• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will you stop using Spotify now? Vote

Will you stop using Spotify?

• Yes

Votes: 143 34.5%
  • No

Votes: 226 54.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 35 8.4%
  • On the contrary, I'll start using Spotify now!

Votes: 11 2.7%

• Total voters

jensgk

Forum Donor
Just now, I wanted to make a backup of my Spotify collection with Soundiz, but got this:

spot3.JPG

Also Joni Mitchell is upset:

spot1.JPG

At least some impact on Spotify service a few days ago:

spot2.JPG

Madeintooting

Are the artists removing their product from spotify or is it Pfizer?
Neil Young sold his rights to Hipgnosis, who are owned by Blackstone, who control Pfizer.
Nothing is how it seems.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Please, new thread about streaming providers' decision whether to offer their platform for anti-vaccination people or not. I think it would be sad if this thread is locked.

Yes, I know "Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones" because I mentioned this topic earlier in the thread, but I have changed my mind
(regarding debating this on ASR).

Attachments

• 20220129_140312770.jpeg
    20220129_140312770.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Being a health care pro, no other choice for me than signing out of Spotify (premium) now.

I just installed Amazon Music, easy because I already have account there. Amazon Store is not available in my country, but HD seems to work.

First album to listen to and artist to save is Neil Young and Harvest Moon, Joni second!

(now I must find out about Amazon's attitude to podcast topics... How about Tidal?)

Last edited:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are the artists removing their product from spotify or is it Pfizer?
Neil Young sold his rights to Hipgnosis, who are owned by Blackstone, who control Pfizer.
Nothing is how it seems.
Let's not touch on vaccine conspiracy theories. This pandemic is already a touchy subject for many, and we need to strictly stick to engaging in conversation of audio and music. Let's refrain from questioning other people's choices as well.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Let's not touch on vaccine conspiracy theories. This pandemic is already a touchy subject for many, and we need to strictly stick to engaging in conversation of audio and music. Let's refrain from questioning other people's choices as well.

One post deleted, one thread ban issued, and I am giving a last chance offer to keep the Covid politics out of this thread.
Cheers...

Zensō

Major Contributor
However, how are the other streaming providers? Idealists? What about Amazon? Apple? ...and so on..

Just take this: How much pay, % compensation goes to musicians / artists?

Here’s the summary from the article. Amazon’s payout is confusing because it varies per product, same with YouTube. Apple Music, Napster, and Tidal appear to pay the best on average. With Tidal’s new artist payment plans that were recently rolled out, I’d say they’re the most artist-friendly among this group. BandCamp, of course, is in an entirely different league, far above all of these.

EE40910E-E921-4BCE-B9EF-F2FCF3F1495F.jpeg

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here’s the summary from the article. Amazon’s payout is confusing because it varies per product, same with YouTube. Apple Music, Napster, and Tidal appear to pay the best on average. With Tidal’s new artist payment plans that were recently rolled out, I’d say they’re the most artist-friendly among this group. BandCamp, of course, is in an entirely different league, far above all of these.

View attachment 182764
I think if most people in this day and age were to become “conscious consumers”, they'd revert to owning physical copies of music they liked and listened to. It's an amalgamation of technology and convenience that has pushed streaming to the forefront of consumption, but to each their own. I personally purchase my music that I like to listen to and do tend to purchase it on Bandcamp, often with more than the value suggested for the said piece of music. At the end of the day, musicians and artists are human too and toil to put out their art.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
One post deleted, one thread ban issued, and I am giving a last chance offer to keep the Covid politics out of this thread.
Cheers...
In my defense, I did not know about this with the Covid debate policy on ASR. Now I know that and I accept it to 100%. There are other forums where it can be discussed.

