• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows 11 Help

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just bought a new PC and it is loaded w/ Win 11. Does anyone have a handle on the changes from 10? Small but irritating things are popping up-for instance when I right click on a file to either delete it or send it to another drive it requires me to click on the bottom icon to reveal the usual options. Is there any way to have the entire menu drop down instead of always having to click on "more"?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just bought a new PC and it is loaded w/ Win 11. Does anyone have a handle on the changes from 10? Small but irritating things are popping up-for instance when I right click on a file to either delete it or send it to another drive it requires me to click on the bottom icon to reveal the usual options. Is there any way to have the entire menu drop down instead of always having to click on "more"?
There’s a registry hack that I applied. Google it.

Trell

Major Contributor
Windows 11 is the new Windows 8, it seems. Lots of people complaining about various annoyances.

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think some of the options are there when you click on the file, they just don't appear in words, but as symbols representative of each intended task. Confusing, because for some options there are words, others there are not.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Edit: Video deleted per discussion...

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Win11 is a mess, sadly. I only have a few machines running it, and I'm considering wiping them and going back to 10. My main machines will stay on 10 as long as I can.

Registry changes to move the taskbar to the top work, but it breaks a few other things. The right click can be fixed. Most annoying little things can be repaired or reverted, but there is a lot of damage under the hood that is more difficult.

So far, and I've given it a decent go, it's not just a half-baked OS, it's still a basket of ingredients with no recipe.

As @Trell said, it's the new Win8. A disaster.

OP
Rottmannash

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried what was suggested on the YT video and now the Windows icon does nothing, nor does file explore work. I just bricked a new PC I'm afraid.

OP
Rottmannash

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Luckily someone in the comments suggested no one try either of those tricks, as neither work and the 2nd one causes the start menu to deactivate as does the file explorer. If anyone does try them, as I did you have to reverse the changes in the registry which I was fortunate to do.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The video suggestions asre no longer good? Should I delete the video?

Also, Google "search tools" on Firefox disappeared today. Clicking on "search tools" takes me to the advanced search page instead! Still works normally on Chrome.

OP
Rottmannash

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The video suggestions asre no longer good? Should I delete the video?

Also, Google "search tools" on Firefox disappeared today. Clicking on "search tools" takes me to the advanced search page instead! Still works normally on Chrome.
Yes I would. All the comments under the video indicate it breaks everyone's PC who tries the 2nd one-the 1st simply doesn't work but the 2nd screws up the ability to access the windows menu button and explorer. I was lucky to download PowerToys and use that to get back into the registry and change the 1 back to a 0 and now it's back to normal. I should have read all the comments prior to trying the hack but it appears to be coming from Microsoft?

sam_adams

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The buffoons that made that video have text instructions here that are overly complicated and wrong. Microsoft rarely—if ever—advises editing the registry to 'fix' feature changes.

If you want to get back to the 'old' context menu:

Press the 'Windows' key and the 'r' key simultaneously to bring up the 'Run' box and enter the text you see below:
pic1.png

That opens the File Explorer Options Control Panel item:
pic2.png

Make yours look like the above.

Then click the 'View' tab and make yours look like the pics below:
pic3.png

pic4.png

pic5.png

The settings are implemented when you click 'Apply'. I've used these settings on every version of Windows that has/had them. Change what you want to your liking.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Microsoft released an update to Win11 a few weeks ago that gives you the option to revert to the old context menu, no hacks required.
Is there a YT rule that requires presenters to open their mouths and look stupid? And what's with all the click bait titles?

Back on topic--, at first I thought it was simply a lack of management direction, and general incompetence (or perhaps disinterest); but at this late stage of the game Win is so bad from a user ergonomic standpoint that I can only conclude they are doing it on purpose. Making it the way it is intentionally, in order to muck with their users. Out of a perverse and evil psychology.

Microsoft rarely—if ever—advises editing the registry to 'fix' feature changes.

Yeah...in the old days when Win tanked, MS (or the PC builder, which was really MS's customer, not the end user (who most likely didn't buy a retail copy of Windows) would just tell you to 'reinstall Windows' using the installation or recovery disk. You could do that when it was just a handful of floppies, and when user programs had their own directories. Registry changed all of that, for sure.

Like I've said, anytime you have to open 'regedit' in order to fix something the company has screwed up from their last version, you know you are screwed. LOL

What a pathetic company. At least when Steve B. was in charge, you could expect a cheap laugh, watching in amazement as he sweated out the 'monkey dance'. But those days are gone, and now there's nothing left for users to do, except wait out their next subscription renewal. Software as a service. The gift that keeps on giving.

