• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows 10 Digital Volume on an External DAC

• Thread starter Deleted member 5035
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5035

I have a JDS Element DAC/Amp. It's connected to the PC via USB. I have the line output of the Element connected to external, powered studio speakers, without volume controls. I also use the headphone output. The only way to control the volume of the speakers is via the Windows 10 volume control, using the volume keys on my keyboard, because the volume control on the Element does NOT control the volume of the line outputs.

I can turn the volume control on the Element all the way up, and control the volume of the headphones via the Windows 10 volume control, too, but many years ago, I was told that that was a bad idea for some reason. Is that still the case??? If so, please explain. By the way, I use Equalizer APO. so ASIO/WASAPI is not an option.

I know I can just turn the Windows volume all the way up and control the headphone volume from the knob on the Element, and turn it back down before switching back to speakers, but that's a pain.

OP
D

Deleted member 5035

Are you using Foobar2000? If so, WASAPI (shared) does now work with EAPO.

No, I am not. I know ASIO and WASAPI do not work with Equalizer APO. I have other audio applications I have to run anyway, so ASIO/WASAPI are not an option.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What you really need to watch out the volume of your windows + volume of speakers.

Because if you use high volume when listening to another source and then switch over to your PC without lowering it, you can imagine what could happen.

Top Bottom