• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wilson Audio TuneTot Review (high-end bookshelf speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 364 58.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 186 30.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 7.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's littered with shit-measuring adored products.
None of them are controlled tests or reviews. People tend to like what they bought, so it’s really no surprise. Sure, in a store your not doing a controlled test either, but you’ll need to account for that fact. What you see matters, what the sales rep tells you matters, the numbers on the price card matter, etc. Also note that the manufacturer know this as well. Some make products deliberately stand out. You should realize this when you go out shopping.

Now given all this you can still prefer something else, obviously. There is nothing wrong with that at all. The statistic is just that, meaning that there will always be people that have other preferences.

zeppzeppzepp

None of them are controlled tests or reviews. People tend to like what they bought, so it’s really no surprise. Sure, in a store your not doing a controlled test either, but you’ll need to account for that fact. What you see matters, what the sales rep tells you matters, the numbers on the price card matter, etc. Also note that the manufacturer know this as well. Some make products deliberately stand out. You should realize this when you go out shopping.

Now given all this you can still prefer something else, obviously. There is nothing wrong with that at all. The statistic is just that, meaning that there will always be people that have other preferences.

Correct except one thing........
Did the controlled tests include sufficient range of the initial parameters? How many can be trusted as sufficient?
Possibility is not only about someone just having different tastes.
That'll be endless arguing. And that's valid to all kinds of so called science and science updates until it becomes a law universally......
The statistic is more like a method people agreed to leave out the exceptions......just don't feel guilty if something can not meet that specific method. It's not even close to the science.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is one thing that is truly funny to me here...

Mainly the fact the reactions to an ambivalent review are so continuous and opinionated. Is Wilson Audio a brand that polarizes people because of the $ or because of the measurements? If it is the latter, come on and self-actualize, there are several pieces of equipment that didn't get this website's validation despite the tests but hey.

Here's a truth: $10k is not anywhere near high end audio. Not for any component. Measure $50k plus gear and maybe. It's not done on this website. Nor would I care.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's a truth: $10k is not anywhere near high end audio. Not for any component. Measure $50k plus gear and maybe. It's not done on this website. Nor would I care.

I don't see that as anything more than your opinion rather than truth. The term "High End Audio" doesn't have a firm definition, but it has certainly been regularly applied to products at $10,000 and well below, and such products have regularly been featured in most of the famous "high end audio" magazines.

And certainly Wilson is one of the most well known "high end audio" brands of all - their Tune Tot is certainly their attempt at a "high end" desktop speaker.

I can certainly say that much of the gear I've owned has been below $10,000 and my very willingness to pay anything close to those dollars for audio gear is what is seen to separate a lunatic like me from my "normal" friends.

And as has been pointed out many times here, high performance audio gear is not determined necessarily by price.

Gatordaddy

Forum Donor
My point was more in line with where you draw the line between good and bad.
eg for DAC on say that if noise is down -120db is not audible anymore.

How flat is flat?
what is wobbly directivity and what is not...
etc...

Dont know if there is some documentation about it.

A 5db, medium Q peak in the midbass is definitely audible. Speakers, unlike DACs, aren't solved problems. The flaws this speaker presents versus other measured speakers would certainly be audible.

Flatter is still flatter. If you can get flatter anechoic on axis and in room, deeper bass response, and better directivity control while maintaining the same power handling and *distortion (*which is a suspicious metric) the result is a technically superior speaker.

