• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows/MAC to Wireless Speakers in LOSSLESS mode with no delay [2022-12-31]

metasharp

Hello,

after reading different topics, I was wondering how to transmit a PC/MAC sound to Wireless or LAN-connected Speakers.
My speakers used for tests : DynAudio Focus 50 (Wifi, RJ45, Wisa, chromecast, airplay, bluetooth).
I'm on Windows 10 actually, so I won't discuss Mac computers.

Bluetooth : works pretty well by connecting the computer (that has a bluetooth emitter of course, in my case on my motherboard)

ChromeCast :
- Using free ChromeCast-Desktop-Audio-Streamer 5.0 : works with 2 to 4s delay... a little annoying
- Squirrels AirParrot 3.1.6 : best solution so far, maybe 50/100ms delay, nearly acceptable for sync with video on your PC screen
- AirMyPC 5.3 : doesn't work

AirPlay :
- Squirrels AirParrot 3.1.6 : doesn't work as far as I could test
- AirMyPC 5.3 : works using Airplay2 protocol, 1s delay, not goood enough for sync with video on your PC screen

Speaker icon with AirParrot (wonder what protocol that is) :
- Squirrels AirParrot 3.1.6 : sends sound + a lot of crackling sounds on top of it, not usable at all

Wisa (requires a physical emitter device such as "wisatechnologies SoundSend" that costs 180€ ) :
- not tested, should be able to send lossless sound up to 24bits/96KHz with 5.2ms delay, could be nice, but would compress 24bits/192KHz contents for example

Inputs are welcome. For now I'm using AirParrot 3.1.6 unless I find a better solution.

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Shairport is a Airplay 2 program. Works in Linux I don’t know about Windows.

mglobe

Forum Donor
Roon seems like a pretty good solution given they are Roon ready.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wisa (requires a physical emitter device such as "wisatechnologies SoundSend" ) :
- not tested, should be able to send lossless sound up to 24bits/96KHz with 5.2ms delay, could be nice, but would compress 24bits/192KHz contents for example
Compressing 192KHz seems like a trivial “problem” if it meets all other requirements. Is that product actually available for sale? And if so, where?

OP
metasharp

metasharp

For Wisa, last time I was banned for posting urls to constructors websites so I stopped giving links.
However if you google the thing between quotes, it's the first result. You can alternatively find it on Amazon and many other places.

Roon is pure bullshit. 10€ to 13€ per month just to be able to forward "only" the sounds that is played in Roon...
Going for AirParrot for 20 to 25€ for a lifetime licence + updates seems a lot better. Then you play whatever you want with whichever player you want (foobar, quobuzz, whatever...).

OP
metasharp

metasharp

Interesting info:
- Apple AirPlay 1 & 2 : lossless up to 44Khz 16bits
- Google Chrome Cast : lossless up to 96Khz 24bits

For Squirrels AirParrot I could confirm the speaker icon is for AirPlay 1 and the sound is buggy as hell.

Top Bottom