• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wilson Audio TuneTot Review (high-end bookshelf speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 364 58.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 186 30.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 7.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

Vladimir Filevski

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why the bleeding would be so much stronger here then on other designs? Many speakers have baffle like this one.
It is not stronger for the Wilson TuneTot only, it is the same with all measured loudspeakers here (depending on tweeter-woofer distance, etc.) - it is an artifact of near-field measuring while both drivers are working.

MrHifiTunes

But he did need to eq them (OK, he used the in-room response rather than the Klippel raw one) - that was the point I'm trying to make.

I'm well aware what less than stellar directivity does, especially in a heavily soft-furnished room. Combine that with a 3dB trough in the lower kHz region which makes it worse and the result in a room like mine is dull as ditchwater and bland as a result with 'sweet toned 'tinsel' for highs. I don't want a screech-box and neither a loudness switch 'boom - tizz' affair (I already had overdone dominant bass with a pair of passive Linn Keilidh's back in the day but the peak was at 50Hz or so I remember). The music I play has plentiful bass from 40Hz or so upwards and many modern speakers either fart these frequencies out with copious distortion, or remove it altogether. I don't mind a gently rolled off low bass, as long as it's clean and not boomy (group delay?)
You are well aware what a flat FR plot with bad directivity does. That is something different then this speaker.

And to be honest we are rumbling already 57 pages about this speaker. Is there anyone who contributes considering to buy it?

I for sure don't bother. Even if it would measure like a genelec or whatever I wouldn't even consider it. I dont spent 10k on hifi material. I rather spent 10k on CD's I like then on gear.

You can be negative about this speaker but it doesnt bring us anywhere.
I like the positive approach, trying to understand what they try to do and learn from it. Im open minded for that.

MrHifiTunes

It is not stronger for the Wilson TuneTot only, it is the same with all measured loudspeakers here (depending on tweeter-woofer distance, etc.) - it is an artifact of near-field measuring while both drivers are working.
It is the first time I see that dip at 1k and 3 k thought. 5db dip. Can you point out other designs which show this? Just for educational purposes

this is the response of the MA he did a few days ago. Dont see those dips there. this one looks like normal xo slopes to me.
index.php

Last edited:

Vladimir Filevski

Addicted to Fun and Learning

DanielT

Major Contributor
Yes, then how to weigh different aspects?
Do yo have no rating system of your own?
I have mine, that's not science anyway.
Why anyone need to follow one rating score? What does it come from? By analyzing brains? Brain scan or something? ha.
I don't against statistics that can predict the speaker performance to some extent, that's fine.
I'm just more open to the exception.
I go for practice, the usual. Fairly low distortion and noise. Straight frequency response and sufficiently large effect on the amplifier (headroom and then more headroom). Plus so the amp can handle low Ohm.

In terms of dispersion. Hm, sensible on axes, otherwise it's pretty pointless to EQa. Much like most I think. Is there a possibility that EQa so more focus on the level of distortion. But I mostly buy old speakers. Tests them for a few months, more or less lets the subconscious guide me. The ones I play with the most I keep. I sell the others.:)

Second system, more prio on the feeling, vintage feeling. Vintage reciver. The sound quality itself is not the highest priority there. Even uses FM radio in the bedroom from time to time.

I should fix the acoustics in the listening room, but I'm a little too lazy. Large carpets and furniture, I think you go a long way and I have. It is worse with roof reflectors.

But if you enter shit into the Hifi system, shit comes out so I try to find sensible recordings.:)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
@Thomas savage had / has a pair of Giya's, that I think imploded or something.
Sorted now , everyone out there needs to thank me for making them better BTW... thats everyone who actually listens to music and wants to feel something other than self granulation..

Maybe not a huge crowd on a audiophile site admittedly but I'm sure some of you ...

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Have you been granulated Thomas,
Very Best,
Keith

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Can't laser interferometry do that?
Would this technology finally make it possible for me to have something bespoke so anal fun can really be fun and not just some mystery thing we all feel bad and inferior about in our relative displeasure, I say relative as iv had a camera down my knob .. hey context is a ill afforded luxury these days , just trying to do my bit .

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
If it does sound good for that reason I do think science comes into play and it is clever engineering.

Of course you realize the probability of happenstance is far greater than that of clever engineering. Engineering a situation in which ragged FR and ragged DI sum together to create a pleasant listening experience would be the absolute longest and most arduous way to reach the goal, and it would likely fail.

Also, as long as you are inside the directivity window, its smoothness matters very little. As these are wide directivity speakers, it is common to be inside the window. I think you are making way too much of the "wobbly-ness" of the DI.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Would this technology finally make it possible for me to have something bespoke so anal fun can really be fun and not just some mystery thing we all feel bad and inferior about in our relative displeasure, I say relative as iv had a camera down my knob .. hey context is a ill afforded luxury these days , just trying to do my bit .

You've been missed, you filthy animal!

Happy holidays!

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I wasn't until this thread, but now I at least want a demo.

I'd love to compare it to the Magico A1 and TAD Micro Evolution One.
I wouldn't think that TAD is anything to get excited about , iv had all the various TAD ranges in my house and can't say anything special happened.

But still direct comparisons would be fun , if the pub was shut and every concert venue, all your friends were locked away and sex was only avaliable in missionary position with a elderly relative you where shielding with ( one would then have to ask the merits of what you were shielding them from ) .

But hey

zeppzeppzepp

I go for practice, the usual. Fairly low distortion and noise. Straight frequency response and sufficiently large effect on the amplifier (headroom and then more headroom). Plus so the amp can handle low Ohm.

In terms of dispersion. Hm, sensible on axes, otherwise it's pretty pointless to EQa. Much like most I think. Is there a possibility that EQa so more focus on the level of distortion. But I mostly buy old speakers. Tests them for a few months, more or less lets the subconscious guide me. The ones I play with the most I keep. I sell the others.:)

Second system, more prio on the feeling, vintage feeling. Vintage reciver. The sound quality itself is not the highest priority there. Even uses FM radio in the bedroom from time to time.

I should fix the acoustics in the listening room, but I'm a little too lazy. Large carpets and furniture, I think you go a long way and I have. It is worse with roof reflectors.

But if you enter shit into the Hifi system, shit comes out so I try to find sensible recordings.:)

So the differences all comes from the beginning.
I can play almost any lousy recordings on my systems.
My criterion for speakers is simple, it need to be played very loud and can endure all the bass thumping recordings.
Then all the cheap speakers with typical distortion and enclosure resonance are out of my sight.
No tiny speakers even Genelec or Neumann, maybe I could like the largest ones.
So what's about the science? I know what parameters I need to care about and that's all.
Is there any rewarding to train myself to be an expert that loving high scored flat-response small speakers?
Because that can change my thinking to be more scientific? No, thanks.
That's interesting.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I wouldn't think that TAD is anything to get excited about , iv had all the various TAD ranges in my house and can't say anything special happened.

But still direct comparisons would be fun , if the pub was shut and every concert venue, all your friends were locked away and sex was only avaliable in missionary position with a elderly relative you where shielding with ( one would then have to ask the merits of what you were shielding them from ) .

But hey

They probably aren't, but you can't even find TAD dealers around here, so they have the mystique of the unknown.

Plus the Micro Evolutions are an Andrew Jones design so, "wooo designer speaker". -- I'd be curious if he does much better than the cheapie ELACs when given a bigger budget to work with.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Are the Micro’s a Jones design I thought the CR1 and Ref were his?
Keith

Top Bottom