• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows, Audio Exclusive mode and NADs (d3020) implementation of Cirrus CS42528

Offler

I am still testing NAD d3020 v2, with Windows and various player software and to find out which connection and configuration I will use the most.

I might have found an interesting solution for NADs "Flat" sound if used with Windows PC.

Now, few things are known about NAD d3020 and are true for v2... Its a Class D amplifier with modified Hypex UcD102 and Cirrus CS42528 DAC. The older version allows both USB and SPDIF or analog AUX input, the latter allows SPDIF, and Phono MM and Analog AUX.

There is one quite common problem with D3020s (v2) DAC. There is a lot of reviews which say that digital inputs on this integrated CS42528 produces "flat" sound and lacks dynamics. I can definitely confirm this when I compared AUX and SPDIF inputs over my PC connection. AUX was bit louder and the output of the sound was quite more dynamic.

Later I did some measurements of so called "coil whine" which is produced by graphic card in my PC. Those along with setting amplifier to near-maximum of its volume confirmed that analog output on ALC1220 (and any USB cards) carries over this noise, which became very audible on maximum volume.

So I got back to testing of optical SPDIF which is not affected by this noise and found something interesting.

Some time ago I purchased Cyberlink PowerDVD. Its expensive software which allows to view various types of media*. It allows to select enable "WASAPI Exclusive mode". Afterwards "magic" happened.

PowerDVD nor Windows can adjust volume anymore. There either is signal, or it isn't. The only available volume control is directly on amplifier. The sound became beefier, and much more dynamic. This is true for both *.flac and DVDs. (I have yet to check bluray disks).

I re-tested the settings against AUX. Over analog there was no change at all in volume and no change in dynamics.

I work as an Windows engineer, I understand the documentation about WASAPI exclusive mode, however I cannot explain why the DAC sound changed so much.

*surprisingly to me, its render of *.ORF raw photo images is better than official software by Olympus
Edit: Also are there any tools which allow me to select an app which will be use WASAPI exlusive?

Last edited:

HorizonsEdge

My personal experience with the 3020v2 was using it to drive Q150's. It had trouble driving them bc they can drop below 4ohms (confirmed by both KEF and NAD CS). This resulted in the unit hitting 60c instead of the recommended max temp of 44c. This is why you should only buy from places with a generous return policy.

OP
O

Offler

My personal experience with the 3020v2 was using it to drive Q150's. It had trouble driving them bc they can drop below 4ohms (confirmed by both KEF and NAD CS). This resulted in the unit hitting 60c instead of the recommended max temp of 44c. This is why you should only buy from places with a generous return policy.

I driving with it Elacs DBR 62 and those should not get below 4,8 Ohm. But the summer is just starting :).

Anyway, quite a lot of people complained on flat sound when using internal DAC, and somehow i managed to fix it. I just dont understand why the solution should even matter.

OP
O

Offler

Was shared mode set to 16 bit audio?
Just to be sure I tested it with 44KHz 16bit, 48KHz 16bit and 48KHz 24bit.

The "effect" when audio gets better in WASAPI exclusive is independent on this.

So far i configured:
PowerDVD to use SPDIF exclusively for CD quality FLACs, BDs and DVDs.
Foobar2000 with WASAPI plugin to use exclusively SPDIF
MPC-HC to use internal audio renderer, with LAV filter
(software downmix of lossless DTS-HD MA 6 to 2 channels, 24bit to 32bit float and then back to 24, 48KHz, then fed to DAC over SPDIF, WASAPI Exclusive).

The "flat" sound over SPDIF to d3020v2 was fixed in every single case so I can rule-out application related filters.

I might try different drivers for internal soundcard.
Edit: Different driver did not changed it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom