• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows PC for audio/video playback

Mabob

Hi!

What's people's opinion on using a Windows PC (laptop or small format htpc) as source for Spotify, Netflix and YouTube?

I built a RPI4 with Hifiberry Dac+ pro XLR a while back and didn't really know what I was getting. It works great with Hifiberry OS for Spotify, but for YouTube and Netflix you need another OS. Tried Volumio, Liberelec and a few others and this isn't really my cup of tea .

On a Win10 PC you should be able to play all of the above mentioned without any problems? Video through HDMI and audio from usb to external DAC?

Is this the dirt simple solution or am I missing something? Opinions, different solutions welcome!

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sure, many people do it. Doesn't your TV have apps for Netflix and YT? Otherwise, use your RPi for audio and get a Roku for video.

OP
M

Mabob

Sure, many people do it. Doesn't your TV have apps for Netflix and YT? Otherwise, use your RPi for audio and get a Roku for video.

The TV is too old to have apps. The plan is also to replace it with a big screen and projector. I would just like to have one device do it all.

I had a Chromecast HDMI connected to an AV-amp before the amp broke. This was very versatile, but I don't want to go down that road anymore. It would have to be an av amp with pre-outs and that gets expensive. I'm not building a home theater, just want stereo speakers + subwoofers. I have PA amplifiers and want to add a DBX Driverack PA2 for processing.

Just trying to find an easy to use source that can do both audio and video with good sound.

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A computer is definitely the way to go, and Windows seems like the easiest way to achieve everything.
I'm using a Windows 10 PC too, because Windows has many apps that can do the job.

Any not too old laptop or small format HTPC can do the job. Make sure that it supports 4K decoding.
If you're crazy about video postprocessing (top-level shaders, sharpen filters & co.) then you will need a powerful GPU (e.g. NVidia RTX2060 or higher). But otherwise you'll be fine.
You could also invest in a NVidia Shield and benefit from its AI postprocessing.

About the main Windows apps :
  • Audio : get foobar2000 (free), JRiver, Roon or whatever player/library manager suits you
  • Video : get MPV, MPC-HC (with MadVR rendering if your CPU/GPU is powerful enough) or VLC
  • USB DAC : it could be recognized automatically. If not, just install its Windows drivers, and it will be recognized by Windows and the players
  • Spotify : has an app of course
As for the rest, I'm sure you'll figure it out. Good luck ! :)

BillG

Major Contributor
What's people's opinion on using a Windows PC (laptop or small format htpc) as source for Spotify, Netflix and YouTube?

That's what the vast majority of us here are using. I use my Windows 10 machine as a local and network attached storage, media player, server and network player all the time, with nary a problem.

For local and network playback:
MusicBee (local, Internet Radio and SoundCloud)
Opera (web browser)
Desktop Audio Streamer (streams whatever system-wide audio the PC is playing to Chromecast)

Server:
Emby

Remote control:
2x Android mobiles - MusicBee Remote, Emby Android and spacedesk (Windows remote desktop)

Last edited:
Top Bottom