• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will you stop using Spotify now? Vote

Will you stop using Spotify?

• Yes

Votes: 143 34.5%
  • No

Votes: 226 54.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 35 8.4%
  • On the contrary, I'll start using Spotify now!

Votes: 11 2.7%

• Total voters

BN1

More to it than just current listening capabilities. Spatial audio and technology are certain to change our listening enjoyment. Hardware will improve and get cheaper (well, there is inflation ...) and recording techniques will improve. Tidal, Qubuz, Apple, and Amazon have shown leadership in improving sound and making it more affordable to us all. One other streaming service (I forget their name ...) has over-promised and under-delivered for years. Who do you believe will be the leaders as music technology does evolve ?

Zensō

Major Contributor
Who do you believe will be the leaders as music technology does evolve ?
Apple, Amazon, and Google. The simple reason being that music is a loss leader for these massive tech companies that offer streaming as part of their “services” packages to lock subscribers into their ecosystems. The smaller music streaming companies will be unable to compete on price and will likely be confined to ever smaller niches over time.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I certainly am no audiophile and my wife says I am a terrible listener so maybe I'm not qualified to opine on this. But I recently got into this rabbithole hobby and i was interested if i could really tell the difference between the top tier of spotify and services like Tidal, Qobuz, Amazon HD. As part of my research I came across the following article. They had professional sound and mixing engineers that have grammy nominations and other industry awards do a blind test. The results were interesting. A summary quote was "“If there’s any discernible difference, it’s so subtle and so slight, you would have to be somebody who’s been in the business for decades like me to hear it,”

You can test yourself here:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, still I'm using Spotify offers a vast music library, personalized playlists, and podcasts, all at an affordable price. You can enjoy ad-free streaming, offline playback, and seamless integration with your devices. Plus, the app is user-friendly and constantly updated with new features. And however, If you’re looking for a simple and efficient way to transfer your music playlists from Spotify to other streaming services, then I highly recommend trying MusConv. I’m using it for the last 3 months.
Don’t they all offer that?

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
We'll see what happens:
Screenshot_2023-06-21_091620.jpg

For those of you who pay, you can read the entire article here:

The Verge picks up the article from Bloomberg. I don't know if it's that much new information. Surely the $19.99 level to access Spotify lossless has figured before?

IF Spotify makes a move and launches its lossless, it remains to be seen. That very sentence has something déjà vu about it. I know how many many, including myself, have said just that: it remains to be seen.;)

A lot of talk and no workshop, I think it's from Spotify's side.

By the way The Verge mentions the Spotify survey. I participated in in one of them a few weeks ago. Lots of questions about pricing and what I was willing to pay depending on what would be included in the proposed pacts. However, lossless was not explicitly woven into the question battery. Spotify concluded the survey by giving the respondents the opportunity to write general comments about what they thought Spotify should change, improve and/or add to its service offering. Perhaps I don't need to mention what I wrote.;)

Yasuo

$19.99 is too much for me. I would stick to the free tier and buy music for that money - which I can keep forever.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
$19.99 is too much for me. I would stick to the free tier and buy music for that money - which I can keep forever.
Thats bonkers pricing assuming they do the usual trick of swapping $ for GBP £ without converting. You can get Qobuz for a lot less, ditto Tidal.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thats bonkers pricing assuming they do the usual trick of swapping $ for GBP £ without converting. You can get Qobuz for a lot less, ditto Tidal.
And Apple Music and Amazon Music HD…

I also don’t see how this message is different to the previous empty promises? I believe it when it’s actually launched.

beagleman

Major Contributor
I listen to Spotify QUITE a bit!

I think it sounds either quite similar to CD quality/or about the same.
It is so close in my experience, I really feel nothing is lacking, ever.
And that is on fairly demanding classical stuff, and well I guess all I have listened to over the last year or so.....

I have also read on some forums, guys claiming it sounds horrible and is unlistenable also.
Why such a huge divergence in opinions??

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Verge picks up the article from Bloomberg. I don't know if it's that much new information. Surely the $19.99 level to access Spotify lossless has figured before?

IF Spotify makes a move and launches its lossless, it remains to be seen. That very sentence has something déjà vu about it. I know how many many, including myself, have said just that: it remains to be seen.;)

By the way The Verge mentions the Spotify survey. I participated in in one of them a few weeks ago. Lots of questions about pricing and what I was willing to pay depending on what would be included in the proposed pacts. However, lossless was not explicitly woven into the question battery. Spotify concluded the survey by giving the respondents the opportunity to write general comments about what they thought Spotify should change, improve and/or add to its service offering. Perhaps I don't need to mention what I wrote.;)
I'll believe it when I see it. Right now for $17/month family plan Spotify is a bargain - each member of my family has their own login and it's just a little over $3 a person. If they can do lossless with a family plan for $29/month I'd jump at it.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I have also read on some forums, guys claiming it sounds horrible and is unlistenable also.
Why such a huge divergence in opinions??
Expectation bias.

Kegemusha

Yeah right, more than 1,5 years to late?
For me is more than enough 16/44.1, for that I just need to pay around 9$, why pay some 19$?
I could jump to Qobuz otherwise. I am testing Apple Music, got 3 free months, I will not continue after that.

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That price is too high, IMO. I don't think this will go over well. I currently have the 2-person Spotify plan and am again testing Amazon Music HD, which I think will cost $7.99 after the free trial expires. My wife is used to Spotify though, so the choice is between keeping a single for her there and me paying for the Amazon HD as a single. We'll have some decisions to make. I was hoping that when Spotify finally "did it." we could get HD quality for a 2 person household for $15 or $16 a month.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To me, the vast library outweighs the fact it is nearly undistinguishable from CD-quality (you really need very, very special tracks you are very familiar with to be able to reliably tell the difference, plus it doesn't impact my enjoyment of good music). I did the Tidal free trial and their library didn't carry too many of my fav albums.

I had read somewhere that Spotify actually sometimes streams in "HD" to see if it impacts user behavior (prolly meaning if it seduces more users to pull the trigger on subscriptions), but they detected no differences.

Hexspa

We'll see what happens:
View attachment 293926

For those of you who pay, you can read the entire article here:

A little OT but I avoid the virge and bluumberg as well as numerous other “news” outlets especially the myriad “inzider” ones ugh! Reuters, PBS and maybe a little BBC for me.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To me, the vast library outweighs the fact it is nearly undistinguishable from CD-quality (you really need very, very special tracks you are very familiar with to be able to reliably tell the difference, plus it doesn't impact my enjoyment of good music). I did the Tidal free trial and their library didn't carry too many of my fav albums.

I had read somewhere that Spotify actually sometimes streams in "HD" to see if it impacts user behavior (prolly meaning if it seduces more users to pull the trigger on subscriptions), but they detected no differences.
Slightly off-topic, but one year, the BBC streamed the Proms in FLAC instead of their normal 320k AAC. They then carried out a survey and found nobody could reliably tell the difference, ( I couldn't either) so they didn't bother again, as why increase your server costs for no perceived benefit? I would be very surprised if more than 10% of Spotify users even knew what format Spotify was currently streaming in.

S.

holbob

I don’t use spotify because they advertise alcohol on their free tier.
I use spotify because they DO advertise alcohol on their free tier :D

But seriously, Qobuz costs me around £10.60 a month for a year's subscription, I'm not doubling that for podcasts and a worse algorithm. Though admittedly no Megan or Harry now is a bit of a draw card :p

Top Bottom