• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows 11 (Insider Preview)

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Ah, but a computer has a search function. You can throw all the files into one big draw and still find something easily based on file name and/or contents. There's no need to waste time putting files in 'their place'.
When you've got as many files as I have, properly filing them in logical files, folders and subfolders is the way to go.
It's funny how people work in different ways.

I'm with John, I sort my files in to a series of folders/directories and sub-folders: Documents, Graphics, Photos, ectc., with a handful of current projects and stuff I use all the time on the desktop.

In the 20+ years I've had a PC, I might have used the search function maybe a dozen times; primarily to look for system files that I know exist, but can't remember where.

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You have to use the Win10 taskbar.

Ah, I see. I wonder how long before MS kills the legacy settings that ExplorerPatcher relies on. Typically they get 'deprecated' first, but i've seen stuff hang around for years after deprecation in some of their other products like SQL server.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'm with John, I sort my files in to a series of folders/directories and sub-folders: Documents, Graphics, Photos, ectc., with a handful of current projects and stuff I use all the time on the desktop.

If you're like me, the desktop becomes a bit of a scratchpad storage for random, unimportant stuff and I keep shrinking the icons until I say "right, that's it!" and send them all to the documents folder for future consideration... So, I'm not remotely perfect in my file organisation either.

But my serious stuff- yeah, it's like a fuggin library IMO. :)

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One quick inquiry on Windows 11, if someone here knows the solution, please.

Using the screen capture tool "snipping tool" (activated by "windows key"+"shift"+"s"), the captured screenshot is copied to clipboard and it is also saved in user's "screenshot" folder with the file name of "screenshot_date_time" such as "screenshot_20230110_133624".

I would like to know how to change this default file name sequence into just like "ss_20230110_133624"; it is OK for me to edit registry if needed.

There's a registry hack to reset the screenshot index number on Windows 10, but I can't find anything for changing the naming template. Another solution would be to simply rename the files using something like PowerRename from Windows PowerToys...

1673354967632.png

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's funny how people work in different ways.

Yes and this is where we get into things like file, application, document, task or project centric workflows.

Personally, I tend to work in an application centric way. For example, if I need to work on a spreadsheet, i'll either be creating a new one or working on one that i've been using recently. In either case I will open Excel and then create a new sheet or re-open one from the recent file lists. It's quite rare that i'll navigate (or search) through my file system to find (or create) a file and launch it from Explorer.

MS played with supporting task/project workflows with the now defunct 'Sets' feature of Windows 10...

I think this feature will re-appear once MS have 'tabified' more of their Windows apps. I already have a tabbed Explorer and Notepad is on the way...

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yes and this is where we get into things like file, application, document, task or project centric workflows.
Besides the points already raised by myself and others, I believe learning and using a proper file system is
important for new computer users to understand. Besides our personal files, it's how things are arranged and
done under the hood in the OS. Without at least a basic knowledge of that, everything in the OS is a complete
mystery and black art. ;)

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Besides the points already raised by myself and others, I believe learning and using a proper file system is
important for new computer users to understand. Besides our personal files, it's how things are arranged and
done under the hood in the OS. Without at least a basic knowledge of that, everything in the OS is a complete
mystery and black art. ;)

I think that was true many years ago (and I made a career out of it), but things have moved on for many.

In my experience, most 'end users' would like 'everything in the OS' to remain 'a complete mystery and black art.', they just want to get their work done.

Many large organisations are moving to cloud storage solutions like OneDrive for Business which is back-ended by Microsoft SharePoint (a content management system). The underlying file system is never exposed to the end user, even if you think it is because your viewing your personal drive in Windows Explorer, it's all mediated through SharePoint.

Also consider that the most popular computer in the world is the smartphone. How many people need or want to know about the file system on their phone? Does a lack of FS knowledge prevent them from using it?

I have nothing against hierarchical file systems and people using them - I'm just trying to point out that they are not a pre-requisite for many, if not most, use cases anymore.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Also consider that the most popular computer in the world is the smartphone. How many people need or want to know about the file system on their phone? Does a lack of FS knowledge prevent them from using it?
I don't like the lack of a Windows style file explorer on Android. I don't know about Mac OS or iOS, I've barely used them and I get that if you use any OS enough, you'll probably get used to it's limitations and quirks.

