• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows 10 Sound Settings?

I am still confused what to set under Windows for my DAC. Currently I'm using a D30 Pro.

Which default format? Full-range speakers or no?

I understand that I would ideally set the default format to match the sound source, but I also heard Windows 10 does upsampling from 24bit 44.1khz which "isn't great", which makes me wonder if it's worth setting it higher even with sound sources of much higher quality.
I also understand there is a transfer method called "direct sound" that IF the sound source supports it, will bypass Windows upscaling?

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
I am still confused what to set under Windows for my DAC. Currently I'm using a D30 Pro.

Which default format? Full-range speakers or no?

I understand that I would ideally set the default format to match the sound source, but I also heard Windows 10 does upsampling from 24bit 44.1khz which "isn't great", which makes me wonder if it's worth setting it higher even with sound sources of much higher quality.
I also understand there is a transfer method called "direct sound" that IF the sound source supports it, will bypass Windows upscaling?
Windows sound manager -> Speaker Topping D30 pro -> properties -> Advanced - > 24 bits, 44100 Hz exclusive
Using (windows) Wasapi or (topping) Asio driver the dac will default to the file source.

OP
C
Windows sound manager -> Speaker Topping D30 pro -> properties -> Advanced - > 24 bits, 44100 Hz exclusive
Using (windows) Wasapi or (topping) Asio driver the dac will default to the file source.

Oh that sounds great.
I avoided installing the drivers for delay reasons though.

OP
C
Doesn't seem to be working, always stuck to what I set it to in Windows no matter what I play.
Or did I misunderstand you and you don't mean the driver for the D30 Pro? Asio is a software by Topping?

EDIT: I figured it out, it's integrated in the Topping drivers and only activates when playing asio files.
I did what DDF suggested, I assume just enabling EQ APO automatically disables all the other APOs? Cause I can't seem to find an option to disable other APOs.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Um yes?
I wasn't going to use my computer for just audio?
So use wasapi exclusive from your music player to dac and whatever Windows settings you like for the games /video. Then you avoid resampling and any drop in quality for audio where it matters (anlthough there really shouldn't be anything audible anyway) but minimise latency on games /vids where absolute audio perfection isn't as critical.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I assume just enabling EQ APO automatically disables all the other APOs? Cause I can't seem to find an option to disable other APOs.
You have to go to Equalizer APO's Configurator and click 'Troubleshooting options' and uncheck 'use original APO'.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hmm was already set up this way.
And this was when you had the correct output (your DAC) selected? If so, I think you should be good. Just remember to set a small negative gain as mentioned in the other thread. Another nice thing with EQ APO is that it shows the latency, should be minimal unless you use heavy DSP.

OP
C
And this was when you had the correct output (your DAC) selected? If so, I think you should be good. Just remember to set a small negative gain as mentioned in the other thread. Another nice thing with EQ APO is that it shows the latency, should be minimal unless you use heavy DSP.
Yes and I did that. The delay even with drivers seems miniscule, better than the Fostex without drivers and with drivers it was impossible to use, several hundred MS.

However, the question everyone seems to avoid is whether or not to set the Windows settings to full-range speakers.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes and I did that. The delay even with drivers seems miniscule, better than the Fostex without drivers and with drivers it was impossible to use, several hundred MS.

However, the question everyone seems to avoid is whether or not to set the Windows settings to full-range speakers.
Where are you seeing that option?

And more importantly, what are you actually listening to? headphones? Small desktop speakers? Larger full range speakers? Speakers plus sub?

I think the full range option is when you are configuring speakers to run directly from the PC- if you select full range it wont spilt out the low freqs and pass everything out to the 2 channel. If you select anything else, I guess it cuts the low freqs to the L/R.

Last edited:
OP
C
Where are you seeing that option?

And more importantly, what are you actually listening to? headphones? Small desktop speakers? Larger full range speakers? Speakers plus sub?

I think the full range option is when you are configuring speakers to run directly from the PC- if you select full range it wont spilt out the low freqs and pass everything out to the 2 channel. If you select anything else, I guess it cuts the low freqs to the L/R.
Yes but when you "configure" speakers, headphones or DACs under Windows 10 it asks you whether they are full-range speakers or not.
Don't ask me why.
So what do I do with it? I'm a bit wary of that option because I seem to remember back in the day setting speakers/headphones to full-range if they didn't support it, it could damage them.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes but when you "configure" speakers, headphones or DACs under Windows 10 it asks you whether they are full-range speakers or not.
Don't ask me why.
So what do I do with it? I'm a bit wary of that option because I seem to remember back in the day setting speakers/headphones to full-range if they didn't support it, it could damage them.
Thats what I am asking you, where is this configure option? Ive upgraded my current PC to w11 so cant remember exactly w10 but I dont recall ever having to configure any device. I've set some parameters like sample rate etc in settings- sound -{device}- properties etc etc but not "configure"

And like I say, without knowing what type of transducer you are putting the sound through, no one can answer . Personally, I wouldnt want windows deciding what parts of my music to not output.

EDIT (last post especially) - https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...peaker-option-in-windows-for-headphones.1019/

Last edited:
OP
C
Thats what I am asking you, where is this configure option? Ive upgraded my current PC to w11 so cant remember exactly w10 but I dont recall ever having to configure any device. I've set some parameters like sample rate etc in settings- sound -{device}- properties etc etc but not "configure"

And like I say, without knowing what type of transducer you are putting the sound through, no one can answer . Personally, I wouldnt want windows deciding what parts of my music to not output.

EDIT (last post especially) - https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...peaker-option-in-windows-for-headphones.1019/
Yes I found that one too, but I guess ideally I will just want to ask Topping TS.

Zorlac

I would always select/send full range. Let the external gear "process" the signal (via crossovers, etc.)..not Windows.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would always select/send full range. Let the external gear "process" the signal (via crossovers, etc.)..not Windows.
Also looks like not much software actually looks up that setting and will just output full range anyway. I'm guessing people would notice if Windows was cutting everything below 80hz on anything out to their DACs

Top Bottom