However, generally when you get involved in different forums so ... wait I fix a new thread about it in a suitable place.:)
Edit:

Last edited:

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cheers...
Sad that discussion of a pandemic disease has become "political." But back to the issue of music itself, I wonder how many additional artists might follow Young and Mitchell, and how that might affect Spotify's viability as a music streaming service moving forward. Their reaction to Young suggests that podcasts might be a more important part of their business model than music, which may be why they haven't followed through with higher-resolution streaming.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Sad that discussion of a pandemic disease has become "political." But back to the issue of music itself, I wonder how many additional artists might follow Young and Mitchell, and how that might affect Spotify's viability as a music streaming service moving forward. Their reaction to Young suggests that podcasts might be a more important part of their business model than music, which may be why they haven't followed through with higher-resolution streaming.
That seems like a plausible theory. Spotify has never shown much profit from streaming and it appears they’ve made a hard turn toward podcasting with big payouts to Rogan and others. From my perspective (YMMV), the list of reasons to not support their service is growing longer and longer.

Yuhasz01

For what is is worth, and my observation only, Spotify has the worst sounding music files of the big 3-4 streaming services. Good riddance to their services in music listening marketplace. Plus they exploit music artists with insulting fees to use their work.

ENG

Forum Donor
Being a health care pro, no other choice for me than signing out of Spotify (premium) now.

I just installed Amazon Music, easy because I already have account there. Amazon Store is not available in my country, but HD seems to work.

First album to listen to and artist to save is Neil Young and Harvest Moon, Joni second!

(now I must find out about Amazon's attitude to podcast topics... How about Tidal?)
Hey, you are in Finland. Can you get Amazon Music or Amazon Music HD there? In Denmark we can get nothing. Cheers.

GaryH

Major Contributor
Here’s the summary from the article. Amazon’s payout is confusing because it varies per product, same with YouTube. Apple Music, Napster, and Tidal appear to pay the best on average.
Amazon Unlimited is their only dedicated streaming subscription (the other is just a low bitrate freebie you get as a bonus with a Prime subscription), so that's the only one that should be compared like-for-like with Apple, Napster, Tidal etc., and the figures clearly show Unlimited provides the best payout for artists compared to the other equivalent streaming subscriptions.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Amazon Unlimited is their only dedicated streaming subscription (the other is just a low bitrate freebie you get as a bonus with a Prime subscription), so that's the only one that should be compared like-for-like with Apple, Napster, Tidal etc., and the figures clearly show Unlimited provides the best payout for artists compared to the other equivalent streaming subscriptions.
OK, I didn’t understand that. I wonder though, what percentage of their users are on paid versus free (Prime)?

Thanks!

georgeT

I don't care what the opinions of their podcasters are, I just stay away from music streaming platforms that have podcasts.
Podcasts are trash (Rogan's more so) and deserve their own trash platforms.

Sean Ku

Not intended to further pursue the other reasons behind Young and Mitchell leaving Spotify, but this seemed relevant to the rest of the thread as it pertains to the sound quality:

Famously anti-cd Neil Young, 76 years old, and having done concerts most of his life, still with those golden ears! (Insert multiple laughing emojis)

litemotiv

That seems like a plausible theory. Spotify has never shown much profit from streaming and it appears they’ve made a hard turn toward podcasting with big payouts to Rogan and others.

I don't think that's the main issue though. Spotify could make more money from streaming, but until now they haven chosen to reinvest almost everything to continue growing. That's a strategy you see often these days.

One area where Spotify was lacking however was in original content, since most of their streaming material is also available on the other platforms. So for that reason they shifted a part of their focus to podcasts, to offer users something that they can't get anywhere else. That's the best way to bind people to your brand.

So while everything in the end is related to money, in this sense the relation is more indirect. Spotify cannot raise their subscription prices for lossless since the others are already offering that at no extra cost, so they have to find ways to provide users an exclusive (Joe Rogan...) experience in order to raise prices in the longer term.

When too many music artists start leaving that will be a pickle for sure, and i expect they will then choose to renegotiate Rogan's contract. Podcasts have no long term value, after a few weeks or months almost no one listens to the old ones anymore. You have to keep making new (and good) ones, and that's a more uncertain business model than to stream timeless classics from Neil Young or Joni Mitchell.

Top Bottom