• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows 11 - Full production release - Easy upgrade, no problems - and no thrills.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well just got the update for 11. Installed it, was surprised it only took 34 minutes. Not much different than 10 in my opinion. Some things ae more hidden now, uses way more memory than 10. I use to idle at 20%, now 30% to 34%.

Really didn't like how they made the taskbar and icons so huge, but that was a fairly easy fix by editing the registry.
So I guess 11 is ok for now, but the jury is still out.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Really didn't like how they made the taskbar and icons so huge,
Unfortunately, it seems like Windows11 is trying to do a catch-up to the leader in GUI.
Sad because INNOVATION seems to have flown out the (figurative and literal) Windows and IMITATION got sucked in via the wake it left behind.
Not to say that there are not much good w/it under the hood but I find it weird that you are taking a 30+% hit.
You should feel lucky; my Intel Skylake i7-6700k is not compatible although I was able to shoe horn it in two times.
I could not be bothered w/that horizontal TaskBar taking up a big chunk of my dual monitor desktop... Like you indicate >> meh!

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess I lucked out when I bought a "refurbished" barebones Intel NUC8i7BEH-8559U for $350 in October 2019. It is compatible with Windows 11, performs admirably with 16Gb RAM and a 1Tb SSD, and I have no complaints. The best price I see these days is over $700 for a current Intel NUC10i7 barebones unit.

Slayer

Unfortunately, it seems like Windows11 is trying to do a catch-up to the leader in GUI.
Sad because INNOVATION seems to have flown out the (figurative and literal) Windows and IMITATION got sucked in via the wake it left behind.
Not to say that there are not much good w/it under the hood but I find it weird that you are taking a 30+% hit.
You should feel lucky; my Intel Skylake i7-6700k is not compatible although I was able to shoe horn it in two times.
I could not be bothered w/that horizontal TaskBar taking up a big chunk of my dual monitor desktop... Like you indicate >> meh!
I hear ya. Luckily the taskbar can be resized small/med/large. Location can also be changed, just ridiculous you have to go through registry edits to do so. I have done all the shutting down background apps etc, so i still don't understand why this uses so much memory. If i only open edge or amazon music it still sit's at 38%. When with windows 10 i was only at 24% memory usage.
Thankfully i can still throttle down the cpu and run at half power, without any performance loss effects. I'll give it awhile for some hopeful updates before i do much more investigating regarding the excessive memory usage.

intel i5-8300h 1Tb HDD, 128SSD 12Gb ram ( might upgrade to 36gb with this current usage that is happening)
Has the intel graphics and also the Nvidia graphics
Think I paid brand new $700 plus Not the greatest, but it gets me what i need. Plus connections out whooha.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess I lucked out when I bought a "refurbished" barebones Intel NUC8i7BEH-8559U for $350 in October 2019. It is compatible with Windows 11, performs admirably with 16Gb RAM and a 1Tb SSD, and I have no complaints. The best price I see these days is over $700 for a current Intel NUC10i7 barebones unit.
Same here. I bought my ASUS motherboard and i5-8600K in Jan_2018 and they are compatible with Win11. I installed the September 2021 new BIOS to get all the security settings correct for Win11. I am not yet ready to upgrade to Win11. Waiting for at least one service pack to be released.

Slayer

Same here. I bought my ASUS motherboard and i5-8600K in Jan_2018 and they are compatible with Win11. I installed the September 2021 new BIOS to get all the security settings correct for Win11. I am not yet ready to upgrade to Win11. Waiting for at least one service pack to be released.
Yep, never hurts to wait on a service pack. I only did it because it was offered this morning when i checked my updates. Not sure yet if I'm willing to call it an upgrade.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Luckily the taskbar can be resized small/med/large.
Not really similar to putting the Taskbar on the Left (a la Windows10 w/autohide) of the Left monitor ONLY.
My system is a 3U rack mount, that will have to swap out the MoBo (Z170 chipset) + CPU + RAM but retain PS/TPM/NvME/SSD/HDD/BRdrive, when I decide to move up Win11Pro. Hope you are doing the Win11Pro.
Since I prefer to run a dual-NIC ('bridged' LAN/WAN config) >> I am currently eyeing either the Asus ROG Maximus XIII Hero or the Asus Strix Z590-E MoBos w/probably the i7-10700K.
Anyways, so that this thread may be somewhat useful to others, I probably should add some cheezy FAQs about the upgrade Win10 >> Win11 upgrade (both fairly current):
"For the uninitiated, the upgrade from Windows 10 operating system to Windows 11 operating system can happen if your personal computer is compatible with Windows 11. The compatibility criteria include –
The following is why some processors won't work with Win 11.
"Its a hardware problem.

Hypervisor-Protected Code Integrity (HVCI)
Hypervisor-Protected Code Integrity can use hardware technology and virtualization to isolate the Code Integrity (CI) decision-making function from the rest of the Windows operating system. When using virtualization-based security to isolate Code Integrity, the only way kernel memory can become executable is through a Code Integrity verification."

