• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows bit rate/sampling rate setting vs. source file bit rate/sampling rate

gallantus

Excuse me if this has already been asked. If it has, please redirect me to the thread.

So I have my DAC connected to my computer via USB. I use foobar to playback FLAC in various bit rate/sampling rate FLAC files. Why does my DAC not receive the native bit rate/sampling rate of the FLAC files, rather it receives what my Windows PC is set to in control panels?

What is the implication of this? What is the best setting?

sq225917

Major Contributor
Because you are using a Foobar driver that allows windows to retain control of sample rate.

OP
G

gallantus

If the FLAC file is 16/44.1 and my windows is set for 32/96. Then is windows up sampling the sound and vice versa?

What is the implication?

OP
G

gallantus

So I downloaded the ASIO plugin for foobar. Problem solved. I chose ASIO over WASAPI, supposedly ASIO gets direct access to the DAC. I got it working with both WASAPI and ASIO.

Katji

Major Contributor
Good. That's correct.
* Even when it's Windows 10 with built-in USB 2.0 audio, install the driver from the DAC manufacturer. Which will be ASIO.
Windows|driver|advanced tab of Settings, enable checkbox [x] Allow devices to take exclusive control [paraphrased wording, different between Windows 10 and 8.1 ]
Most DACs have XMOS processor for USB input...DAC manufacturers customise the XMOS generic driver to suit.

Top Bottom