• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wilson Audio TuneTot Review (high-end bookshelf speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 364 58.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 186 30.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 7.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can afford Wilson Audio speakers but don't have them, and I know people who can't afford Wilson Audio speakers but have them nonetheless.
There's just something so smug and smarmy about telling someone the only reason he doesn't like something is because he can't afford it. It speaks volumes about the person articulating that, and none of it's favorable.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
It appears to be lost on him that many of us are well-compensated on this site and very much can afford expensive products, have heard them, and have chosen not to buy them, because they are not performant. Of course, we will win this argument only very slowly.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
There's just something so smug and smarmy about telling someone the only reason he doesn't like something is because he can't afford it. It speaks volumes about the person articulating that, and none of it's favorable.

Totally agree, it's really mean.

I only make the "you don't have it because you can't afford it" comments when referring to people's ill behaved children.

KellenVancouver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
More absolute Garbage from this site.
Lots of pretty graphs showing nonsense. Tons of issues, but let’s start with:
1. the ”robotic” NFS measurement device - you cannot accurately subtract room reflections from the direct sound measurement, which is why no real pros do this. The math quite frankly has not been invented yet to do this properly. So right off the bat, this “test” is a complete joke.
2. room temp was 14C? What? You don’t listen to a loudspeaker in 14C/57F rooms, they are designed for at least 18C. Normal room temp is 20C/68F
3. Aligned “by eye” to the speaker center, which the tester guessed -wrongly - is the tweeter. Wilson states the center is not the tweeter. Read the manual, for starters.

Most of this site is a DISASTER. It’s where those who can’t afford, or don’t want to, pay for high-end audio come to lament the fact that these products suck. So wrong. It’s actually laughable.

You guys have no idea what you’re missing out on!
iu

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I liked this one in particular:

"Hahahahah. I have not laughed so hard at a thread in a long time. Some of you are delusional. YES, digital cables make a difference. But not as much on sh!tty gear. So that is likely your problem. And the apparent fact that you prefer to wallow in ignorance. Do yourselves a favor - listen to them. But if you can’t or don’t want to pay for better gear, then don’t. But stop spreading lies."

Which is saying that there's an audible difference between digital cables that are correctly manufactured. Talk about spreading lies...

And no doubt to appear soon on another forum: “I got kicked off ASR. They are Nazis who won’t tolerate any alternative opinion!”

Frgirard

Major Contributor
And no doubt to appear soon on another forum: “I got kicked off ASR. They are Nazis who won’t tolerate any alternative opinion!”
When I make a historical comparison on the public of jazz and its actors, my remarks are censored for racism. There is a serious sanity issue with the moderation of this forum.

Everett T

Forum Donor
More absolute Garbage from this site.
Lots of pretty graphs showing nonsense. Tons of issues, but let’s start with:
1. the ”robotic” NFS measurement device - you cannot accurately subtract room reflections from the direct sound measurement, which is why no real pros do this. The math quite frankly has not been invented yet to do this properly. So right off the bat, this “test” is a complete joke.
2. room temp was 14C? What? You don’t listen to a loudspeaker in 14C/57F rooms, they are designed for at least 18C. Normal room temp is 20C/68F
3. Aligned “by eye” to the speaker center, which the tester guessed -wrongly - is the tweeter. Wilson states the center is not the tweeter. Read the manual, for starters.

Most of this site is a DISASTER. It’s where those who can’t afford, or don’t want to, pay for high-end audio come to lament the fact that these products suck. So wrong. It’s actually laughable.

You guys have no idea what you’re missing out on!
Who doesn't know what they're missing out on? I've owned uber expensive gear, cables, and speakers in the course of 45 years doing this, I don't need to drop $12k on a two channel amp to get the performance of a $2k one. I still spend good money on speakers, I just don't have to spend $30k to get the same level of enjoyment I get from $6k.

As for your defense of Wilson speakers, other then the few (less then 4) designed by a now deceased prolific designer, none sounded great and most sounded horrible in the early days up till the mid 2000s. When I say horrible, I've never seen a manufacturer make top shelve drivers sound so bad for the prices charged. I'm not here to bash Wilson or any other manufacturer, but I will review the data and reply accordingly.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Let'em vomit all they like.
There's a limit to being open, beyond which becomes simply trolling.

Everett T

Forum Donor
No 5 inch speaker will ever justify a $10K price tag
i don't even care who's the manufacturer
That definitely gets lost in the conversation lately. There have been a couple of five inch 2 ways id have paid a premium price for, but it was relative to the cost of the drivers and construction materials.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
It appears to be lost on him that many of us are well-compensated on this site and very much can afford expensive products, have heard them, and have chosen not to buy them, because they are not performant. Of course, we will win this argument only very slowly.
A relatively famous reviewer over here said, some days ago, that he liked the LS50 Wireless II more than the LS50 meta on a pair of massive McIntosh monophonic amps. That right there is the confirmation that psycoacoustics are terrible advisors when you get audio gear, precisely the point you make.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
No 5 inch speaker will ever justify a $10K price tag
i don't even care who's the manufacturer
Agreed,
There's just no way any 5" speaker can deliver the bottom line performance to justify that kind of cash.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
When I make a historical comparison on the public of jazz and its actors, my remarks are censored for racism. There is a serious sanity issue with the moderation of this forum.
Your comment was reported multiple times by other members as Racist. I tried to defend your post but the reports keep coming. My point is it was not the Moderation but other members who did not like your post and it was seen by them as Racist. The Moderators rarely engage unless prompted by Members Reports. You misread the audience and continue to place blame on others. You had a post removed, good grief get over it.

Top Bottom