• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wilson Audio TuneTot Review (high-end bookshelf speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 364 58.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 186 30.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 7.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
For too many, it is about believing that they get to experience something special that others without the often considerable means required cannot.

I like paying extra for something that might not even be SOTA, be measures good enough, and looks awesome.

Fits in with my archaic technology watches that measure poorly but look cool.

Crosstalk

It's pretty much the type of derisive attitude you are bringing that turn some people off a site like this (who otherwise may have got something out of it). Basically, anyone who doesn't agree with you is a dupe.

Funny how you have come to this forum, slagging those who would give any props to the Tune Tots, in the very thread where the owner of the forum recommendation them after reviewing the measurements and on sound quality (as, once equalized, they performed more impressively than the Revel speakers to which he compared them, to his ears).

But...you know better. And that's ok. ;-)
Where did I claim I know better? Still doesn’t change my opinion about it. Kef r3 is Miles ahead in terms of engineering compared to this. This survives on marketing and people who defend them.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I like paying extra for something that might not even be SOTA, be measures good enough, and looks awesome.

Fits in with my archaic technology watches that measure poorly but look cool.

To clarify, I meant audibly special/better.

I don't believe you buy the gear you do in the belief it 'sounds better' than less expensive alternatives, but because it has enough that's cool about it to be worth it to you. That's different, and one of the benefits of having disposable income after all.

There's a lot of affluence hate (envy?) on the forum. It's usually pretty transparent, but still unwanted. The cheering when 'expensive' gear doesn't meet the expectations of some can be...unseemly.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Honestly the mistake some members here make is assuming everyone is looking for a flat and accurate sound like they are(myself included) , if that was the case tube amps, turntables and"warm sounding " speakers wouldn't exist.
Most audiophiles don't even care how the original recording sound, they just want a pleasing sound and to make ugly recordings sound nice on their system.
So i guess they're always gonna be a market for something like the TuneTot

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Honestly the mistake some members here make is assuming everyone is looking for a flat and accurate sound like they are(myself included) , if that was the case tube amps, turntables and"warm sounding " speakers wouldn't exist.
Most audiophiles don't even care how the original recording sound, they just want a pleasing sound and to make ugly recordings sound nice on their system.
So i guess they're always gonna be a market for something like the TuneTot

I actually have three systems.

My mixing studio system at my DAW has nearfield active monitor speakers + sub (Dynaudio LYD 5 + Sub 18S), RME ADI-2 Pro, and is EQed for the listening position. It's for "work", primarily in Pro Tools. This would be the most ASR-approved.

My big rig "hi fi" in the living room is purely for fun, relaxation, and WAF. It's got all the "just for entertainment" stuff: the passive speakers (Dynaudio Heritage) + subs, the turntable, the reel to reel deck, the tube-based headphone amp, the analog class A/B amp, and a hidden streamer. This is the "audiophile" system.

My garage is my jam & practice system. It has my Mesa Boogie bass amp, my ElectroVoice PA speakers, my JBL 308P monitors, and my microphones. This is the most alien to both ASR and audiophiles, but GearSlutz would be right at home.

All 3 have totally different goals and design priorities. And all are compromises.

DWI

I LOATHE overdone bass. It's cheap FX that cheapens the audio experience. I want a contrabass to sound like that, not like a blue whale's mating call. The obsession with big bass is one of my biggest audio turnoffs. Just buy an effing cheap sub and dial it up to 100% and be satisfied when it rattles shit around it (but watch me walk out of your immature listening room if we're listening to quality music).
No effing musical instrument other than a few cathedral organs produce anything that resembles that obsessively demanded 20Hz tone. In fact 70Hz is perfectly sufficient for pretty much all acoustic music.
I’m the same. My Wilson speakers cost rather more than the Tunetot, @Crosstalk can no doubt list a dozen speakers at 10% of the price with deeper bass, but my Wilson do bass just right for my listening tastes. And a lot else. Plus they look great in a music room that has taken 10 months to rebuild from a brick shell including new acoustic windows. Genelec are beyond ugly because they are not designed for domestic use. If aesthetics are of no interest then Genelec may be a good choice, but most consumer speakers reflect the fact that most people care about how things look in their homes.

I just don’t think measurements are of any relevance for the likely owners of these speakers, so I think Amir‘s comments in that regard just feed people who think only measurements and price are relevant consumer issues.

I have used a subwoofer in my main system, pre Wilson, but did not like it. And they’re ugly.

DWI

I actually have three systems.

My mixing studio system at my DAW has nearfield active monitor speakers + sub (Dynaudio LYD 5 + Sub 18S), RME ADI-2 Pro, and is EQed for the listening position. It's for "work", primarily in Pro Tools. This would be the most ASR-approved.

My big rig "hi fi" in the living room is purely for fun, relaxation, and WAF. It's got all the "just for entertainment" stuff: the passive speakers (Dynaudio Heritage) + subs, the turntable, the reel to reel deck, the tube-based headphone amp, the analog class A/B amp, and a hidden streamer. This is the "audiophile" system.

