• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows resample rate when in shared mode with 44.1 and 48 content

Chris-toe-fur

I use exclusive WASAPI when listening to music by itself, but if I have to use shared mode (e.g. when playing a game and music at the same time) what should I set the sample rate to in the Windows settings? I'm guessing I should try to match the sample rate of the sources, but what should I use if they differ?

e.g. If I have two sources playing, one with a sample rate of 44.1kHz and the other with 48kHz, should I set it to 48kHz to match the higher of the sample rates, or should I resample to something even higher? My DAC supports a max input of 192kHz.

I don't know if there's a difference in how one version of Windows upsamples vs another, but I'm running Windows 10 1909 if that helps.

Tks

Major Contributor
If you hear sound at all from both sources at the same time, you're not in exclusive-mode anymore. Thus Windows has taken over all of the sampling work. You don't really need to do anything as sampling from Windows is good enough (though not as good as SoX based on some tests). But from an audibility standpoint, there's not much to worry about in any sample rate you have set for Windows. I'd say set it to 48kHz as that is the more common and default sameple rate in Windows these days. But in actuality it doesn't really matter. It's fine if you want to set it to the rate the music is playing, I think that is the safest bet if you have some OCD about this whole ordeal.

Top Bottom