I think the critique in this thread is not that the speaker is broken (even though the design has serious--imo inexcusable--flaws, most notably the excessively high port tuning and apparent lack of any engineering given to the port), or even that it sounds bad, but that the value proposition of the tune tot is that the product provides the consumer status rather than good objective performance.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
My last hearing test went up only 8 kHz and indicated age related high frequency hearing loss.
Making sure this statement of mine is clear, what I meant above is that standard audiologist test goes up to 8 kHz. I asked for full range to 20 kHz but they said they are not able to do so. And that only a hospital in another city is setup to do full range tests which are used in some kinds of cancer diagnostic. I did not mean to indicate I only heard to 8 kHz although even at that level, there was reduction in sensitivity compared to general standards.

rammster

After so many pages no answer to the most important question to any ASR member-
How is it possible that speaker with that FR sounds (at least to Amir) better than Revel M106?
I thought the main question was "who in Wilson Audio made such ugly frequency response graph - marketing guys or engineers"

zeppzeppzepp

This precisely describes human nature. We can get used or adapt to anything and think about it as a norm. Unless compare it and...
I’m surprised, seems more like describing theology…….
Take it easy…
Losing hard earned money on any kinds of speakers doesn’t hurt…..
What the real purpose of the speakers for?
We all have some fun to praise or diss the luxury speakers……

rammster

I’m surprised, seems more like describing theology…….
Take it easy…
Losing hard earned money on any kinds of speakers doesn’t hurt…..
What the real purpose of the speakers for?
We all have some fun to praise or diss the luxury speakers……
I did not understand what do you want from me.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Yeah, it looks like a python that just swallow a tiny tot!

if it is not a hat, then maybe it is a boa that ate an elephant?

Do you believe Wilson just proved we don't need low frequencies for music, just replace them with a single 115 Hz tone? The wife's are going to be happy. ...

I thought they were monogamous now?

Could you please decrypt what is FFS?

It translates to Aussie fine.
But nearer XMAS and Easter then FCS is pretty common.

Let's put it this way. I live in a small unit (apartment, flat) in suburban Sydney, and am restricted in where I can live by a combination of my job and my inability to drive - I need to live near public transport.

Most of the people here criticising this speaker for price alone I know have dedicated rooms for their audio systems, probably treated in various ways. I don't. I have a moderately sized living room with doors in opposite corners, and can't optimally place my speakers, quite apart from the presence of my partner's book collection which is way more important.

The price of these speakers in Australia is probably around $20,.000 AU. To acquire a dedicated room I would need to buy a house or larger unit that meets my location and other needs, I would be looking at over $900,000AU at current prices.

Without seeking to defend this particular speaker, one at this price that actually does something significant or is more pleasing/leads me to listen to more music, suddenly looks a lot more interesting in my situation.

I would suggest that you await Erin test of the Sonituva.
It sounded good in person in the west, so hopefully a Nullabour crossing does not alter it.

MrHifiTunes

A 5db, medium Q peak in the midbass is definitely audible. Speakers, unlike DACs, aren't solved problems. The flaws this speaker presents versus other measured speakers would certainly be audible.

Flatter is still flatter. If you can get flatter anechoic on axis and in room, deeper bass response, and better directivity control while maintaining the same power handling and *distortion (*which is a suspicious metric) the result is a technically superior speaker.

I think the critique in this thread is not that the speaker is broken (even though the design has serious--imo inexcusable--flaws, most notably the excessively high port tuning and apparent lack of any engineering given to the port), or even that it sounds bad, but that the value proposition of the tune tot is that the product provides the consumer status rather than good objective performance.
Thanks for your sensible answer and view. I can follow it to a certain point.

We like to make objective evaluations of speakers here. But we need to have all the information to do so...People dont see to notice there are still many blanks which are not filled.

There are 4 types of speakers.
One that measure good and sound good. Very easy to evaluate....case closed.
One that measure bad and sound bad.... same thing here...case closed.

Then you have those that measure good and sound bad or measure bad and sound good.
Those are interesting to investigate and find out what is going on.

This speaker is falling into the last group and hence my quest for an answer. If we find the answer we learn and grow to understand things better.

Many talk about the port tuning and EQ-ing.
Can we dissect that?

1 EQ the bass bump.
Amir said it was too strong. When closing the port he said there was not enough bass hence his solution to EQ it.
But :
- this speaker doesnt have baffle step compensation and to provide sufficent and balanced bass output it should be placed close to the wall.
Did Amir listen to this speaker with closed port and close to the back wall?
It would have the sealed box slope and lift from the wall re-inforcement below 100Hz.

