• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows 11 must be stopped

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I'm fairly new to windows so not sure how to take this but some of it sounds serious. Everything on your hard drive is encrypted and Bill Gates holds the key?
He'd better have pretty big pockets and not mind some pretty spicy self made "adult entertainment" vids then.

D

Deleted member 46664

Well... there is a reason I stayed with Windows 7 ... it's the last version of Windows that can be set up to not call home!

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I agree with everything he said. I wish everyone were as at least educated to the extent he is on privacy, security, and ownership, since all of those have been largely getting worse for awhile now.

I wish linux ran my daw and plugins and had something other than Jack because I'd be over there.

threni

Major Contributor

I'm fairly new to windows so not sure how to take this but some of it sounds serious. Everything on your hard drive is encrypted and Bill Gates holds the key?
Bill Gates? Key to encrypted files? Sounds like YouTube alright!

woofersus

Audio Company
This is a lot of paranoid nonsense. You do own your PC. You just agree to certain features if you buy one with Windows on it, just like any other product, and most of his insinuations just aren't true. Pro tip: Also don't watch Youtube videos with conspiratorial sounding titles.

• He acknowledges that buying a Windows computer and then switching to Linux is a non-issue for the vast majority of people. If you want to run Linux build your own computer. Secure boot can be disabled with the standard UEFI bios on basically every consumer motherboard, and even some pre-assembled ones. You just have to have it on for Windows 11. And it's STILL ACTUALLY POSSIBLE because several Linux distros are secure boot compatible. So, not an issue at all.
  • The MemTest utility he mentioned works just fine on secure boot-enabled Windows 11 PC's because it's actually fairly easy to get your code signed by Microsoft You actually already have to do it to install anything without a scary security prompt in Windows 10. This is actually way preferable to locking down the environment. You'll notice people get WAY less malware and viruses these days...
  • Bitlocker requires TPM in order to work, but its NOT required to be enabled for Windows 11. It's just a feature dependent on hardware compatibility. You don't have to use it. He also acknowledges that you CAN recover an encrypted hard drive. No, Bill gates doesn't hold any keys - the whole point of bitlocker is that nobody holds any keys to your data other than your own hardware and a recovery option via MS account secured by a password of your making and also with 2-factor authentication that you control. Think of bitlocker as 2-factor authentication for your hard drive.
    • Also you should always back up your data anyway. No, you don't have to store it in the cloud if you're super paranoid if you would prefer the fun of setting up a backup system yourself. You can get an external hard drive or a NAS appliance or build your own server or whatever you want. Windows has great automatic external backup functions built-in.
  • The trusted computing blather is nonsensical enough that it's hard to counter. Of course free software has less features than paid software? Yes, Apple exerts an enormous amount of control over what kind of software can be released for iOS, but that's Apple. Android just for the official store, but I guess he's mad that they call non-store installations "side loading," and again totally non-sequitur. That's not Windows 11, and Windows is still super open for developers, generally. There is no real corollary for releasing Windows software as you don't have to do it through the Windows store.
  • He doesn't like SAAS, but Windows 11 is not SAAS, and Microsoft doesn't tell Adobe how to sell it's products.

Of course there's no guarantee that MS won't one day release a version of Windows sold as a subscription and lock down all software installations of any kind so that they have to be downloaded from the MS store and create the ability to remove software or whatever other thing he's worried about, but 1) MS doesn't control a ton of things about PC hardware, just what is required to run Windows so it would be a lot tougher (see difference between MacOS and iOS) and 2) Widows 11 is none of those things.

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
He acknowledges that buying a Windows computer and then switching to Linux is a non-issue for the vast majority of people. If you want to run Linux build your own computer. Secure boot can be disabled with the standard UEFI bios on basically every consumer motherboard, and even some pre-assembled ones. You just have to have it on for Windows 11. And it's STILL ACTUALLY POSSIBLE because several Linux distros are secure boot compatible. So, not an issue at all.
If you're prepared to put the work in it's even possible to add your own key to secure boot and remove the MS key, meaning it won't boot anything you haven't signed yourself. See for example:
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/blog/booting-a-self-signed-linux-kernel/

I guess the worry is a situation like with the Surface RT where this isn't possible.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course there's no guarantee that MS won't one day release a version of Windows sold as a subscription and lock down all software installations of any kind ...
I'm sure they'd like to do that if they could. But realistically, the plan is to 'give away' a perpetual license to use Windows (once one has purchased an original license, and as long as the PC can accommodate updates), and then use the OS as a platform to gain on-going user subscriptions for programs.

