• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows 11 - Full production release - Easy upgrade, no problems - and no thrills.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you give an example?
I have a Rotel AVP and requires a proper 'driver' for the connected NUC10 to pass-thru HDR (HDMI).
Otherwise, I can only route the NUC10 video to the LG-OLED/GX (via Rotel) as SDR.
I hope this provides you w/one of the examples you seek when it comes to Linux and "drivers"...
@bravomail may be talking about different kinds of "walls".
Going back ALL THE WAY to early days of Linux when the original Kensington Trackball could not even be recognized as a hardware/device.
User HAD to write their own interface >> I'd rather perform Hari-Kari then; as I would now!

storing

Forum Donor
I hope this provides you w/one of the examples you seek when it comes to Linux and "drivers"...

Yeah I basically gave such example already with the 'requires custom code and compiling yourself' :)

While Windows usually has less of these problems being a main target for device makers, this can still happen though. E.g. I have an old M-Audio soundcard which has no drivers for Win 10 anymore but otherwise still functions.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
While Windows usually has less of these problems being a main target for device makers,
I would go as far as challenging that assertion: As "respect for legacy hardware" are not honored MORE by any other OS manufacturer than Microsoft/Windows environment.
Yes, we can use exception-words such as "usually" or "less" or "main" but that legacy-hw respect is the reason I stick with WinOS... although that respect is now being eroded to cater "more" to the OEMs.:(

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I will probably relent and upgrade at a much later date to Win11; but the 2 InsiderPreview versions I had installed with the the TaskBar permanently affixed to the horizontal axis needs to go first.
As of right now, you still cannot have the taskbar affixed to the left or right edge of the screen in W11. :( That's one thing I miss coming from W10. Otherwise it works fine.

storing

Forum Donor
I would go as far as challenging that assertion: As "respect for legacy hardware" are not honored MORE by any other OS manufacturer than Microsoft/Windows environment.

That was a poor word choice on my side: I didn't mean to assert that driver problems are due to Windows, only that they occur on Windows. And in the example I mentioned that's not due to Windows but because the device manufacturer chose to not provide a driver for Windows 10. I.e. not relevant how well Windows suports legacy hardware. Which indeed it does pretty well.

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Our household is everything but a monoculture: There are two Win11 gaming rigs (one desktop, one laptop), 2 Apple laptops for mobile work, a MacMini for home work and half a dozen of Raspberry Pis for audio/weather station duties. I have no issues with Microsoft wanting to improve the security of their products, just as I don't have an issue with Apple continuing to push the envelope.

The transition from 10 to 11 on the gaming rigs went well and I like the look of the new desktop.

So far, the upgrade has been a non-issue and the household continues to function without a hitch.

Slayer

As of right now, you still cannot have the taskbar affixed to the left or right edge of the screen in W11. :( That's one thing I miss coming from W10. Otherwise it works fine.
Yes, you can. It's a simple (sort of simple) registry edit. Without having to type out all the stpes and commands, here is a link that will guide you through it. Yes, it works just fine.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, you can. It's a simple (sort of simple) registry edit. Without having to type out all the stpes and commands, here is a link that will guide you through it. Yes, it works just fine.
Q: Have you tried the regedit, to see the results yet. A: My attempt resulted in a heap of mess on the left Vertical position.
Of course, you should not be instructed to save the regedit changes before making them
Of course, you know better than NOT to mess w/the Registry before doing a "MANUAL" back-up
Of course, this is regardless of what Win10/11 does under the hood to save you from yourself, if something goes botched during the process.

