• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows 10 Update: Game Mode for Audio Playback?

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's good to know, thanks. I may have to try Foobar one day.

It's superb. Lightweight, utterly reliable, extremely low CPU drain even when playing very high-res music on old hardware. I've tried Roon (Windows and Mac), JRiver (Windows and Mac), Pine (Mac only), and Audirvana (Mac only). Foobar smokes them all.

There is also a Foobar Mac port that appeared earlier this year and seems to have been developed a bit since then.

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Works for Tidal and Sonarworks.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It's superb. Lightweight, utterly reliable, extremely low CPU drain even when playing very high-res music on old hardware. I've tried Roon (Windows and Mac), JRiver (Windows and Mac), Pine (Mac only), and Audirvana (Mac only). Foobar smokes them all.

There is also a Foobar Mac port that appeared earlier this year and seems to have been developed a bit since then.

I run Clementine under Linux, it's a slightly older version. I've been at odds with the developers who removed it's configuration code that allows a bit perfect dump to alsa. Discussing the situation with him and being able to play high rez files he told me "I don't think we care about audiophile things" :eek:, nice huh.

" hatstand commented on Apr 19, 2016
I don't think we care about "audiophile" things."

I'm sometimes amazed at the attitudes we get from developers towards HiFi.
In any case I maintain a build of PCLOS with an older version Clementine but know that a day will come when I can no longer keep my build running. :( It is a great player with a beautiful UI but if your a classical guy it's very weak in the meta data thing. Time will tell as there is continued discussion on the subject but I'm not feeling very positve

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I run Clementine under Linux, it's a slightly older version. I've been at odds with the developers who removed it's configuration code that allows a bit perfect dump to alsa. Discussing the situation with him and being able to play high rez files he told me "I don't think we care about audiophile things" :eek:, nice huh.

" hatstand commented on Apr 19, 2016
I don't think we care about "audiophile" things."

I'm sometimes amazed at the attitudes we get from developers towards HiFi.
In any case I maintain a build of PCLOS with an older version Clementine but know that a day will come when I can no longer keep my build running. :( It is a great player with a beautiful UI but if your a classical guy it's very weak in the meta data thing. Time will tell as there is continued discussion on the subject but I'm not feeling very positve
Yes, Linux could do better on sound in many ways. You have to love it, "we are making a music player, ......oh, and we don't care about it playing files with proper digital fidelity. We'll just hack it up, resample it and don't care. "

:facepalm:

etc6849

I use WIndows 10 LTSB. It doesn't have any of the windows apps and extras.

My PC runs less than 30 background processes now :D Works fine with MadVR and nvidia driver for HDR too in JRiver. No 4k HDR netflix though as there is no edge browser or Netflix app. Might be one of the best versions of Windows I've used.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I use WIndows 10 LTSB. It doesn't have any of the windows apps and extras.

My PC runs less than 30 background processes now :D Works fine with MadVR and nvidia driver for HDR too in JRiver. No 4k HDR netflix though as there is no edge browser or Netflix app. Might be one of the best versions of Windows I've used.
Sounds like a good option if you can get your hands on it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
For what reason don't you begin charging those lay abouts round the pool to watch stuff on your extravagant television?
I like the way you think!

Top Bottom