• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows 11 must be stopped

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We have two Win11 machines at home and neither have this issue, either.
Maybe I should re-install. Nothing to elaborate on. They just show up at random when I move the cursor with my track pad with my Logitech remote keyboard. I tried installing teams, and it still spams me to start making call on Teams. It is incessant, and who am I gonna call? There is no Microsoft help line I am aware of, at least not one that would respond to me in real time, or, any other time, for that matter.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe I should re-install. Nothing to elaborate on. They just show up at random when I move the cursor with my track pad with my Logitech remote keyboard. I tried installing teams, and it still spams me to start making call on Teams. It is incessant, and who am I gonna call? There is no Microsoft help line I am aware of, at least not one that would respond to me in real time, or, any other time, for that matter.

I wonder if your Logitech keyboard is faulty/misconfigured and it trying to launch Instant Messaging? You could try having a root around in Settings/Apps/Default Apps for things associated with Teams. On my system Teams is just associated with the ms-teams URL type (I do have MS Teams setup as I use it occasionally)...

1652466527413.png

The IM Protocol link type happens to be set to Zoom...

1652466613048.png

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When the car dealership issues a recall, you don't need to be an engineer or mechanic to accept the free fix.
There is a recent optional update to Win 11 which caused enough problems that they recommended removing it.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Look ... in a corporate environment, yes an exposed server is a natural target ... But get real, the average Joe isn't going to attract any serious attempts... really what are they going to get... his wedding pictures? There's nothing there to warrant even the first minute of work.
I was cracked/hacked several+ times in the late 90's early 2000's. I never had a security suite and no hardware firewall. Basically it apparently was script kiddies opening and closing my CD player, putting messages on screen and shutting down my pooder. I had to reformat each time after to get rid of them. Things have improved so script kiddies and bonehead hackers can't get in without more effort but it still could occur. When I became a OP at IRCQ I had more issues with hackers and script kiddies but I read and read about security and how it basically works so I could protect my pooders and that worked out well. I also acquired "tools" for eliminating threats via a flooder attack on the baddies and that was fun. Nowadays I have hardware and software firewalls so I can't do anything and they can't do anything to me in I'm guessing most situations. Are you using a Linux hardened hardware firewall like Smoothwall or a small type firewall?

Last edited:

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Basically it apparently was script kiddies opening and closing my CD player
I did that to a classmate in the schools computer-room... by the 3rd time, she stared at the device as if it was possessed and slowly backed off.

Naturally, I was incapable of containing the chuckles. :'D

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I did that to a classmate in the schools computer-room... by the 3rd time, she stared at the device as if it was possessed and slowly backed off.

Naturally, I was incapable of containing the chuckles. :'D
I had absolutely zerO knowledge of script kiddies, trojans and stuff at the time. I really thought I had a buggered pooder with all the stuff they where doing to it. Reloading Windows took forever as well. It really was tedious. :D Funny now that I look back.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had absolutely zerO knowledge of script kiddies, trojans and stuff at the time. I really thought I had a buggered pooder with all the stuff they where doing to it. Reformatting took forever in the day and reloading Windows took forever as well. It really was tedious. :D Funny now that I look back.

Did you ever read this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cuckoos-Egg-Tracking-Computer-Espionage/dp/1416507787

It's a fascinating read, at least for me, I did a CPTS course (now C)PTE in the early to mid 2000's)

captainbeefheart

The DAW's I use can only address ASIO as a low latency driver so it doesn't

I installed ASIO for linux and dumped pulseaudio, It allows me to run devices that typically give Linux users a hard time. There are always workarounds for Linux you just need to learn about it.

For instance some of my audio interfaces for recording wouldn't run with pulseaudio, I installed ASIO and had to make some adjustments with usx2yloader but if you don't know how to do any of that just remove pulse and run ASIO as default. You can always reinstall pulse if needed. The whole removal and installation of pulse only takes a minute so if I don't have time to figure out a workaround, I just remove pulse and reboot and the device usually works with no other fixes.