Of course it's just not MS, but most every software company is moving to the on-going sub model. As with entertainment streaming.

It's the gift that keeps on giving. But in a twist, the end user is doing the giving.

Du9_jFZX4AEFuKw.jpg

Katji

Major Contributor
Everything on your hard drive is encrypted and Bill Gates holds the key?
"encrypted and Bill Gates Microsoft holds the key"
Referring to Bill Gates makes it seem like one of those "conspiracy theories". No way I would go to Youtube with that, my recommended/suggestions panel will get filled with that crap.

ebslo

Forum Donor
I wish linux ran my daw and plugins and had something other than Jack because I'd be over there.
Pipewire is taking over, it works well with both Jack and Pulse Audio clients. Of course I don't know if it addresses your specific issues with Jack.

JSmith

Master Contributor
it's the last version of Windows that can be set up to not call home!
Nah...
My suggestion is you get rid of Win 7 ASAP;
“As time passes, Windows 7 becomes more vulnerable to exploitation due to lack of security updates and new vulnerabilities discovered. With fewer customers able to maintain a patched Windows 7 system after its end of life, cybercriminals will continue to view Windows 7 as a soft target,” the FBI notice said.

JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
People will whore themselves out for YouTube views these days.
Particularly for audio stuff it seems. Aside from those doing proper/good work, of course.....but most of the youtube stuff seems to be more about them liking themselves more than the subject

D

Deleted member 46664

My suggestion is you get rid of Win 7 ASAP;

Why on Earth would I do that?
It's been running error free for years, and as they say... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

As for the "end of support" thing ... Do you really know what is in those Automatic Updates that tie your system up for 3 hours, 20 minutes before your annual board meeting? Seriously... do you know what they are putting into your system?

JSmith

Master Contributor
It's been running error free for years, and as they say... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
I'm not joking, trying to help... you have a serious security risk there, 'sup to you what is more important. I truly hope this is just one personal PC and not part of an organisation or business network. An OS is not a car... just sayin'.

Have you considered a Linux based OS?

JSmith

D

Deleted member 46664

I'm not joking, trying to help... you have a serious security risk there, 'sup to you what is more important. I truly hope this is just one personal PC and not part of an organisation or business network. An OS is not a car... just sayin'.

I see you've bought the whole Security Updates thing ... Well I don't. Unless I know exactly what an update is doing, it's not going into my system.

Here's the general setup ... Win7 home premium 64 bits ... I installed the service pack ... No swap file, No automatic updates, No system restore, No remote access, No background transfers, No scheduled events, No anti-virus.

And most importantly... Since starting to use it this way in 2011, No Hacks, No Viruses, No Security Issues, No System crashes, No system slowdown... across half a dozen computers. It runs today just as smoothly as it did the first day I installed it.

Now please tell me why I need to abandon a rock stable, fast, and still fully usable OS?

TK750

And most importantly... Since starting to use it this way in 2011, No Hacks, No Viruses, No Security Issues, No System crashes, No system slowdown... across half a dozen computers. It runs today just as smoothly as it did the first day I installed it.
That you are aware of.

Continuing to run Windows 7 is like removing the front door of your house so nobody can break in through it.

But you do you, and I wish you the best with it.

D

Deleted member 46664

Continuing to run Windows 7 is like removing the front door of your house so nobody can break in through it.

Nope ... sorry ... not buying it.
The security of this setup is today, exactly what it was 10 years ago ... no better and no worse.

It doesn't deteriorate with time. Sure someone may find a new exploit or write a better virus, but in the end this system is every bit as safe and stable today as it was the day I first installed it.

Top Bottom