• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wilson Audio TuneTot Review (high-end bookshelf speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 363 58.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 186 30.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 7.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

DSJR

Major Contributor
I just don't get it with this one - at all it seems...

You peeps have the audacity to slag off a 1/5 price cheaper old model ATC and an even older model Harbeth for gently tilting response 'errors' deliberately designed in (well, at least one was!), yet these expensive hideous looking monstrosities are 'tolerated' and excuses made for +/- 5dB response errors with one set as a massive crossover region dip and the other a one-note bass bump??? (bass unit looks as if it has extra doping over the stock model?) and because of the price asked and the high end audiophool cachet of this brand, it's almost fearful to be *too* negative about them?

The best measuring Wilsons I remember were the mid to late 90's WITT which was a fairly conventional 12" three way (5" or so cone mid and Focal inverted grey-dome tweet) in a VERY heavy box with best of 1970's British-Leyland car standard orange-peel black laquer on the sides! They actually sounded good I remember but cost at least as much as a pair of superior ATC 100A's which weighed at least as much too...

Excuse the rant, but come on, when Neumann and Genelec to name but two of the better known and liked-here makers can run rings around these and are fully active as well...

respice finem

Major Contributor

Vintage57

Forum Donor
Any Neumann’s and Genelec’s, period.

Neumann’s that have been tested all scored higher. Without discussing price per point earned.

PS I did not read all 100+ posts.

I did vote headless. Lol.

respice finem

Major Contributor
If this would be 500Euro/pair speakers people would say:

Not bad overall, but this idiots realy messed up the port calculation.

But this are 10k speakers with a 5 inch woofer. Thats a bad joke.
Yes. Then again, even for those 500 € / pair there are far better offers available, only with less "bragging rights".

Da cynics

Mere imagination
Some high-end manufacturers know that flat frequency response, controlled directivity, elements that seduce people different from this somewhat established standard ...?

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't get how one can recommend a speaker without considering the price. It seems to factor into the recommendation when reviewing lower cost speakers, so why not the high cost speakers as well?

This measures worse than some of the worst speakers I have, now that's impressive.

FeddyLost

Because WA still not gone bankrupt, such tuning and design is widely acceptable for audiophiles.
Even distortion profiling (2nd is dominating) is deliberate, i'd say.
Because in 10K budget one can get distortion lower than this without troubles, just by ordering proper drivers and measuring every speaker at QA step.
Obviously, it's not an "instrumental grade" control speaker as it was never intended to be.

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
I was struggling to understand the meaning of this "Tot"... perhaps they meant that it doesn't need EQ? Or that they are "definetly" tuned? ... or perhaps they don't consider the German interpretation after all. :)
For folks outside US/UK: "tot" is a term for something small, such as a child. :) (I apologize if I am seriously asking a question that was asked as a joke!!)
Of course, in Wilson's universe, even the tiniest baby weighs 29lb/13kg...

Last edited:

PenguinMusic

Hi guys,

Love this review...

Why ?
Because of it's conclusion.
I think it can be summed up this way : "Despite measurements that are not stellar, it provides a lot of fun to listen to".

So, measurements are not everything after all in audio domain ?
Good to know :) And since the boss says it...

I would really like to see amirm do it the other way round :
- listen to the gear first
- measure it after

Regards.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You peeps have the audacity to slag off a 1/5 price cheaper old model ATC and an even older model Harbeth for gently tilting response 'errors' deliberately designed in (well, at least one was!), yet these expensive hideous looking monstrosities are 'tolerated' and excuses made for +/- 5dB response errors with one set as a massive crossover region dip and the other a one-note bass bump??? (bass unit looks as if it has extra doping over the stock model?) and because of the price asked and the high end audiophool cachet of this brand, it's almost fearful to be *too* negative about them?
Which peeps? I read in this topic almost everyone (deservedly) slaughtering them?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
index.php

Sub-bass response on TuneTot was better than I expect from a small speaker.

It seems @amirm and I have a different understanding of what sub-bass means. This speaker is 20dB (10x lower) below average level at 40Hz compared to -8dB (a bit more than half) at the same frequency on the similar sized Monitor Audio Silver 100 below.

index.php

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These guys are Mormons right?

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I gave it a 'not terrible' because it is patently not terrible, just poor.

Did not take the price into account as the selection doesn't qualify it, the choice isn't 'not terrible for the money'.

Obviously the price is stupid but who in their right minds would pay ten grand for a dinky little two-way in any case? I wouldn't pay that much even if it was the best measuring dinky little two way ever.

Top Bottom