• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows update crashes RightMark analyzer

Aldoszx

The universe is against you ! :)
It seems you should take it easy and detach a little.
Take a bottle of wine, listen a good music and just enjoy !
Uninstall RightMark and forget about it.
That's my opinion.
Take care !

Katji

Major Contributor
"Live and learn."

"Microsoft does it again."
So...?

OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Detail: Click to open. You get a blank rectangular box, and it closes. Done. I did send RightMark an e-mail.

A lot of MS haters here. Fine. I can't afford a Mac, can't afford to replace all my software, and have a bunch of it that only runs on Windows.
More MS haters here just say "build a RPi. Fine, looking at that, but all I see is " use you iPhone or tablet as the UI. NO. My windows music server is a 17 inch touch screen. That is what I want. My wife can use it. Don't have an iPhone or iTablet or any other such stuff.

I was going to verify I had fixed the old caps in my MOSFET amp, and see if I could improve the PS in my preamp. RightMark is a better tool than my other RTAs for that testing.

Tim6622

Detail: Click to open. You get a blank rectangular box, and it closes. Done. I did send RightMark an e-mail.

A lot of MS haters here. Fine. I can't afford a Mac, can't afford to replace all my software, and have a bunch of it that only runs on Windows.
More MS haters here just say "build a RPi. Fine, looking at that, but all I see is " use you iPhone or tablet as the UI. NO. My windows music server is a 17 inch touch screen. That is what I want. My wife can use it. Don't have an iPhone or iTablet or any other such stuff.

I was going to verify I had fixed the old caps in my MOSFET amp, and see if I could improve the PS in my preamp. RightMark is a better tool than my other RTAs for that testing.

Can't you downgrade to a previous version with an older cd. Just look for an iso for a version you were using before. Also from now on back uo your OS so in case this happens, you can go back to your backup.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You can use an RPi without phone/tablet. It has a local ip address which can be accessed from your PC. The PC then accesses the UI. I use one of my RPis in this way (running Volumio). You can store music on a USB flash drive attached to the RPi or it you can access a library stored on your PC. Plenty of streaming services available as well.

A straightforward, super cheap solution.

OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Windows does it's feature and security updates as it sees fits.
I do have a crash dump, but it means nothing to me.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You can use REW until you get Right mark straightened out.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had the same problem for a few years now, which is why I've gone over to REW. At some stage, and I can't now remember which windows upgrade did it, RMAA stopped working. With one of my audio cards it doesn't recognise the audio card input, and with another card it won't allow me to set levels, it always tells me there's no input, even though the card shows signal. I've tried all sorts of things, but as I've not had any trouble with REW, I now use that.

RMAA is (was!) nice in that it can do a whole suite of measurements in one run, but for anything analytical, I preferred REW anyway.

S.

Sukie

Forum Donor
I sense that you are giving a good solution, but I am not sure if OP can practically make sense and get the end-to-end connections and setup running.
Is it too much to ask you for a pic of your setup? Visually, it might be easier to grasp. One way or the other, thanks for the suggestion.
I'd happily talk OP through my set up if he's interested. Thus far I'm not sure that he is. Perhaps @tvrgeek can let me know.

Reactions: PSO

Pluto

Forum Donor
All four of my computers
Rule number one: don't allow multiple machines to update before checking the side-effects!

What version of Windows, what update? Have you tried i) removing the update ii) system restore?

If Right Mark is still in support, rest assured that millions like you (well, thousands) will have suffered the same problem and a fix will be issued in short order. While it might seem simple, almost natural, to blame Microsoft it is equally possible that Right Mark were doing something undocumented or otherwise untoward that has come unstuck.

Aldoszx

Right Mark latest version was issued in 2018. I don't think they will came with something new.
Usually, the best solution is a Windows reinstall.
You can try to install another W10 version, like 1909, and do not allow the update to the latest.
Another option could be to switch to LTSC licensing channel. That means the updates are rolled out not so often and is more stable.

OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Cleaned the registry. Rebooted. Reinstalled. Same issue. There is actually a beta version that is pretty recent I think. You have to join the users group to see it. Tomorrows task.

No, I am not downgrading Windows. I'll look at REW. I have only used it for acoustic measures, but normally use HOLM and Arta. If I remember, they require two inputs for distortion measures and alas, I am down to one.