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't like the lack of a Windows style file explorer on Android. I don't know about Mac OS or iOS, I've barely used them and I get that if you use any OS enough, you'll probably get used to it's limitations and quirks.

What files do you need to store and organize hierarchically on your phone? The only files that I store on my phone are 250GB of FLACs, but these are synchronized from a playlist in MusicBee, I have no need to view or manage the files directly on my phone.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
What files do you need to store and organize hierarchically on your phone? The only files that I store on my phone are 250GB of FLACs, but these are synchronized from a playlist in MusicBee, I have no need to view or manage the files directly on my phone.
I have a DAP and a phone with SD cards in them. I connect them to my Window PC via USB and manage the files on the SD card with either Windows Explorer or JRiver.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a computer with W11 just because it came with it. I honestly don't see a single thing that is better than W10 and some UI aspects in W11 are very questionable and inconsistent, IMO. I'll put zero effort into W11 updates for my existing W10 computers at home, and my employer doesn't offer W11 even on newest computers.
I don't do really critical listening on any of my Android tablets or Samsung smartphone (I will get the S23 Ultra when it comes out). I used to copy over music to those devices (super easy with a Dropbox folder dedicated to the purpose), but these days it's all Spotify on those handheld devices, honestly. I also used to only go for wired in-ear monitors and hated Bluetooth headsets for music listening, but am way over that these days due to (1) technology improvements and (2) convenience. :)
Typing this on corporate-provided Lenovo Carbon X1 on Win10, listening to Spotify chill jazz with JDS Labs Element III and (wired) Beyerdynamic DT1990Pro - and honestly wouldn't know why I need any more SQ.

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another solution would be to simply rename the files using something like PowerRename from Windows PowerToys...

Yes, this is what I do every time when I need to change names of multiple screenshot png files. I still would like to find how to change the default file name sequence, if possible.

I believe the file name sequence is not embedded within snippingtool.exe since snippingtool.exe itself is common for all the Windows 11 on various languages but the file name sequence is depending on the language; I assume, therefore, that the default file name sequence is identified somewhere in the registry.
スクリーンショット_20230111_093712.png

I will further try to look/search on registry to find some clues.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Right, so why do you need an equivalent to Explorer on Android?
I have quite a few files in my Downloads, Screenshots, Pictures, Music, PDFs, and many other folders I don't need to name here. I use Solid Explorer to manage it, including moving, copying, sending to others, etc.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Right, so why do you need an equivalent to Explorer on Android?
Typically, I don't, but some time ago I remember being frustrated because I couldn't find a file on an Android tablet; I can't even remember what it was now.

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, this is what I do every time when I need to change names of multiple screenshot png files. I still would like to find how to change the default file name sequence, if possible.

I believe the file name sequence is not embedded within snippingtool.exe since snippingtool.exe itself is common for all the Windows 11 on various languages but the file name sequence is depending on the language; I assume, therefore, that the default file name sequence is identified somewhere in the registry.View attachment 256342

I will further try to look/search on registry to find some clues.

Windows .exe files usually contain a resource file with localizations for different languages. So in this case, there would be an entry in the resource file that contains variations of 'screenshot' in all the languages that Windows supports. The application simply displays the version based on the system locale or language setting within the app.

SnippingTool is actually a Windows Universal Application, so the format of the executable is quite different from the old format; I believe the principle will be the same, but I don't know if it's possible to retrospectively edit the file like it was in the old days...

Fun fact - Many years ago (we're talking Windows 3.1 era here) it was often possible to remove software protections (licensing, nag screens, etc.) by simple removing the offending dialog box from the .exe with a resource file editor.

Last edited:
OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Latest Windows 11 security patch include updated Taskbar and Start menu search features. The features are deployed latent* and have to be enabled using ViveTool...

*Microsoft are doing this a lot now. It means that code for new features can be deployed gradually, rather than in a massive 'service pack' style update. The features are 'released' using an 'enablement package' at a later date. This helps avoid the hour long Windows updates that plagued Windows 10 early on, it also allows features to be turned on selectively for testing by those of us on the Windows Insider Program.

Top Bottom