I let two NUCs in the house do the Win11pro upgrade on their own without a hitch or interference from me.
I am thinking that MicroSoft is finally getting something about software development right. woot!
But that FileManager (Explorderd) is still a f***ing mess as it always has been, but even worse.:mad:

Slayer

Q: Have you tried the regedit, to see the results yet.
Yes, I also have other registry edits. Including the sizing of the taskbar, not what they allow now, but much smaller.
In fact, I can't recall all the edits I have done for various things. But what i always do is create a restore point before any edits to the registry are done. So, if I forget what i had done or if there is an issue, it's a simple procedure to go back.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I also have other registry edits. Including the sizing of the taskbar, not what they allow now, but much smaller.
In fact, I can't recall all the edits I have done for various things. But what i always do is create a restore point before any edits to the registry are done. So, if I forget what i had done or if there is an issue, it's a simple procedure to go back.
YMMV but keeping a ledger of such changes to be able to have historical information is best handled by OneNote (or equivalent).
Also for re-instating the 'custom/tailored' network connections and the alternative DNS settings, BridgeNetworks, HotSpots etc. require re-visiting upon auto-install Win11 over Win10.
Have NOT figured out how to make the HotSpot "Hidden SSID" yet, since I patch both NUCs in the LAN before going out thru the WAN/DocSiS modem/router, and portable devices need entry points and so the 4G/5G using the my LAN (via HotSpot).
Still have to jump back and forth between "Settings" and the good old 'ControlPanel' for different parts of the network stack...
Has anyone tried the Android apps thru windows Store?

escape2

Did you actually read the article you linked to?

Before moving to the left or the right position, we must tell you that it will break the taskbar with no icons or time-date appearing. The only usable thing is the volume-rocker laden quick-access bar which barely functions.
So yes, you'll move the taskbar area itself, but it'll be unusable.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone I should check to see if "StartIsBack" will allow Windows11 taskbar on Left or Right of a multi-screen setups.
Yip, it sez it does << https://www.startallback.com/

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whenever we whine about the lack of, or regression of, user satisfaction in MS interfaces, it's helpful to keep in mind that the end user sitting at his desktop is not really the MS customer. MS's customers are large corporate entities and governments that buy hundreds of thousands and millions of subscription licenses. And MS has a cock lock on them, so it's not important for the company to really care much about what the 'end user' thinks. It's not like employees are going to stop going to work because Windows sucks for them.

On the other hand, if all the operations using Windows, in-step, told the company they weren't going to put up with their garbage anymore, that would get their attention. It actually happened with Win 8--many IT shops just plain refused to install that, deciding to keep 7 until 10 came out. But for something like that to occur, the product has to be exceptionally bad, and not just kind of bad. And what is the alternative? Migrate to OS/2?

The only meaningful change would be if internal management structure, top management, changes. If Nadella one day woke up, and said to himself and his managers, "Why are we going backwards in user satisfaction? Why is each release worse, from the user's point of view, than what preceded it?"

But my guess is that Nadella just doesn't care, or comes from a culture where 'passable' is good enough. To his credit, he seems to be a lot more low-key than Gates and Ballmer. Their MO was to threaten people, create FUD, and run the company on the border line of RICO. Just to be honest, it's not only MS. They are only the present topic, but are representative of a general corporate culture. A culture where the HR department is more in control of the the engineering department than the engineers.

It could be worse. It's not like Windows is killing anyone. I'm reminded of the CEO of Boeing, who, when after a spate of engineering debacles resulting in some deaths, was asked what his major concern was, and how he intended to fix the company's problem? A real CEO would have said, "Building safe, reliable and superbly engineered airplanes that make the public want to fly Boeing!" But what was his answer? "I want to maximize shareholder profits!" A good follow up to that question would have been, "Um...are you talking long, or short term?" LOL

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Whenever we whine about the lack of
Are your negative feelings/comments about Microsoft/Windows, in comparison to some other product that is currently available in the market?
The only meaningful change would be if internal management structure, top management, changes. If Nadella one day woke up, and said to himself and his managers, "Why are we going backwards in user satisfaction? Why is each release worse, from the user's point of view, than what preceded it?"
If chickens had wings and woke up one day and decided to fly....
If you don't want them to succeed, don't buy their products and most certainly don't invest in the company.
Windows may fail in the long run but compared to what they have been (and all other things considered) my "user satisfaction" is more than acceptable. Who am I to tell them how to run a for-profit business?
What would you recommend as the replacement for the masses (=me)?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1) Are your negative feelings/comments about Microsoft/Windows, in comparison to some other product that is currently available in the market?

