• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows 11 must be stopped

D

Deleted member 46664

You have heard of deep packet inspection I assume?
... and browser fingerprinting?

You're still not getting it ... this is personal data that will never traverse the net... ever... because it's private, of a secretive nature and frankly nobody's business but my own.

Have we really created a world where we simply cannot comprehend basic human privacy?

JSmith

Master Contributor
You're still not getting it
I don't think you are... maybe I've not been clear. I'm very big on privacy and security, for this reason I don't use cloud systems for storage or phone apps for banking etc... hence my recommendations thus far. It is more than possible to prevent any version of Windows "calling home" and the data that is shared... this is very different from not applying MS security patches to an OS (which can be done manually).

JSmith

D

Deleted member 46664

I don't think you are... maybe I've not been clear. I'm very big on privacy and security, for this reason I don't use cloud systems for storage or phone apps for banking etc... hence my recommendations thus far. It is more than possible to prevent any version of Windows "calling home" and the data that is shared... this is very different from not applying MS security patches to an OS (which can be done manually).

Sigh ... I see this has gotten so far off the rails it's entirely irredeemable.

I did not say I was not applying security patches ... you guys made that up all by yourselves.
What I said was that I wasn't applying patches where I don't know what they're doing.

Then the indoctrinated cries of "sitting duck" and "stupid" started as MS lovers jumped all over me spouting MS dogma about deteriorating security without updates... even while admitting that Win7 is not self-modifying code.

What none of you seem to realize or care about is that I took a carefully considered choice to do things as I am, and I did it for good reasons... Y'all are just pissed because I'm not sucked into the "you need 12 kinds of anti-virus and weekly automatic updates" when in fact I need none of those things.

My systems run error free, they do not lose speed over time, they are faster than most and they use less ram to run. They've been rock stable for 10 years ... and y'all are begging me to update to software that copies data off-site, has update recalls and is known to put stuff into their systems without permission ... and not one of you seems able to understand why I just won't go there.

Seriously ... y'all need to give this a lot more thought.

I'm out ... all done with this ridiculous conversation.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Obviously closed pc firmware is a security, privacy and general software freedom nightmare, but the battle has been well and truly lost and the overwhelming majority of businesses and individuals see pc’s as a disposable, closed appliance. An admittedly limited range of more (but not fully) open hardware is available to those who do.

Floss advocates are a funny bunch, we will harsh on MS and Apple all day but where were we when the whole world was running the totally open and horribly compromised OpenSSL when it was being maintained by 2 developers. I’d personally prefer it if floss advocates focused on cleaning their own backyard.

They are also ignoring the obvious opportunity of running software on other peoples computers. There are problems that simply can’t be fixed by a group of anarchists running an arm6 mesh system running trisquel.

storing

Forum Donor
What I said was that I wasn't applying patches where I don't know what they're doing.
Can you elaborate how exactly you are doing this, and what your definition of 'knowing what they are doing' is?

The default short description MS provides on updates is completely insufficient for this purpose, and doesn't get one much further than guessing that it's really just a patch, and e.g. not one of these updates which break running Windows without a license (just an example, it's MS' right to do this, point is that such update isn't called 'make it harder to run OS unlicensed').

So how do you do this practically? You wait for a notification then go look for detailed information, where? And may I ask if you think you're qualified to really understand what a patch does based on that information, and whether you think the supplied information is always complete? Not calling MS liars here, just trying to figure out your threshold for 'knowing what it does'. I mean unless have read and unsderstood the source code, you're not 100% sure what it does anyway.

Likewise: you're not applying patches which you know what they're doing, but you do at one point start from scratch on a large OS of which it's kind of hard to know everything it does?

storing

Forum Donor

Really? That's your reply?

Sorry couldn't resist.

But I'm actually genuinly interested in how you do this.

Another thing I wonder (in case you would want to continue the conversation after all): since even the top-of-the-line military/industry/space grade hardware dies eventually, and in case of PC hardware that is bound to happen well within a lifetime, at some point you simply won't be able to install Windows 7 anymore. How would you deal with that?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Been very good for me since 2016.
You are soooo "due" as I am!;)
I can't just donate mine because, I am not giving away the 4U 19" rack chassis, that is stuffed to the gills w/primo hw.
I originally started w/an MSI Radeon R9/390 that was replaced w/an Asus Radeon RX470/8GB for its 3x DisplayPorts
No one would know what to do with an dualNIC MoBo, anyways.
Do you need a spare MoBo for your system?