From <https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...1/d239e5b3-80c1-4683-9396-601879ac3303?page=9>

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We have a NUC8i5BEH that has been running for over 2 years w/o any sort of intervention or mgmt since setting it up. Nice to hear it can get upgraded... I should check to see; and maybe asking for admin privilege for upgrade.
I also did a bonehead move and bought a NUC10i7FHN1 (March 2021 price@$605).
I stuffed it w/a 250GB NVMe and two 8GB RAM sticks (=16GB) THINKING to use it as an HTPC connected thru a Rotel Pre/Pro to a GX/OLED.
Using a 1GB LAN w/a NAS and a 300Mbps ISP for Netflix; I thought I'd be set.
Intent was to use it for 4K HDR content but only to find out that the internal GPU which uses shared resources, such as the memory, started chucking and chocking (jutter/tear/audio problems).
So, this bonehead had to rip out the two 8GB RAM and FORCED to replace them with two 16GB RAM sticks (=32GB).
Problem somewhat corrected but the only other option is to use one of those 'eGPUs' (no room for internal add-on cards).
I should probably sell 2x8GB RAMs on eBay.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was thinking wtf are they talking about with this BDfL thing and now all I can say is thank you for the education.
Now, I feel hip!;)

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Intent was to use it for 4K HDR content but only to find out that the internal GPU which uses shared resources, such as the memory, started chucking and chocking (jutter/tear/audio problems).
In my tiny A/V + office + reading room, I sit six feet from a Samsung 40" LED TV, and 1080p is high enough resolution for me. I only watch videos and movies and am not a gamer.

I am aware of the limitations of a true mini-desktop PCwith no expansion slots, but knew that the on-board graphics in the 8-series NUC would work for my needs. Even the NUC8i7HVK Hades series was marketed as a 1080 gaming PC, and 4K was very marginal with the now-discontinued Hades Canyon NUCs.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmz. My notebook is more than several years old and not compatible with Win 11. Microsoft is giving me the heads up to install it. What's up with that?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmz. My notebook is more than several years old and not compatible with Win 11. Microsoft is giving me the heads up to install it. What's up with that?
202111_Calvin.jpg

That is NOT Calvin >> That is Microsoft!
Welcome aboard to the mad Win user database.
The rumor in town is that this is a new venture for Microsoft where their "Respect for Legacy" loses to the manufacturers demanding new PC purchases.
Although my Skylake processor SOMETIMES does not "qualify" but I have been able to install Win11Pro TWICE (and then uninstalled it, both times).
It is a ploy that I think will play itself out; as Microsoft continues to vacillate between what hardware are qualified or ... not.
I have the TPM (TrustedPlatformModule V2) and all of the other hw prerequisites, but I am just going to wait.
I am sure that by Summer 2022, they may loosen the noose on perfectly fine hardware that still has useful life until Win10 expiry of 2025 (so, I hear)...

litemotiv

The rumor in town is that this is a new venture for Microsoft where their "Respect for Legacy" loses to the manufacturers demanding new PC purchases.

I think we need more than rumors, otherwise this is just libelous / conspirational talk.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
just libelous / conspirational talk.
I will sue you if you continue...;)
Currently developing... you can be the judge of my conspiracy theory but no need to report back. thank you

Microsoft confirmed that Windows 11 can be manually installed on computers that do not meet the requirements, but the system will not automatically update
2021-11-27 05:48 HKT
From <https://min.news/en/tech/4aa45f54c99c99f4e7b0e16fa59cbd28.html>

How to Install Windows 11 on Intel 6th Gen Skylake and AMD Ryzen 1st Gen PCs
From <https://www.hardwaretimes.com/how-t...el-6th-gen-skylake-and-amd-ryzen-1st-gen-pcs/>

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"It's the little things you do that make me love you", is something no one ever said about MS Windows. How they completely muck up what used to be so simple.

I frequently send files to my Kindle. On Win Ten Tin you could right click the file, click on 'send to' and then select Kindle, and the file would be on its way.

In 11 the process requires an extra step, and is convoluted. You right click on the file, then another click on 'show more options', then click on 'send to', then click on Kindle. Why the 'show more options' and an extra click? Why did they hide what we all knew how to find in the first place?

Want to rename a file? MS decided that its right click 'rename file' option was too easy, so they replaced that with an icon you've never seen before. An icon that doesn't seem to have any visual relationship to renaming a file. In fact, if you didn't realize that they changed the original menu for an unintuitive icon, you wouldn't know how to change the name of the file without randomly clicking on stuff, trying to find the option.

Does MS do this on purpose? Little things just to annoy users, or do they really think they are offering 'added value' by making folks relearn what they already knew how to do? I can't even imagine how screwed up the thinking of the people in the MS user interface design department must be.

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Want to rename a file? MS decided that its right click 'rename file' option was too easy, so they replaced that with an icon you've never seen before. An icon that doesn't seem to have any visual relationship to renaming a file. In fact, if you didn't realize that they changed the original menu for an unintuitive icon, you wouldn't know how to change the name of the file without randomly clicking on stuff, trying to find the option.
The File Explorer "Open With" in Win11 was moved to the right click sub-menu when I first installed, but after some updates, it now sits in the primary menu right under the "Open" selection. The ideal solution would be to be able to drag items to and from the sub-menu to simplify the main right-click menus.

Top Bottom