• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wilson Audio TuneTot Review (high-end bookshelf speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 364 58.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 186 30.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 7.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

zeppzeppzepp

Mind to explain your non science based rating system ?

Maybe Low distortion to play music at 120dB?
Ha, as I already mentioned in another replying, I would get the speakers with the lowest distortion and enough bass extension that I can afford.
I can fix other aspects by all kinds of tools available if need to.
I also mentioned I don't against other rating or so called standard or science, that's just another way around.
I don't sell to the perfect sound, if it does exist, and all speakers sound similar will be a nightmare.

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Probably really well, given that they actively protect themselves from damage in ways that passive speakers can't(why I've only ever had to replace drivers in passive speakers). They are also designed for pro use, and in pro use, reliability is the number 1 variable. Speakers from companies like Genelec, Neumann, ATC are designed to work 8 hours a day under heavy use for a really long time.
That's what I'm hoping. Well, actually, I'm hoping my little 8030c's fail within a reasonable amount of time so I have an excuse to upgrade to the 8351b's. ;)

zeppzeppzepp

PA speakers are what you should be looking at.

My ElectroVoices are rated for a stupid high 135 db max SPL.
It reminds me listening to all the music through brutal low end bose PA speakers in the school days.
Does science steal some fun from me? :cool:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
It reminds me listening to all the music through brutal low end bose PA speakers in the school days.
Does science steal some fun from me? :cool:

PAs have come a long way since then.

DSP-corrected, high power light cool class D amps with direct digital input and built in wireless connectivity, Dante audio over Ethernet, etc.

Gatordaddy

Forum Donor
Quiet a populist answer without going into detail and give some deeper inside.
I capture more : " Those high end brands are a real rip-off and I know enough" attitude.

We don't need to agree...you have your reason I have mine. We both are guessing anyway...

Did you ever watch the movie 12 angry men? Maybe a good suggestion for the holiday season.
@amirm please give us the haha react we deserve

Gatordaddy

Forum Donor
Is it audiable? this is the M106. Where you draw the line between good and bad?
index.php
Both the Genelec and M106 have smoother in room, dig much lower, don't have the same directivity errors, and are much cheaper. The Revels, like the Wilsons, also have very fine cabinetry. If you want something nicer but still less than half the cost of the tune tots the 126Be are quite striking in all their finishes. I don't really know what your point here is besides to defend a luxury brand. (I'm 20 pages behind, maybe it becomes clear)

DanielT

Major Contributor
I don't know what is getting more reviewed, Wilson speaker or me! :)
But, after all, if you talk about your subjective experiences of speakers, it is still interesting to know how high up in frequency you can hear.
Although I understand if you do not want to tell us.:)

By the way, as someone once said regarding Hifi: When I was young I had hearing but no money, now I'm older I have money but no hearing.

This of course applies to all of us. Aging and the ability to hear high frequency.It's just the way it is.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Yes! The Harmon curve lacks bass in my opinion. I want headphones with serious deep bass that vibrates the eardrums. In speakers I have a subwoofer that will do the job. The let down for me is that I can't find any headphones that everyone would say "that's way too much bass" as I would buy them and love them! I guess none are made. So I say phooey on every day headphone use.
You might like the Teufel Massive. This closed-back headphone has an extremely boosted low end (probably more centered around 100Hz that really deep sub-bass) and is famuous in Germany/Europe for being THE bass monster of headphones. I own one and I hate it... except when doing live jobs or as a monitor when playing and recording bass guitar ;-)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But, after all, if you talk about your subjective experiences of speakers, it is still interesting to know how high up in frequency you can hear.
Although I understand if you do not want to tell us.:)

By the way, as someone once said regarding Hifi: When I was young I had hearing but no money, now I'm older I have money but no hearing.
Speakers (and headphones) are made or broken with performance up to 7 to 8 kHz. Get that right and what else it is doing up higher only matters in rare cases. Let's remember that countless mix and mastering engineers are old too with attendant high frequency loss.

