• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Winamp update released after 4 years ...

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any other Winamp users out there? It has languished for years since founder Justin Frankel and Nullsoft left the scene, and those who took over couldn't keep things going. And now Winamp is back under development and upgrading.

There are lots of conversations about it on the internet - just search for "Winamp History" at YouTube. Winamp was intimately linked with the development and rise of the mp3 format in the late 1990's, and initially supported only the mp3 format. I wonder if @amirm was aware of it when he was working on the mp3 format at Microsoft?

I have been using Winamp as my Windows PCs music player since the late 1990's. I am still using it on my current Windows 11 Intel NUC PC and I recently saw a notice of the release of an update. It's a release candidate rather than a final release as signified by the RC1 designation. I installed it, and as expected, saw no changes, but also, no glitches with the new coding.

The last line of the installer splash screen is what convinced me it was a good thing to install the update. /s

Winamp  - I am Groot.jpg

From How-To-Geek:

Winamp Is Back With a Real Update for 2022

by Corbin Davenport
Aug 2, 2022

Winamp was a popular music player for Windows in the late 1990s and early 2000s, but it still has some loyal fans to this day. Following four years of development, and several leaked beta patches,a new testing release is available for Winamp.

Winamp 5.9 RC1 Build 9999 was released on July 26 for Windows, with many small improvements and bug fixes — Windows 11 is officially supported, you can play audio streams over HTTPS, and the VP8 codec is now properly recognized. The new version also no longer works on Windows XP or Vista. Most of the work in this release has been modernizing the code, so future updates don’t take another four years.

Last edited:

iulianm

Winamp was my mp3 player indeed many, many years ago when I using Windows XP and I still used the clasic theme when they released the modern one.
I still have my mp3s since then, 128 kbps / 44.1 kHz. :)
Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 6.19.01 PM.png

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use the "Modern" skin, and installed the v5.9 RC1 Build 9999 update two weeks ago. I haven't run across any bugs yet. o_O

Winamp works fine for me, and even plays a folder with 18,000+ mp3's in many subfolders without any hesitation.

norcalscott

Forum Donor
I used Winamp for many years. My favorite feature was the quality of the visualizations - really seemed like it created things that "matched" the music that was playing - still have not found anything that does that better than Winamp did it.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Winamp was intimately linked with the development and rise of the mp3 format in the late 1990's, and initially supported only the mp3 format. I wonder if @amirm was aware of it when he was working on the mp3 format at Microsoft?
Winamp was the king of media players at the explosion of MP3 format (and piracy of music thereof). We wanted to actually acquire the company. Invited the folks behind it but they wanted too much money so we passed. AOL bought them later and the cultured clashed like nobody's business.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I have tried to use it again like I did when I was a kid. I am so used to VLC now that it feels weird.

norcalscott

Forum Donor
Winamp was the king of media players at the explosion of MP3 format (and piracy of music thereof). We wanted to actually acquire the company. Invited the folks behind it but they wanted too much money so we passed. AOL bought them later and the cultured clashed like nobody's business.
Yes, you could see that culture clash coming with AOL from a mile away. I think if Microsoft had acquired them it would have been a much better fit, especially if that had become Media Player for audio (the later versions of which I could never get used to).

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Updated winamp is now live.https://player.winamp.com/

norcalscott

Forum Donor
Updated winamp is now live.https://player.winamp.com/
Looks like it requires registration to try it, and I am hesitant (or maybe too lazy) to provide them with my email address just to try it out. Also looks to be more of an on-line type player than a locally installed player like it used to be? I think I'll stick with Foobar - some time ago I got the Pandorabox add-on working and am very happy with it. Image below if you have not seen this.
Pandorabox.png

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Screenshot 2023-04-21 192744.png

This is garbage

ribonucleic

Looks like it requires registration to try it, and I am hesitant (or maybe too lazy) to provide them with my email address just to try it out. Also looks to be more of an on-line type player than a locally installed player like it used to be?

LOL hard pass.

Top Bottom