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Have we really created a world where we simply cannot comprehend basic human privacy?
How much of that privacy thingy you think you currently got today? ...your bright beacon is really your phone, not your desktop!
Without getting way deep about the 600 pound gorilla in the conversation:
Factoid (as a hint) >> 100Billion total number of faces (facial recognition technology - FST) stored by the real privacy enemy that is even bigger.
That enemy ads 1.5Billion more FST images to its data base, EVERY month... w/a 99.85% accuracy in identification.
Call it the non-invasive enemy of your privacy... unlike your DNA.
Clearview AI
Everything else is small potatoes at the current time.:mad:

D

Deleted member 46664

How much of that privacy thingy you think you currently got today? ...your bright beacon is really your phone, not your desktop!

The information I wish to protect is secure.

AND ... I don't carry a cellphone.

captainbeefheart

If people want online anonymity download and use a Tor browser, it's not that difficult.

If you want to keep your files safe sending over the internet make your public key available so people can encrypt their files before sending to you. Vice versa, if you want to send something sensitive, make sure the person you are sending the data to has a public key and you know they are the only person that holds their private key. For very sensitive tech information that we don't want getting stolen by offshore interests we always send with our own encryption and never trust any third party, any man in the middle attack cannot read the actual sensitive information and need your private key to do so. So keep your private keys secure people!!!

D

Deleted member 46664

If people want online anonymity download and use a Tor browser, it's not that difficult.

If you want to keep your files safe sending over the internet make your public key available so people can encrypt their files before sending to you. Vice versa, if you want to send something sensitive, make sure the person you are sending the data to has a public key and you know they are the only person that holds their private key. For very sensitive tech information that we don't want getting stolen by offshore interests we always send with our own encryption and never trust any third party, any man in the middle attack cannot read the actual sensitive information and need your private key to do so. So keep your private keys secure people!!!

OR ... just don't put it online to begin with.

It is entirely possible to have computer generated data that does not go online.

captainbeefheart

OR ... just don't put it online to begin with.

It is entirely possible to have computer generated data that does not go online.

True but not for the vast majority of people, the only reason they have a computer is to go 'online'.

I'm just saying the more knowledgeable you are with computers the less likely you will get a virus with any OS, but on average Linux users suffer less viruses because of the architecture.

I keep all important information on a thumb drive where the files are encrypted. I leave it in the open and anyone in the house can take it and put into their computer but it's just gibberish to them without my private key to decrypt. It's the only way to ensure security.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
True but not for the vast majority of people, the only reason they have a computer is to go 'online'.

I'm just saying the more knowledgeable you are with computers the less likely you will get a virus with any OS, but on average Linux users suffer less viruses because of the architecture.

I keep all important information on a thumb drive where the files are encrypted. I leave it in the open and anyone in the house can take it and put into their computer but it's just gibberish to them without my private key to decrypt. It's the only way to ensure security.
Same here. I use a hardware encrypted Kingston DataTraveler Locker+ G3 32GB. If somebody attempts the password it will format automatically after 10 failed attempts.

D

Deleted member 46664

I go online too ... but that's not the data I was talking about protecting. I know about the tracking, cookies and spying that goes on and when I do go online I am tacitly accepting that (although I do block cookies and use an ad blocker)

Among other things; electronic designs, patent applications, source code, court documents, personal medical and financial history ... none of which are meet for sharing.

Probably true. But Linux is not immune ... just less vulnerable.

Local backup, offsite backup in friend's safe, permanent backup in safety deposit box.

That's the problem ... way back at the start of this I simply commented that the stuff he's talking about in that video are some of the reasons why I stayed with Windows 7 ...
Well... there is a reason I stayed with Windows 7 ... it's the last version of Windows that can be set up to not call home!
I never said anyone else should. I never trashed anything. I never called anyone silly for adopting newer versions ... And I got pounced on, called stupid and ridiculed by just about everyone. It was not fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want to keep your files safe sending over the internet make your public key available so people can encrypt their files before sending to you.
These tools sounded great when they became available, but trying to convince non-techies to take up laborious means of security/protection becomes harder than selling ice-cubes to Eskimos!
Your back-end is fully-surveilled by googles/amazons/twitters/tiktoks of the world, but that does not mean that your front-end is NOT being fully-surveilled by your ISP.
I consider both these ends of my internet (I/O) to be public domain; where, I have zero control of the data because I allow myself to believe:
"All is as secure as can be... until found to be otherwise!"

D

Deleted member 46664

Not at all? Not even a dumb phone...isn't that rather inconvenient these days, what with minimal payphones around?

Okay... I'm getting real tired of explaining myself to strangers ... just accept that I have my reasons and leave it there, please.

Top Bottom