My garage is my jam & practice system. It has my Mesa Boogie bass amp, my ElectroVoice PA speakers, my JBL 308P monitors, and my microphones. This is the most alien to both ASR and audiophiles, but GearSlutz would be right at home.

All 3 have totally different goals and design priorities. And all are compromises.
… which sums up the whole discussion perfectly.

p.s. I used the predecessor of the Heritage, the Contour 1.1, for over 10 years.

zeppzeppzepp

I, and many (most?) others here would also, though there are many listeners out there who want to place them, hook them up, and listen to music. They might be perfectly content.

Bill

My suggestion, get decent floor standing speakers with good measurement and place them in a large space (I can totally agree the Toole score (whatever score?) in this situation), problem solved.

Measurements are very helpful to know how to deal with all kinds of speakers, and I'm very appreciate there are more measurements around than ever.
But, it seems going too far to just wish to get good scored small speakers into random rooms (maybe plus chaos with subs) to obtain highly satisfied accurate sound.

Last edited:

DWI

This survives on marketing and people who defend them.
Seriously, what on earth do you know about how Wilson speakers are sold? Have you ever been to a Wilson dealer demonstration? Have you ever owned Wilson? Ever had them at home? Know anyone who has bought them?

Contrary to what you believe is humanly possible, we bought a pair without knowing anything about the Wilson business, its engineers, its marketing, any product reviews or the speaker measurements. And I haven’t looked at any of this stuff since we bought them. I‘ve not heard anyone defending these speakers, if there was no demand for them they wouldn’t make them.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
without knowing anything about the Wilson business, its engineers, its marketing, any product reviews or the speaker measurements.
I find it strange that you make very expensive purchases without doing any research beforehand yet hang out at a forum called Audio Science Review. You seem to defend Wilson by saying most of their customers are.. uninformed?

DWI

I find it strange that you make very expensive purchases without doing any research beforehand yet hang out at a forum called Audio Science Review. You seem to defend Wilson by saying most of their customers are.. uninformed?
We made an informed purchase, just not how @Crosstalk thinks everyone should be informed. I can’t say anything about Wilson’s customer besides ourselves, as I don’t know any.

DanielT

Major Contributor
What am I going to look at when listening to music if not the amp? It's right in the middle! ;)
But then .... there you got me. He he.:)

Incidentally, one of my small DIY projects next year. Place the ugly subwoofer amplifier in a ventilated cabinet. I just need to build suitable ventilation pipes. Then I do not have to see that rubbish.Had there been a little more space I would have built a under the sofa subwoffer.

rkt31

Seriously, what on earth do you know about how Wilson speakers are sold? Have you ever been to a Wilson dealer demonstration? Have you ever owned Wilson? Ever had them at home? Know anyone who has bought them?

Contrary to what you believe is humanly possible, we bought a pair without knowing anything about the Wilson business, its engineers, its marketing, any product reviews or the speaker measurements. And I haven’t looked at any of this stuff since we bought them. I‘ve not heard anyone defending these speakers, if there was no demand for them they wouldn’t make them.
there would be demand of a diamond and precious stone studded hammer too but that won't make the hammer more effective. :p

DanielT

Major Contributor
Dear members of ASR,

Since more than a year I REALLY love ASR, considering that I even write my masters thesis on sound reproduction for educational sciences and i got some great insights from this forum! Thank you for that! Although I’ll still read in ASR, this thread makes me really sad and confused: So many speaker just measured better - i get that the price is not included in the scoring - but for me this whole debate feels like going back to zero where I startet some months ago (intellectually): Complete „Luxury-Audio-Nirvana-Voodoo-Land“. To be honest, I feel kind of depressed, that - for me - this beloved website and forum lost its nimbus of a purely science-driven approach.
What are you sorry for? That people have different likes and tastes?I would have been sadder if people were exactly the same.

For example, an extra hup, a little extra bass in the lower registers is a classic. Some like it, others do not. This "disco" bass,
"youth bass" (call what you want, dear children have many names) is well known to EVERYONE who does Hifi. It can be deliberately built into speakers. Either you like it or you do not. You can of course EQa one if you want that, or remove it.

You know the loudness function on some amplifiers. Some like it, others do not. It can even be like this: I like the loudness function.. sometimes, sometimes not. It depends on the form of the day.

The so-called BBC dip mentioned in the thread. Some like it, others do not.

I think one thing, however, and there I think everyone thinks the same: The price of the Wilson Audio TuneTot is very high. That's crazy.

Edit:
By the way, nowadays there are a lot of opportunities to EQ. For example, I think ALL subwoofers, for example, need EQ in a living room. That's just the way it works with room acoustics and subwoofers. Sub it depends on the ability to pump air and low distortion.Not to mention our ears, where one and the same headphone can differ in 10 dB FR from person to person.

Last edited:
Top Bottom