• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wine thread - what are you enjoying?

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
IMG_1095-L.jpg

It was time to check how this wine is holding up, and we were very pleased.

Still nice mature dark red fruit, a very long full palate finish that lingered.

Anton D

Recent calamity.

The rack held 2016 bottles....only 16 broken. We decided to call it a wine party we don't remember.

IMG_9250-XL.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Recent calamity.

The rack held 2016 bottles....only 16 broken. We decided to call it a wine party we don't remember.

IMG_9250-XL.jpg
Other then the tragedy of those delicious and satisfying bottle of yummy wine being broken that looks impressive... I enjoy a nice dry Valpolicella when I purchase red wine. What do you think of that stuff coming from what I perceive to be a person with a immense wealth of knowledge regarding wine?

Anton D

I am easy to please: a wine should pour well and assume the shape of its container.

I like Valpolicella! I tend to like slightly low alcohol wine (broad generalization,) so the Amarone style is tougher for me, but the area has such beautiful blends and local grapes that it makes tasting fun for the variety and they don't break the bank.

But, as I say that, there is a great higher alcohol 'Ripasso" style Valpolicello that is cheap and great! 2016 Bussola Ca’ del Laito goes for about 25 bucks online and is a big big wine! Wine prices have kind of gone nuts and I think that's a good value.

I do not know shipping laws at all, but here is a link to that wine in Michigan, if that helps.

If you ever come through Chico, CA, we will pour wines and char mammal flesh in your honor!\

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am easy to please: a wine should pour well and assume the shape of its container.

I like Valpolicella! I tend to like slightly low alcohol wine (broad generalization,) so the Amarone style is tougher for me, but the area has such beautiful blends and local grapes that it makes tasting fun for the variety and they don't break the bank.

But, as I say that, there is a great higher alcohol 'Ripasso" style Valpolicello that is cheap and great! 2016 Bussola Ca’ del Laito goes for about 25 bucks online and is a big big wine! Wine prices have kind of gone nuts and I think that's a good value.

I do not know shipping laws at all, but here is a link to that wine in Michigan, if that helps.

If you ever come through Chio, CA, we will pour wines and char mammal flesh in your honor!\
That appears to a great wine for little to nothing to speak of expense. Thank you very much for the wine and dine offer. I think it's so nice to be with nice people. :D I was with my GP doctor the other day and his nurse practitioner all being from Nigeria and I said the same thing because we where having a wonderful time in the examination room...lol. :D

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
I don't have any wine in the house right now. When I have wine I prefer dry wines like Cabernet Sauvignon. I'm not that picky about the brand.

I actually prefer wine that has been upgraded to Brandy.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have any wine in the house right now. When I have wine I prefer dry wines like Cabernet Sauvignon. I'm not that picky about the brand.

I actually prefer wine that has been upgraded to Brandy.
These days upon a friendly recommendation and advice from a ASP peep I pretty much only sip triple distilled Irish whisky. IT's smoother, more tasty and less bad everything. IN the summer I drink white wine spritzers.

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
These days upon a friendly recommendation and advice from a ASP peep I pretty much only sip triple distilled Irish whisky. IT's smoother, more tasty and less bad everything. IN the summer I drink white wine spritzers.

My favorite is Scotch. Preferably one of these: MacCallan, Glenfiddich or Glenmorangie, straight in a glass, no ice, sipped slowly.

I like Ardbeg every now and then, but have to have that on ice with a touch of water.

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
I had a ounce last night and it was so tangy! After half of it was sipped it was OK but the first little bits where really strong compared to Jameson.

It is an acquired taste. When I was in my 20's installing my software at a big bank in Seattle way back in the 80s, I was invited to a fancy party on Mercer Island by the President of the bank. He heard me asking for Jack Daniels. He said "Son, if you're going to be working and associating with fancy people like this, you need to be ordering either a nice Scotch or some overpriced sissy wine. Scotch is better so learn to like it.".

He was right. I did aquire the taste and now I prefer it.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It is an acquired taste. When I was in my 20's installing my software at a big bank in Seattle way back in the 80s, I was invited to a fancy party on Mercer Island by the President of the bank. He heard me asking for Jack Daniels. He said "Son, if you're going to be working and associating with fancy people like this, you need to be ordering either a nice Scotch or some overpriced sissy wine. Scotch is better so learn to like it.".

He was right. I did aquire the taste and now I prefer it.
I think I am @ home with triple distilled Irish whiskey. For desert I like to have a Sambuca shot in a brandy sifter for lotsa scent sort of glass and in a separate wide mouth bar glass filled with ginger ale with lime wedges. The scent of the ginger ale and the Sambuca with the lime wedges is really nice and I just sip the Sambuca.

Top Bottom