.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I’m in love with Lauer wines. I first had a couple bottles, (including one of the old but recently disgorged sekts) in 2014, then visited the winery in 2015. I keep a strong inventory of it in the cellar.
Not that it means much (or anything at all, for that matter) but you've earned my personal respect.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
Not that it means much (or anything at all, for that matter) but you've earned my personal respect.
Ha! If you end up in Chicago, let’s try to make a dent in my stack.

FYI 2021 Fass 8 Kupp is a special one. Might need a couple days though.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
Nice North American lineup last night. The Frenchtown farms rose was the highlight. North Yuba - 70ish miles north of Sacramento. Very cool wine.
BD70092D-C00F-490F-97A6-C6DEED6165F2.jpeg

Top Bottom