2) If you don't want them to succeed, 3) don't buy their products and most certainly don't invest in the company.
1) No. Other companies behave poorly and unethically, and produce shoddy products. I wouldn't give them a break. Credit where credit is due.

2) It's not whether they succeed, or fail. That is not really my point. Certainly you want anyone producing a quality product, and someone who is moral and ethical, to do well. Or, at the very least, you should not hold personal ill-will toward them.

As I mentioned, the individual user is not MS's primary customer. The individual user is probably last on the rank-ordered 'customer' list for the company's attention... if the end-user even registers with them, at all. With their essential monopoly on the corporate/government desktop, any individual user's view, for better or worse, is pretty meaningless.

For my part, I'd be happy if they just wouldn't make things worse than what came before, whenever they release something new. Really, how hard can that be? I'm not even asking or expecting them to improve their product. Just don't make it worse. The fact that they can't (or won't, or perhaps do it deliberately--your guess is as good as mine) should be a personal embarrassment to upper MS management. That it evidently isn't, tells you what you need to know about their 'leadership' and their priorities.

3) For the at home user, it is certainly possible to remove oneself from the MS ecosystem, with pretty good (if not excellent) results. One just has to be judicious about one's hardware, and of course their choice of software.

For business, it can also be done, but is not quite as easy a transition. Ernie Ball (a company that actually makes high quality products, BTW), did it, after MS and the Business Software Alliance got the FBI to raid Ball's operation. In their typical "never let an opportunity pass, even if you have to create the opportunity yourself", MS used the raid to advertise a warning to their other business 'partners', and actually demonstrated their 'good-will', by offering 20% discounts on their compliance software! That, by the way, got Steve got so excited that he just had to sweat out the 'monkey dance' at the annual MS developer's conference. Partners were duly impressed...

Of course we're talking the desktop. On the other side of the Ethernet connection, MS has important competition, and has to behave better, because of that.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just bought a Mele Quieter 2 with a Celeron J4125 to use a fanless home server. It came loaded with Windows 11 Home Edition. For some reason it incessantly has a pop up screen promoting the Window's Teams app. I use a track pad, and it seems to happen when I drag my finger across it to move the cursor long distances. Anyone else have this issue with Windows 11, and does anyone know how to disable the pop up?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just bought a Mele Quieter 2 with a Celeron J4125 to use a fanless home server. It came loaded with Windows 11 Home Edition. For some reason it incessantly has a pop up screen promoting the Window's Teams app. I use a track pad, and it seems to happen when I drag my finger across it to move the cursor long distances. Anyone else have this issue with Windows 11, and does anyone know how to disable the pop up?
I remember that Teams bothered me as well. Every customer they can bind to their stuff is a customer not paying for Zoom or other solutions. In my experience it's best to just give in and install Teams, use Edge, connect the Windows to your cloud account and so on if you are to run Windows anyway.

I also noticed that my Windows11 installation was wonky and rebooted for seemingly no reason. Also, there was some kind of software installed by the chinese sweat shop that imaged Windows11 on it. I don't think this is a Windows problem itself but how it was installed.

Sadly, i didn't get any kind of license that i could use for a clean install. They basically sold me a pirated copy.;)

My solution was to replace it with Debian and KDE.
The hardware itself is ok, not brilliant, not terrible. Sadly, they only offer one USB3 to PCI bridge, which has performance implications for my usecase. Such is life on the cheapest SOC there is.

Hope you can solve the Teams popup.:oops:

Apesbrain

does anyone know how to disable the pop up?
Try disabling some options here:
  • Select Start > Settings > System > Notifications & actions.
And here:
  • Start by pressing Win + I and navigate to Privacy & security > Diagnostics & feedback.

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
first thing to do in windows is check out autostart and disable everything you don't want.
personaly I also look at services and try to disable what I safly can

Top Bottom