• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows Room Correction Software

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
While goofin with the new Win 10 USB2.0 drivers I ran across the info that Windows has some sort of built-in DRC software. Anyone ever played with this to see what's going on here and if it has any value?
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/drivers/audio/room-correction

I'm sure it's very old news to most here but I've been on Linux and haven't run Windoz for my OS in 15+ years.
Thought it better to start a new thread and not further confuse the current one on DRC.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Has anyone played with it? I asked my team to design and put it in Windows back in Vista release! :) Alas, we all left the company and the folks managing Windows didn't even know it was there and what it was and I hear the interface got lost. So not sure it is functional code anymore.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Has anyone played with it? I asked my team to design and put it in Windows back in Vista release! :) Alas, we all left the company and the folks managing Windows didn't even know it was there and what it was and I hear the interface got lost. So not sure it is functional code anymore.
That's a shame :(

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I stumbled across it a long time ago but blew it off because of a presumption that a Win tool was probably not a serious one. Apologies, Amir. Is there a live link to it?

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Be danged if I can locate it in Win 10 ?

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I don't see it either. JJ had told me that they had removed the UI for it.
Thanks, it was just a matter of curiousity here.
I use Audyssey XT32 + the new Editor app to do a little tweaking right now.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There used to be a wizard that went with it and walked you through measurement mic type and actual measurement. Seems like even with external software that bit is deleted.

What a great feature to have sailed below the radar (or at least my radar). Well done on implementing it, and how sad that it's no longer.

AllanMarcus

OK, I tried it. Meh. It messed up the balance and lowered the volume. I also tried Dirac with a MiniDSP, and that (of course) does much better. No way to input the calibration file with the Microsoft calibration.

This might be helpful with a very odd room set up and multiple speakers, but for simple two channel listening, meh. Sounds better to me without it.

Note, even Microsoft says (in the link from the OP):
The room correction feature better matches sound to the image on the video screen and is also useful in cases where desktop speakers are placed in nonstandard locations. room correction processing is an improvement over similar features in high-end receivers because it better accounts for the way in which the human ear processes sound.

In case anyone wonders what it looks like...

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

note: I tried not setting the bottom checkbox, and the results where a little better, but still not better than not using the room correction.

4.PNG

I had to open settings to turn the mic's input volume to 100
5.png

6.PNG

7.PNG

Last edited:
Top Bottom