• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wilson Audio TuneTot Review (high-end bookshelf speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 364 58.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 186 30.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 7.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I only have one unit. The resonance was not coming from the case which is what they used the laser vibrometer for.
I know.. still, why optimize one thing into oblivion while leaving a glaring resonance at another place.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
With about 90% votes for poor or "not terrible", and these measurements - I just don't get the recommendation from @amirm ....?
Sometimes the chips fall this way. I think part of the reason is the well behaved off-axis response if you eliminate the bass boost (which I corrected in EQ).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I know.. still, why optimize one thing into oblivion while leaving a glaring resonance at another place.
Measuring such things is tricky business. It is possible they have not seen it (or heard it). I also don't know if it is possible to build a small speaker that has no resonances at 96 dBSPL.

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sometimes the chips fall this way. I think part of the reason is the well behaved off-axis response if you eliminate the bass boost (which I corrected in EQ).
But a product in this price range that really needs EQ is just not good and certainly doesn't deserve a recommendation.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But a product in this price range that really needs EQ is just not good and certainly doesn't deserve a recommendation.
I didn't recommend it without EQ.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Interesting review.:)
The dip at 2,7 kHz is probably a compensation to get the power response right , because of bad directivity with no waveguide.

The peak at 4- 6 kHz is psycoacoustical right when playing music in stereo with two loudspeakers, the Revel m106 has this peak to.
Using my Genelec 8340 with GLM, my own recent experience is that the sound becomes even better with a little more energy in this area ( +1,5 dB between 4,5 kHz-8 kHz. ) This is only true when playing music in stereo with two loudspeakers.

28605403-1E40-4640-AB03-3FFE6A318719.png
FE6C0BC8-D339-455D-8A0D-76624F2C1C32.png

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yes, the YouTube comment section is more accessible to the "professional audiophile" people to express their opinion, that was my hidden goal! :D
I hear you :) I am returning this unit tomorrow but can still do a video review based on the text.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Are we letting the subjective impressions prevail over the poor measurements? I mean, this speaker is nowhere near full range.

Who expects these to be "full range"?

NYfan2

Forum Donor
A big thumbs up for Armir and the member that provided the sample.

Finally a Wilson speaker measured! Now someone bring in a Magico.

Interesting to see that the measurements are pretty bad but the sound is OK. Guess it's tuned to give this showroom sound to impress during the first listening sessions.
$10.000,- for a pair of loudspeakers with a preference score of 2.3 :rolleyes:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I didn't recommend it without EQ.
I think next time you should take a picture with 2 panthers, one with and one without equalizer. Just like you do for headphones. That gives a better view of what you are actually getting.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are we letting the subjective impressions prevail over the poor measurements? I mean, this speaker is nowhere near full range.
The panther and recommendation have always been based primarily on the subjective test.

Koeitje

Major Contributor

Interesting to see that the measurements are pretty bad but the sound is OK. Guess it's tuned to give this showroom sound to impress during the first listening sessions.
From what I've seen Magico speakers are actually pretty good. The value proposition might be questionable, but that's a different story.

These Wilson's are objectively bad.

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
Who expects these to be "full range"?
I don't, but this makes a subwoofer necessary, which again raises the costs. Keep in mind that Wilson Audio's cheapest sub (watch dog) costs 10.000 dollar and is passive, so you also need an amp and crossover.

So we have a small unit, which needs a subwoofer, an EQ to even out the frequency response - all for 10.000 dollar a pair - and this gets a recommendation?

No, just no.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Measuring such things is tricky business. It is possible they have not seen it (or heard it). I also don't know if it is possible to build a small speaker that has no resonances at 96 dBSPL.
I feel like there are plenty of small monitors that haven't? The distortion of the Focal Solo6 Be is better than this and I also don't see any resonances nor did you report any in the review. I use it as an example because It's about the same size and similar but better dispersion.

wwenze

Major Contributor

That reminds me that PMC Twenty.21 has a preference rating of 2.4

Top Bottom