• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wine thread - what are you enjoying?

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
5B7C2433-C335-4B76-ADFD-F3E618D29E76.jpeg

Wagner Caywood and Caywood both sold out so just grabbed a bunch. I’ll probably open them all at once, assuming, being Riesling, they have a long shelf life. Will report back.

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Buy. Seriously. You won't regret it.

It's hard to pick a favorite, but maybe, just maybe, the Wagner Caywood. We were surprised at how distinct it was from the next-plot-over Caywood. 2019 was difficult, but they nailed it. 2020s are bigger and riper without losing the minerality I treasure in great Riesling. Sunrise Hill is the biggest and fruitiest, but it's from the next lake over (Cayuga) rather than from Seneca like the other cuvees. Breakneck is more herbal, with a very distinct tinge of tarragon.
Fantastic recommendations, much appreciated. I'll be placing an order as well.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Wagner Caywood and Caywood both sold out so just grabbed a bunch. I’ll probably open them all at once, assuming, being Riesling, they have a long shelf life. Will report back.
The Sunrise Hill has so much peach and melon on the nose...

When we were there a couple weeks ago, there were only two cases left of the Wagner-Caywood. When we left, there was only one.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A friend has gifted me a bottle of this medoc and it was excellent. Will have to buy more.

Ch_Greysac_Medoc_NV_BOTSLIDER_2016_On_0.png

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
Love it. Of the famous Etna producers, Benanti has been my favorite. Only had them young though, I’d love to taste this bottle at this age.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
And on the theme of Finger Lakes Riesling, a very interesting contrast with the Forge Rieslings I've been raving about. Dr Konstantin Frank Winery, a solid and pioneering winery and the namesake for the guy who put Finger Lakes on the fine wine map, has a Riesling vineyard not far from Forge's sources, over at Seneca Lake. The winemaking is different, so it gives us a chance to see the relative effects of terroir versus process. Frank does stainless steel fermentation, relatively cold, and a German cultured yeast. Forge does barrel fermentation (old neutral barrels, to be sure) and indigenous yeast. Neither would be mistaken for German, but the Frank is certainly closer. Minerality is right at the front here. Absolutely superb.

1639264134221.jpeg

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
That they aren't bottled in hocks is an outrage.
Interestingly, they use a very thin-walled bottle which saves shipping cost and fuel. Unfortunately, that limits them to either Burgundy or Bordeaux-shaped bottles.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
Interestingly, they use a very thin-walled bottle which saves shipping cost and fuel. Unfortunately, that limits them to either Burgundy or Bordeaux-shaped bottles.
I'm for it. The packaging was also just cardboard and quite minimal. Smallest 6-pack I've received.

old neutral barrels...and indigenous yeast
:cool:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Yeah, this is one of those rare delightful "choice between two positives." Each wine has something to say, and they're speaking the same language, but with different accents.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
First Chambeyron-Manin. Really enjoyed it, lovely start to finish. Good to take a break from my Riesling diet.

Attachments

• 583A7BB2-7982-4B81-8BEB-A13DDE99EDC4.jpeg
    583A7BB2-7982-4B81-8BEB-A13DDE99EDC4.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: SIY

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
First Chambeyron-Manin. Really enjoyed it, lovely start to finish. Good to take a break from my Riesling diet.
Coincidentally, we were also drinking N. Rhone last night. Just a little further south than C-R.

1639557130126.png

Old Listener

Tonight, we opened a bottle of 1966 Rochas Port. Best port we've ever had.

We acquired it around 1972 or 3. We have waited and waited for a proper occasion but today we decided it was time.

When Ridge Vineyards was getting started, they imported some wine in barrels. They bottled the wine snd sold it. Then they used the barrels to store their own wine. I recall that they bought red and white burgundy shippers wines and the Rochas port. The shippers wines were quite good.

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
I’m hooked on Cupcake’s Moscato. Probably too boujie for this thread…

Top Bottom