• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows 10 Creators Update (1703)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
You left the most important out!
Linux 2.14%

How so?

upload_2017-4-8_0-26-6.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Surprised to see so many still running that POS Win7, even after all the free update offers.
MS was so embarrassed by it and 8, for the first time in history they gave away an OS upgrade.
Windows 7 was fine. It was windows 8 that was the disaster with revamped user interface optimized for tablet use. Tons of corporate accounts standardized on Windows 7 and for them, the change comes very slow.

I disliked Windows 8 so much that I almost did not upgrade to Windows 10 fearing it would be more of the same. So I can appreciate many not upgrading.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Windows 7 was fine. It was windows 8 that was the disaster with revamped user interface optimized for tablet use. Tons of corporate accounts standardized on Windows 7 and for them, the change comes very slow.

I disliked Windows 8 so much that I almost did not upgrade to Windows 10 fearing it would be more of the same. So I can appreciate many not upgrading.
OK thanks.
Like I said my exposure was limited to trying to help some friends with problems in that time frame, and sounds like I ran into 8 mainly. The interface was so confusing to me I could barely find my way around to get where I was wanting to go. :mad: I ended up not being willing to get involved with helping people any more.
The Windows and most Linux DE's started with a very good, mostly intuitive user interface at Windows 95. The additions of alternate paths to work destinations brought mostly great improvements. I've seen a number of attempts to start with a clean slate, looking for something more intuitive and user friendly, but have not seen any that IMHO brought something better.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Looks like MS was at it again over the last few days. Booted into 10 today and got a update notice. Let things run and now showing Build 15063.138. Not as massive a PITA with all the reboots today thank goodness. :)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, mine completed the update to 15063 early Tuesday evening. If you use the Edge browser a few changes. Haven't bothered to remove a driver for any USB 2 audio device and see if it works without. Reports elsewhere are it works, but often some features or adjustments are missing.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Never used Windoz for audio before so have never installed any outside drivers. Today for kicks I plugged in a USB cable to my DC-1 DAC. Took Win quite a while to grind out "installing new drivers" but when it was over looked to have USB2.0 up and running... My Clementine media player is still outputting everything in 16/44 but I'm sure that's a configuration issue. In the hardware config I can send a 32/192 test file and the DC-1 reports a 192k sample rate so I guess all is well in Windoz land for a plug N play USB driver. (finally!)
USB2.0.JPG

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Good deal. I have a digital headset I use for my laptop. I plugged it in and I was pleasantly surprised to see proper messages saying it is a Sennheiser headset and configured it correctly. It was plug and play before but didn't have the nice identification it has now. So all directions are positive for this much needed and long overdue update.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
And then there is this: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/26/stop_downloading_win10_creators_update/

"Microsoft has urged non-tech-savvy people – or anyone who just wants a stable computer – to not download and install this year's biggest revision to Windows by hand. And that's because it may well bork your machine.

It's been two weeks since Microsoft made its Creators Update available, and we were previously warned it will be a trickle-out rather than a massive rollout. Now, Redmond has urged users to stop manually fetching and installing the code, and instead wait for it to be automatically offered to your computer when it's ready."

Old Listener

I've been using Win 10 since last June. The regular, forced updates are not welcome. Glitches in things that worked before appear suddenly and are corrected an update or two later.

I understand Microsoft's interest in moving to a service model so that the Windows cash cow lives on forever. However, I'm ready for Windows to settle down as an appliance that I can install, set up to fit my needs and preferences and then count on it to work reliably indefinitely.

I'm currently looking at installing Win 8.1 on a NUC to be used for music playback and nothing else. The attraction is that I can defeat updates. I think.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Last edited:
Top Bottom