• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Willsenton R8

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean it’s a tube amp, going to have distortion and funky measurements in the 2nd and 3rd harmonics. Someone would have to drop ship it to Amir

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems to be the flavour of the month on SNA, quite a few fanbois are pumping it up.

Any chance you can get one in Amir and pop the hood and test it to see what the hype is about ?

https://www.stereonet.com/forums/topic/322734-willsenton-r8-owners-thread/
Theres a much better chance for him to "pop the hood" if he has one in hand
Buy one and have it shipped to him and donate to the forum would increase the probabilities you get what you want.
When should he expect that delivery?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I would be curious about this one, though I am more interested in the Boyuu/Reisong/ Yulu and Oldchen/Laochen/Aichen stuff.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Anybody here own one? Any comments on it?
Thomas and Stereo and Jay Soulsik both posted glowing subjective reviews on YT. The balanced Willsenton SET amps look cooler to me, like R800i 805 amp.

I may start testing some of this stuff at some point, but I have some work to do on my lab first. You don't need Amir's setup to test a 68dB SINAD 75W tube amp.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want one, buy it, but don't expect state of the art performance from a point-to-point wired, push-pull KT88 amplifier with choke-filtered B+ power supply. This sort of thing has been well-understood for decades.

Dagwood

If you want one, buy it, but don't expect state of the art performance from a point-to-point wired, push-pull KT88 amplifier with choke-filtered B+ power supply. This sort of thing has been well-understood for decades.
Howdy Jeff,

First time posting here and when it comes to tubes, I'm a complete noob. It's to my understanding that SET is preferred over push-pull for tube sound but I thought point-to-point was preferred over PCB? I'm interested in purchasing the R8. Do you think my money would be better invested elsewhere?

Dagwood

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO - you are better investing in a transparent solid state amp, then if you want tube distortion, add it digitally. That way, when you decide the distortion is not what you wanted after all, you can revert to nice clean power.

Probably much cheaper also.

Dagwood

IMO - you are better investing in a transparent solid state amp, then if you want tube distortion, add it digitally. That way, when you decide the distortion is not what you wanted after all, you can revert to nice clean power.

Probably much cheaper also.
Appreciate your advice and thank you for your time!

Dagwood

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Appreciate your advice and thank you for your time!

Dagwood
Welcome - and sorry, I should have said "if" not "when" - some people just prefer tube distortion.

I would quite like a tube amp - but that is mainly because I think they look cool. And I'm not prepared to pay the required price for that aesthetic.:D

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It will keep you warm and cozy...

Dagwood

Welcome - and sorry, I should have said "if" not "when" - some people just prefer tube distortion.

I would quite like a tube amp - but that is mainly because I think they look cool. And I'm not prepared to pay the required price for that aesthetic.:D
A lot of folks say that there is good and bad distortion. Whatever that means...

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First time posting here and when it comes to tubes, I'm a complete noob. It's to my understanding that SET is preferred over push-pull for tube sound but I thought point-to-point was preferred over PCB? I'm interested in purchasing the R8. Do you think my money would be better invested elsewhere?
Dagwood,

Remember that it's your hobby, and if the looks, features and price of the Willsenton R8 floats your boat, maybe you should buy it. Assuming that it's competently implemented, it may be sufficiently accurate-ish that you can turn your attention to matters which make a more profound sonic difference, like room correction.

Ask Benchmark's John_Siau or Topping's JohnYang1997, and they'll tell you that meticulous PCB design is an essential ingredient for achieving state of the art performance. But I've built many less-than-SOTA tube amplifiers using point-to-point wiring and appreciate the hobby value of fussing with such anachronisms. Did I ever discover some un-measurable sonic truths from this old technology? Naaah. But even if a product winds up on the wrong end of the SINAD rankings, it doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. P2P-wired tube amps are a particular favorite of tweakers, because circuit revisions are easier with this sort of construction.

I've had quite a few single-ended amplifiers (300B, 45, 6P14P, 6BM8, even a wee little APPJ, and I've had fun with them, though I can't say I've ever experienced a particular single-ended/triode/pentode/zero-NFB sound.

ThoFi

Howdy Jeff,

Dagwood

There are 2 camps out there, the objectivists and subjectivists.
I believe in engineering and measurements.
So I bought a Hypex Class D amp (neutral, high powered…) and wasn’t happy with the forward, fast, fatigue etc sound.
So I bought the R8.
Wow, so much more to my taste. I love it. I now like to listen music for hours again.
Yes, the sound is different, more pleasant, maybe distorted.
I don’t care others opinion on sound.
A necessity in hifi is home audition.
If you are interested have a look here
https://www.stereonet.com/forums/to...thread/page/131/?tab=comments#comment-5862165

Scienceguy

Hi:
I totally agree with everything ThoFi mentioned - be your own person when it comes to "your" sound - your not choosing your components to make "them" happy!

Don't get discouraged by some of the replies on this forum I've come to realize that many who comment here have never heard or wish to hear a good tube amp and for some reason believe they're swimming in distortion and that solid state is the "be all and end all" - not so! I have owned a lovely "tube" integrated for over 5 years now I love the unfatiguing "sound" and have had no issues what so ever with it. They're too many self proclaimed "audiophiles" that have prejudices that are not based on sound facts yet they always want to throw in their two cents no matter what with sometimes false "blanket" statements in regards to "tube" gear. My dad used to tell me "empty barrels make the most noise" - how true.

The best advice I can give you is find a "reputable" hi-fi shop in your area that sells tube amps and arrange an "in home" audition so you can listen in an environment your familiar and comfortable with. Get a feel for tube amplification and it's amazing ability to re-create the best audio environment in your home. Like myself and "ThoFi" I believe once you've heard the lovely silky detail of a tube amp "solid state" will loose it's appeal - it did for me and I was a "dyed in wool" solid state guy - not any more. I've been a professional studio and touring musician for 30+ years and I'm talking from experience when it comes to recreating a great "home sound" environment.

To give you some background on my stereo system I have an "Audio Space Ref 3.1" KT-88 tube integrated amp 45 watts per channel. To accompany that I bought the much heralded and sought after "Fosgate Signature" tube phono pre-amp which again is a lovely piece which is partnered with my Michel GyroDec SE turntable and Rega RB 3000 tonearm and a "Benz-Micro" LP-MRS moving coil cartridge. To round out the system Magnapan 1.7's on "Mye" speaker stands with two REL R-328 subs along with a Shanling CD 300 tube CD player XLR'd to a "Schiit Audio Yggy" solid state dac, I've found that a blending of tube and solid state in certain combinations can be very magical indeed - don't be afraid to experiment. As you can see once I had my first tube experience I began to see the amazing benefits of that glorious unfatiguing "tube sound" in recreating a very "real" audio experience that we're all after.

I've been an avid listener for well over 40 years and do so every day for a minimum of 2-3 hours. Take your time in selecting and auditioning your pieces - don't rush and you'll slowly assemble an amazing system! Always remember "if it sounds good - it is good"!

Happy listening,
The Scienceguy.

noiseangel

Top Bottom