Maybe in 12 they'll get it back to where it was in 10, which was where it was in 7, before they screwed it up in 8. I'm not taking bets on it, but who knows? Until then, there's always GitHub. You can usually find a few capable usability hacks hosted there.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is there a YT rule that requires presenters to open their mouths and look stupid?
If the presenter wants to make a living with their YouTube channel, or like in this case, the presenter is head of a massive agency with almost 70 employees and he depends at least partially on YouTube revenue to pay their wages, then:

Yes. YouTube requires him to look stupid for thumb nails and use clickbait-y titles.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the presenter wants to make a living with their YouTube channel, or like in this case, the presenter is head of a massive agency with almost 70 employees and he depends at least partially on YouTube revenue to pay their wages, then: Yes. YouTube requires him to look stupid for thumb nails and use clickbait-y titles.
Hmm... Maybe I have it all wrong in memory, but I remember the site being less 'commercial' years ago. Less weird in that way. I know it's bad on some of the guitar oriented channels (my other hobby). About two a week is all I can stomach. Phil McKnight is good for industry updates, and Guitaristas from England, who is funny in a oddball sort of way, but whom I trust to offer an honest opinion about instruments I can actually afford. Plus, he's always taking stuff apart and changing things out. I like that.

Really, how many times can you watch someone take something out of a box? And I am happy to report that I have never watched a 'reaction' video, and if I ever do I'm ending it right then and there-- jumping off the top of a tall building in shame. Finally, I refuse to watch anything where the presenter has his mouth wide open w/eyes bugging out. I think they call them bug-men for that. I could be mistaken.

The whole scene is as idiotic and boring as most hi-fi related articles you read on Stereophile et al. Before one gets to the gear, one first has to read a paragraph or two about the presenter's past experiences-- that may or may not have anything at all to do with the gear. Possibly something that happened during a family vacation ten years ago and that has nothing to do with anything. People criticized Julian Hirsch and Len Feldman because of their 'count the knobs and switches, and then list the THD spec' reviews. But at least those men had the decency to keep their personal habits out of the articles. And keep their mouths closed during photo sessions.

I know none of that has anything to do with Windows user interface problems. But the best answer for that is Linux. And few want to hear that as a solution.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I'm very happy with Windows 11. That said, I modified it a lot, but that's no different from previous Windows versions.

I use

and

Waxx

Major Contributor
I!m an IT system engineer and know my company tested win11 and decided to skip it and wait for win12 that should fix this issue. I was a tester and had to modify it extensivly by reg edits and reconfigs to make it work for me. And most companies do, all the clients (i'm working as IT consultant) that i worked for since windows 11 is out, skip windows 11. It's functionality is not working for companies. It's the same scenario that happened to windows 8 that worked if you tuned it it like it should be. But writing those gpo's was way to much work while windows 7 was doing it already almost out of the box...

But it's it's a geneal problem with Microsoft, the new MS Azure envirroment for system managment is also a pain in the ass to work with. It has many possiblities but it's so chaotic in it's structure it's hard for experienced system engineers to find what they need...

My personal system runs on windows 10 (2 computers) and linux (2 computers) with a QNAP NAS as data server and d-link router/switches. But as i'm the only one on the network i don't need no account managment and so. But if i did, i would seriously look at linux equivalents for that, because i'm rather sure it won't be so messy as Microsoft's envirroment is now.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I!m an IT system engineer and know my company tested win11 and decided to skip it and wait for win12 that should fix this issue. I was a tester and had to modify it extensivly by reg edits and reconfigs to make it work for me. And most companies do, all the clients (i'm working as IT consultant) that i worked for since windows 11 is out, skip windows 11. It's functionality is not working for companies. It's the same scenario that happened to windows 8 that worked if you tuned it it like it should be. But writing those gpo's was way to much work while windows 7 was doing it already almost out of the box...

But it's it's a geneal problem with Microsoft, the new MS Azure envirroment for system managment is also a pain in the ass to work with. It has many possiblities but it's so chaotic in it's structure it's hard for experienced system engineers to find what they need...

My personal system runs on windows 10 (2 computers) and linux (2 computers) with a QNAP NAS as data server and d-link router/switches. But as i'm the only one on the network i don't need no account managment and so. But if i did, i would seriously look at linux equivalents for that, because i'm rather sure it won't be so messy as Microsoft's envirroment is now.
Agreed. Same experience here. The irony is that even Microsoft uses linux in their cloud based solutions.

Mac and linux are both unix based and by core system behaviour very much the same. For a smooth user experience mac is a much better choice ime

@Rottmannash: you could consider to fix the Windows pc, but I would recommend you consider to return it and get a mac mini. Just consult before you buy which version handles 4k video editing smoothly ( I suspect all, but it's better to make sure)

Last edited:

Waxx

Major Contributor
Agreed. Same experience here. The irony is that even Microsoft uses linux in their cloud based solutions.

Mac and linux are both unix based and by core system behaviour very much the same. For a smooth user experience mac is a much better choice ime

@Rottmannash: you could consider to fix the Windows pc, but I would recommend you consider to return it and get a mac mini. Just consult before you buy which version handles 4k video editing smoothly ( I suspect all, but it's better to make sure)
I don't agree on the mac part, i did mac support for years for a few companies in the graphics industry, and mac os (OSX) is stable, but very limited in possiblilities.

And there hardware, that used to be reock solid is crap these days. The breakdown reate for mac devices is like 5x the rate for relative cheap dell devices, and the costs to buy or repair are much higher. It's that our clients still used mac that we also need it for making our software work or that company would have left mac longtime. The only mac device i own myself is an Iphone SE2 (because android is even more crappy), for the rest, mac needs to stay out of my house... If you still got a win10 device, keep it on win10 and otherwise try Linux Ubuntu (that is relative easy to use) or so.

Top Bottom