My last hearing test went up only 8 kHz and indicated age related high frequency hearing loss. However, I have above average sensitivity below that region.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Speakers (and headphones) are made or broken with performance up to 7 to 8 kHz. Get that right and what else it is doing up higher only matters in rare cases. Let's remember that countless mix and mastering engineers are old too with attendant high frequency loss.

My last hearing test went up only 8 kHz and indicated age related high frequency hearing loss. However, I have above average sensitivity below that region.
It surprises me when people get hung up on performance at the highest frequencies.

Quite apart from whether we have age related hearing loss the reality is a lot of music has very little high frequency content and that which is there isn't that loud, and therefore perhaps not very audible given equal loudness reality.

Some percussive instruments do have output right into frequencies beyond the hearing of any human but tuned musical instruments rarely do, as above around 4kHz all the musical sounds are overtones anyway, so nice to hear and influencing timbre but by no means musically crucial.

Bass OTOH is always heard or felt by all of us at all ages and there is loads of it is almost all music.

It is barking mad IMO how people are excited about the top audible octave of 10 to 20 kHz which contains very little musical information but are happy with small speakers incapable of audible bass level.

It has always been a mystery to me. Nice to have, of course, but far more emphasis put on it than makes sense for music.

EXIF68

Digby

Major Contributor
Bass OTOH is always heard or felt by all of us at all ages and there is loads of it is almost all music.

It is barking mad IMO how people are excited about the top audible octave of 10 to 20 kHz which contains very little musical information but are happy with small speakers incapable of audible bass level.

It has always been a mystery to me. Nice to have, of course, but far more emphasis put on it than makes sense for music.
Well, try convincing people that bigger is better regarding speakers, it seems to be a hard sell.

It is only my opinion and it isn't my site, so Amir can do what he wants, but I don't understand the point of testing endless iterations of dome tweeter + 5" woofer, whether expensive or not; we know these speakers will not reproduce bass properly nor reach decent SPL levels unless you are sitting 1m away, so wouldn't it be better to move on to more interesting designs?

One interesting design I can think of that I'd like to see tested is the Mackie HR824 mk2, it has 8" driver + passive radiator and likely has decent SPL output. This has the potential to be the best in its size and price class.

I also think that putting time and energy into ultra low end speakers like Amazon Basics is a waste of time. Who buys such a speaker and has the equipment to measure and EQ it in room? If they have that gear, then they have more money for a better speaker. I would rather see more interesting and relevant equipment measured TBH.

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Long, long time ago there was a small speaker, similar to this Wilson-Audio TuneTot in the Elector Magazine. This system was called "A4-Monitor".
I have found the documentation to this system here:
They have written in this article that they never heard a better system than this at this size of speaker :)
Classic drivers. This for example:

But now that it looks like SB is pricing itself into the market, look at the price-performance ratio on this::)

MrHifiTunes

Both the Genelec and M106 have smoother in room, dig much lower, don't have the same directivity errors, and are much cheaper. The Revels, like the Wilsons, also have very fine cabinetry. If you want something nicer but still less than half the cost of the tune tots the 126Be are quite striking in all their finishes. I don't really know what your point here is besides to defend a luxury brand. (I'm 20 pages behind, maybe it becomes clear)
My point was more in line with where you draw the line between good and bad.
eg for DAC on say that if noise is down -120db is not audible anymore.

How flat is flat?
what is wobbly directivity and what is not...
etc...

Dont know if there is some documentation about it.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
My point was more in line with where you draw the line between good and bad.
eg for DAC on say that if noise is down -120db is not audible anymore.

How flat is flat?
what is wobbly directivity and what is not...
etc...

Dont know if there is some documentation about it.
Flat: look.
directivity: Look bis

The poor design : Wilson against the well design : Neumann.

Top Bottom