I have been running Linux for a very long time and I don't think there has been one thing I haven't been able to get working.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I installed ASIO for linux and dumped pulseaudio, It allows me to run devices that typically give Linux users a hard time. There are always workarounds for Linux you just need to learn about it.

For instance some of my audio interfaces for recording wouldn't run with pulseaudio, I installed ASIO and had to make some adjustments with usx2yloader but if you don't know how to do any of that just remove pulse and run ASIO as default. You can always reinstall pulse if needed. The whole removal and installation of pulse only takes a minute so if I don't have time to figure out a workaround, I just remove pulse and reboot and the device usually works with no other fixes.

I have been running Linux for a very long time and I don't think there has been one thing I haven't been able to get working.

How? Only thing I know of is wineasio and that didn't work for me at all.

All this is also just more hassle than running windows, I like to make music not tinker with my OS.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DDOS Flood them in reply!~ Lol... j/k. :D

I've spun up Kali, run NMAP, Nessus and Metasploit and deployed some payloads, we'll see what happens (My security tool knowledge is a little dated)....

I was working for a large multinational investment bank when I did the CPTS. The first thing I did when I got back to the office was deploy an ARP cache insertion attack against my colleague/neighbour and redirect all his HTTP traffic through a Parrot proxy running on my own workstation. He was somewhat surprised how easy it was and it did not trigger any internal security systems.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've spun up Kali, run NMAP, Nessus and Metasploit and deployed some payloads, we'll see what happens (My security tool knowledge is a little dated)....

I was working for a large multinational investment bank when I did the CPTS. The first thing I did when I got back to the office was deploy an ARP cache insertion attack against my colleague/neighbour and redirect all his HTTP traffic through a Parrot proxy running on my own workstation. He was somewhat surprised how easy it was and it did not trigger any internal security systems.
Wow! They really taught you well and gave you some nice tools to work with. Are you like a Systems Engineer or something like that?

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
At least from an ad-blocking perspective, one weakness that I discovered with Pi-Hole and AdGuard alike is that they don't touch IPv6, and quite a few ads were sneaking in that way. But since my computers don't need to reachable by the greater internet, I simply switched off IPv6 networking.

Curious thing I discovered though: I didn't relish the thought of having to manually disable v6 on every device, so I checked out DHCP settings on my Linksys modem and discovered that v6 couldn't be disabled separately! Finally had to switch DHCP off altogether on the modem, and serve up my IPv4 addresses from my AdGuardHome server.
That's interesting, I didn't realize that about IPv6. I haven't tried to configure that for my setup. But I did migrate DHCP duties from my router over to Pihole; I find it makes device management and Pihole reporting a little easier.

DeepFried

Okay... for the last time ... My systems are no more vulnerable today than they were 10 years ago. In all this time, not one virus, not one hack, not one crash and it still runs as smooth and fast as day 1 ... I sit behind a hardware firewall and I'm no sucker for Phishing or PiggyBacking ... so you tell me... how is anyone going to get into my systems? You can't even Ping them... if you did you wouldn't even know there's anything at the address.

Look ... in a corporate environment, yes an exposed server is a natural target ... But get real, the average Joe isn't going to attract any serious attempts... really what are they going to get... his wedding pictures? There's nothing there to warrant even the first minute of work.

This whole "sitting duck" thing is totally overblown...

Obviously, you do you, if you want to run an unsupported OS that's entirely your prerogative. I'd just suggest that you do absolutely want to keep your browser up to date, and if that stops getting support on win7 it may be time to reconsider (a quick google search says you have about 6 months for Chrome). But thats not really what I wanted to say, reading though your earlier responses you sound like someone who might appreciate Linux, I don't know if you've considered it but if you want absolute control of your OS and you want to know whats in updates, well you can just look in the source code if you're really interested.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was, I got did my MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) in '97 when NT 3.51 and Windows 95 were the current Microsoft OSes.
Cool. Ima guessing you went through allll the security flaws in the early Windows environment while executing your duties. It must have been a intriguing ride. The wild west of a hacking era I think it was.

Top Bottom