• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows/Streaming/Denon issue

ArcticSpoon

Hello everyone,

Recently I've been having issues with playing my music files on the HDD of my desktop to my Denon AVR X-6500H.
The connection is wired from desktop to the Denon and was working well.
Now the Denon will no longer play these files. Internet radio works. It works fine.
the issue is the Denon not 'seeing' my music files.

I've gone into Windows (10 Home Edition) I can not get the "Turn On Streaming" button to stay turned on. It will act like I've activated it, but the apply or ok buttons are greyed out.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you!

OP
A

ArcticSpoon

Are you using an app with DLNA / uPnP (if yes, which one) or is this a Windows feature?

DLNA is a Windows feature on my desktop. No app.
I hard wired the pc to the Denon and it worked well. Now, it's not working and I'm unsure if it's Windows or the Denon. I'm leaning more toward Windows since I can not get the Turn On Streaming button to work

Thank you!

Propheticus

Strange network issues with Denon is often a matter of unplugging for a second or 10 and then restarting.
Your description however sounds like Windows is not cooperating.

AFAIK the streaming option relies on Windows Media Player indexing and functionality. By default this only scans your default media library folders like "pictures","music" and "videos". Perhaps a good idea to check if Media player is working correctly or needs updating. If you moved your music files to a different location, you'll need to add this folder to the indexed locations.
You did not report this, but if you actually have an "N" version of Windows you might need to install the 'Media Feature Pack for Windows N-edition" Once in a while on bigger feature updates, this feature pack disappears and a new version needs to be installed.

In my opinion more reliable than media player: Install Foobar2000, let it index your music and add the foo_upnp component to make the library available over the network. (and/or foo_out_upnp which allows you to select upnp devices as the output for Foobar2000, which works but is not really mobile)

OP
A

ArcticSpoon

Hi Propheticus,

Thank you for the replies!

AFAIK the streaming option relies on Windows Media Player indexing and functionality. By default this only scans your default media library folders like "pictures","music" and "videos".

I'm unsure if i have the 'N' type Windows 10 Home Edition or not.

What you mentioned above seems to be the issue. When I go into Windows and try to 'activate' the Turn Streaming On it will not stay on. In fact, the apply button is greyed out.
I called a local pc shop and they told me DLNA is now deprecated and unsupported. I find this odd.

As to the Demon, I've gone as far as doing a complete factory reset. This did not help.

I'll look into Foobar. Thank you

Top Bottom