I may PM SJ777 as he sounds most helpful, but something that was overlooked by some of the suggestions here: I set up a Windows 21 inch all-in-one touchscreen PC because the UI is logical. Currently Windows Media Server. I tested several others and they were not intuitive for my wife. No remote. I basically hate remotes. I make phone calls on my phone. Walk up, drag over some CDs and it plays. No dozen clicks, searching, or other insanity. I have icons for iHeart and The Clasical Station. That's it. I have the USB power up the entire stereo with an SSR I stuck in the end of a power strip. so there is one power on/off switch. No phone, no tablet. Don't have them, don't want them. The music server functions like an appliance. I suspect RPi does support larger screens, just have not found that yet. Only little lunchbox 7 inch which I could not see. I don't have any of the analytical stuff on it. As clean as I can make it. My tools are on my desktop and laptop.

What I might look into is if any of the Linux distros support the Levono all in one. I went through quite an exercise on my last obsolete desktop as it seems every bit of hardware was supported only by one distro or another. I think I built it out of 6 distros. Ubantu was closest. One had net, one had graphics, different drives and so on. Don't remember. It has been a good 10 years since I did Unix. Remember, when the make you a division chief, you have to have a techno-lobotomy so I am not a perfect idiot, just 15 years out of date. This is not my full time hobby. I restore British cars and cabinetry for fun. I use Windows now as a box. Some here clearly have dealt with Windows and music from the beginning. I have not. So what may seem trivial to you, is totally new to me.

Aldoszx

RPi can use HDMI screens.
Regarding to Linux, give a it try to Elementary OS. It looks nice and is very close to Windows (or more exactly to MacOS) experience.
Another option could be Linux Mint.
Any of those should be OK for your Lenovo.

OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
After deleting the registry, reinstalling, just ran "Windows troubleshooter" from right click. Set to Win 8 compatibility mode, and the GUI comes up. I will test further.

I have heard of Mint. ElementryOS is a new one. In my spare time, I should dig out one of my old machines and start building. Funny thing about retiring, you don't have time for anything. I forget which one we used at work. It was free as you don't want to pay RH support for a computer with 10,000 cores and one user. It was basically a clone of Fedora.

StefaanE

Forum Donor
You could try to right-click the icon, and then "Run as Administrator". If that doesn't work, right-click | Troubleshoot compatibility could be useful. Does RightMark use special hardware? If so, updated drivers might be required.

Last edited:

Sukie

Forum Donor
I may PM SJ777 as he sounds most helpful
PM me any time.

I suspect RPi does support larger screens, just have not found that yet. Only little lunchbox 7 inch which I could not see.
You don't need a separate screen. Your existing screen can access the RPi. Basically you can use your existing touchscreen as the UI.

This is not my full time hobby. I restore British cars and cabinetry for fun.
Now we're talking.

OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
You could try to right-click the icon, and then "Run as Administrator". If that doesn't work, right-click | Troubleshoot compatibility could be useful. Does RightMark use special hardware? If so, updated drivers might be required.
See post 20

OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Two computers just to play music? Seems a bit overkill. In other words, a complete midrange PC being a dumb terminal. I'll do a bit more searching on distributions and compatibility if I want to move to Linux. Or if I can build a pi with a big screen, the all-in-one would be an upgrade for the wife.

Continuing on. Replaced the two output caps in the Muse DAC and it almost cured the LF distortion. It was .01 @ 1k, but surprise, 35% @ 100. ( 15 years old) Better, but still going for a new one. Sending the E-30 back because it does not always resync. Sounded good though. Schiit or JDS. Giving up on my old MOSFET amp. Main caps cost several hundred as they are non-stock and months delivery. A DIY array bank was actually 1mV higher ripple. Tossup between Schiit and Parasound. Tomorrow putting a bigger bank in my old Nakamichi preamp as it had NLA special ultra low ESR caps in it. It needs a volume control too. Everything is just too darn old. Set up an old Creek amp temporally, and it sure went to crap since the last time I used it. Must have been 50% distortion. Probably not worth fixing so maybe the case for my crossovers. Found out my Focusrite right channel is actually fine. Odd way Rightmark behaves in mono mode. Whew.

All this because Harry James was starting to sound a little rough!

Currently , 67 B as my daily driver. 73 Stag in progress.

Windows version: 20H2 OS Build 19042.572 So now only the random crashes when IO settings get mixed up, just as before. Why it did not need compatibility mode Win 8 before and what MS did, who knows. Today, it only works with the Focusrite in ASIO mode. It would not yesterday.

Top Bottom