• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wilson LōKē Subwoofer

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wilson has a new subwoofer. Darko says the 10" model was designed to match the TuneTot, includes internal DSP & amplification, and costs £9000.

The plate amp appears quite similar to the Dayton SPA500DSP, available at P-E for $300. The overlap between new-Wilson shoppers & DIYers is probably a vacuum, but it sure caught my attention.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The plate amp appears quite similar to the Dayton SPA500DSP

It does, doesn't it...

1646797826559.png

1646797871265.png

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That is outrageous. Software "on application", again so you can't tell easily it is likely the re-branded Dayton tool. Even an upgraded colour costs more than metallic paint on normal cars, an extra $1000. But hey, like a car, it comes with a toolkit with:

• Polishing Cloth
  • Spike Pads
  • Diode and Spike
  • 9/16 Inch Wrench
  • 1/4-inch Allen Wrench
  • Universal Allen Allen Tool
  • 5/32/inch and 1/8-inch Inserts

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL no more ridiculous than most of Wilson's offerings I suppose. Way overpriced for a sub of mediocre performance, tho.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Unbelievable, words can’t begin to express my disdain.
Keith

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I wonder who makes the chassis https://hifilounge.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Screenshot-2022-03-08-at-10.45.49.png

I know they usually get their chassis from Scan Speak but nothing in their lineup fits. Note the large dust cap and the blueish tint of the membrane. Also the the distinct cutouts for the screws.

e: Nevermind. "That driver is no off-the-shelf number. It’s designed and manufactured in-house and tuned by Wilson Audio engineers to work in conjunction with the subwoofer’s “port configuration”. "

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is a nice plateamp for 300 bucks. Not sure what the ruckus is about.

Katji

Major Contributor
:oops: ! Holy hell. What I could do with that. Like 4 little JL subwoofers and a miniDSP Flex, and a lot of change left over.

Like you say, the overlap is probably nil, but...jees, what a cheek.
.....Amazon Zebrawood?

• 9/16 Inch Wrench
  • 1/4-inch Allen Wrench
  • Universal Allen Allen Tool
  • 5/32/inch and 1/8-inch Inserts
hmh! ........I don't suppose they'd do free customisation for me.

YSC

Major Contributor
well I just wanna say a nice subwoofer I want to have, then saw the price... I will buy a sports car for that price..

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now this is what you call a rip off rather than snake oil. The sub does something, presumably with some measure of competence, and is just ridiculously overpriced. It's not some power regenerator which does not a thing (that's snake oil courtesy of Paul McGowan). This thing at least has a purpose and will fulfill it. It will just do it at an insane, outrageous price.

Kinda like getting charged $150 for a cocktail at an exclusive club.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
God, this industry is the *worst*.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Fashion may take the prize...

LOL! Your point is a good one. My wife just bought a pair of "Golden Goose" sneakers--brand new, they look worn out. And they have glitter on them. $860 at Neiman's. :facepalm:

Top Bottom