2 EQ at 700Hz.
What is the idea here? Killing the resonance at that frequency?
If so, as show in the graph below and like someone here already pointed out, the resonance comes from the port/woofer. If the port is closed this issue will be solved as well. (if this is the reason why amir EQ it....if its something else....)

3 EQ 5Khz
Amir mention something about the schowroom brightness.
Is he trying to solve that with this EQ setting?
If so, there is also an other route....Wilson provides resistors to adjust the tweeter level.

Only Amir can confirm what his listening conditions was and what problems he want to solve with the EQing.

But if it is match the situation like I mention here, then we can have a good sounding speaker without EQing.

Just my point is, there are blanks that we dont know to make a proper evaluation and that in my book is enough not to condemn a speaker.
One is guilty till proven guilty. (that is why i mention the movie 12 angry men....very good one :) )

Also dont forget. Wilson wants to sell speakers. Many other commercial brands have this "showroom sound". This is appealing at first and when some audition speakers this will get there attention as sounding good. Revel/genelec has a change not to be liked and skipped by many because of this.
Then at least I find it good that they offer a way to overcome this "showroom sound"
Dont forget the people here are already a niche group.

And same happening with TV's they also have a showroom picture.....also here many would skip a TV with accurate imagine.
index.php
index.php

MrHifiTunes

I thought the main question was "who in Wilson Audio made such ugly frequency response graph - marketing guys or engineers"
Totally agree.

I put the question out many times but no valid "complete" answer so far.

So I try again some different route :)
What we hear is direct and early reflected sound.
Those need to be in balance. What kind of balance? The in-room response should be flat, smooth and sloping down. (textbook) What is the case here.

But. They didnt use a flat FR (1-3K Hz area) to achieve that like we are used to. (see last graph)
So what are they trying to do?
my take on it :
Early reflexing is quiet smooth and this speaker have wide dispersion which helps.

eg at a certain frequency one might have 50% direct energy and 50% early reflecting energy. This gives the sound a certain "timbre"
Changing the balance but maintain the needed total energy can change that "timbre"

Is this what they try to do?
3 possible answers :
- Yes this the case. Great we learn something here
- No, wrong. With the proper explanation we learn again so great.
- bashing around that this is just a mesh...doesnt bring us anywhere apart from 65 filled pages :) .

index.php

index.php

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
How are you doing here then? Have you managed to rebuild / DIY the speaker or what is happening?

Too bad for such rare peas anyway. Good drivers and as Amir wrote Speaker is also incredibly heavy and stiff for its size (29 pounds or 13 Kg) ...

Those bugs (fluttering FR) that you address should have been fixed by the developers at Wilson before they released the speaker on the market. . Or they want it to have that type of FR? I have a hard time believing that Wilson would miss what FR looks like.

Last edited:

Holmz

Major Contributor

Those bugs (fluttering FR) that you address should have been fixed by the developers at Wilson before they released the speaker on the market. . Or they want it to have that type of FR? I have a hard time believing that Wilson would miss what FR looks like.

How many people is that?
Do they have a developer(s)? Or engineer(s).

DanielT

Major Contributor
How many people is that?
Do they have a developer(s)? Or engineer(s).
I do not know, but I assume, it is still Wilson, that there is some kind of thought behind the construction. That there are those who know speakers who designed / constructed them but that may not be the case.

shot_2021-12-29_13-02-05.png

For those who feel for it, you get in touch with them and ask, the thoughts that have arisen in this thread.

This is what Wilson says:

Attachments

• shot_2021-12-29_13-13-29.png
    shot_2021-12-29_13-13-29.png
    361.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

MrHifiTunes

You make assumptions based on your unconscious responses.
Yes of course....that is just my point no? There are blanks...depending on how you fill them, you can have whatever outcome you want.
As long as we don't know them it is hard to make a proper objective evaluation.

Top Bottom